• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And since we're talking about girls... my girlfriend wants to know if girls wore crombies/women's crombies back in the day. And if not, what was the closest thing to a crombie style overcoat for girls?

Bearing in mind that what we called a 'Crombie' back in the day was a style rather than a make (it was the Biro or Hoover of dark blue overcoats, if you see what I mean), as everyone above has indicated, then I do recall one or two girls wearing coats that had the crombie idea, but were tailored for the female figure. Also a similar cut was available, in other colours, as a lightweight coat in Trevira.

Bela Kun

Reaction score
Cheers, this helps. Any original era photos of girls wearing said style of overcoat (or similar) would be much appreciated.

Edit: what are the coats worn by the girls below called, and were they common for skinhead girls then?

Last edited:

Gsvs5

Reaction score
I can see where you are coming from Botolph,but like the Crombie,The Covert is made from it's namesake fabric.The defining difference of a Covert would be the four or five rows of stitching along the hem and cuffs.Apart from that,style wise is shares most things with a Crombie as we know it.I disagree about the requisite Red linining however as others have stated.I don't recall the girls ones being particularly fitted either? Certainly not like the other styles (Mod-ish tweed?) that have been posted.Though that did happen withe the Trevira/POW Suits that they wore. I 'm guessing these girls were pre skinhead.The shoes and (BOAC?) bag next to the girl in the van sways me in that direction.

Last edited:

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
The term 'Herbert' goes back generations in East London. My grandfather who would be 120 years old today used the term and so did my dad. Other terms for young men were 'Hounds' and 'Roosters'. Definitely not words created by skinheads. 'Sort' however I believe to be a Skinhead created word.

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
Apparently, a Burton suit made to measure would have cost about £225 at today's prices in 1966. At those prices I would have a M to M suit for every day of the week. In 1966 a man would order a suit on average every two years and have to wait about six weeks for it to be made.

TomMc666

Reaction score
MoM: I understand that in the 1980s, 'herbert' was used in the Sounds/Gary Bushell universe to describe someone who follows Oi! music, but is neither skinhead nor punk. He might wear a Harrington, shaggy hair, and is more of an ordinary looking geezer. A bit like a casual, only not as well dressed. Cockney Rejects and East End Badoes are two bands that, I guess, embody the 'herbert' archetype.

Tom Mc666 might be able to tell us more about herberts, though, as I believe a certain band recorded a 'herbert version' of their hit song, Chaos.
The term herbert has been about a good few years, roughly meant you herbert as in you mug or idiot or a bunch of herberts..... its later use around music, god knows, your definition is right, I suppose it must have just sounded right

Bela Kun

Reaction score
This 3/4 length sheepskin coat came in my mail today. Made by Antartex of Scotland some time in the distant past. Four football buttons are on their way.

I suppose it's somewhat different to the original 1969/70 sheepskins - for one, the pockets aren't slanted, and I guess the cream colour would have been 'unusual' back then?

But the fit is amazing, and the coat really looks stylish with dark indigo Levi's and oxblood boots.

What does the skinhead fashion police think?

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers, this helps. Any original era photos of girls wearing said style of overcoat (or similar) would be much appreciated. Edit: what are the coats worn by the girls below called, and were they common for skinhead girls then?
There were a lot of these about in mid-late 1969 around my neck of the woods. A lot of the younger birds wore them as school coats apart from anything else.

Skinheads doc

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know this isn't strictly clothing related but I'm researching a BBC Four documentary about skinheads and I'm trying to speak some women who were skinheads in the late 1960s /early 1970s. Does anyone know any former skinhead girls?

If so (they don't need to still follow the fashions now), please can you drop me a message and I can give you my details for how they can get in touch.

I'm really enjoying the thread!

The Syllabus

Reaction score
Sorry to go off on a tangent here but has anybody on here bar me bought the Solovair "Hawkins" Burgundy Horween Leather Boot from The British Boot Company? If so, what are your thoughts?

Bela Kun

Reaction score
You should post a pic of you wearing it Buddie , with the clothes you described . .
Ain't got a camera, so these awkward laptop 'selfies' will have to suffice. I managed to fit the jeans in, but not the boots...

I'm gonna delete them later as I don't really like putting pics of myself on the web. Anyway... the coat is sweet, isn't it?

[pictures deleted]

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads