• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

bunty

Reaction score
Special request for Mr Brownie C J -

The Beat Club at The Marquee 1967

Not arf!

The King's Arms, Old Kent Road 1962

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The baritone sax player in the Ram Jam Band looks pretty smart (apart from the shoes)

The whole Ram Jam Band's wellies are pretty atrocious!

Interesting that Chris Barber had a good go at German and Dave Lav Trellis didn't.

I always rated Cliff Bennet & the Rebel Rousers - liked their version of the Beatles' 'Got To Get You Into My Life'.

Good grief! 'My Friend Jack Eats Sugar Lumps' - haven't heard that since it was out! Haven't really missed it.

Surely Chas Chandler in the audience at 19:08? Wasn't he Hendrix's manager at the time?

Inks

Reaction score

The whole Ram Jam Band's wellies are pretty atrocious!

Interesting that Chris Barber had a good go at German and Dave Lav Trellis didn't.

I always rated Cliff Bennet & the Rebel Rousers - liked their version of the Beatles' 'Got To Get You Into My Life'.

Good grief! 'My Friend Jack Eats Sugar Lumps' - haven't heard that since it was out! Haven't really missed it.

Surely Chas Chandler in the audience at 19:08? Wasn't he Hendrix's manager at the time?

DLT had a quite the mid-Atlantic accent going on in that. That was a thing for a while with DJs. Also Chas Hodges from Charles and David on bass for Cliff Bennet.

Inks

Reaction score
Good Photo.In "Mods - A New Religion",those College Style T-Shirts started off handmade.Seems there was quite a variety on the Theme.
smile.gif
Didn't some company reproduce the homemade Yale t-shirt featured in Richard Barnes 'Mods' book a few years back ?
The t-shirts in the above photo look screen-printed. Probably not shop-bought though. Maybe a sister at art college did 'em, or one of the lads worked at a printers and knocked them up at lunchtime. (I was a screen printer for many, many years in a former life)

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Didn't some company reproduce the homemade Yale t-shirt featured in Richard Barnes 'Mods' book a few years back ?
The t-shirts in the above photo look screen-printed. Probably not shop-bought though. Maybe a sister at art college did 'em, or one of the lads worked at a printers and knocked them up at lunchtime. (I was a screen printer for many, many years in a former life)

Probably,as the "Look" became more fashionable.Originally it was done with Black Tape ironed on.There are also stories of Chef Jackets(White) being dyed different Colours.This was a little before my time.

Inks

Reaction score
Probably,as the "Look" became more fashionable.Originally it was done with Black Tape ironed on.There are also stories of Chef Jackets(White) being dyed different Colours.This was a little before my time.
If you at the cover of This Is The Modern World, you'll notice the arrows on Weller's sweater are actually strips of Velcro he's bunged on himself. (That's what I reckon anyway)

Gramps

Reaction score
I always thought it was electricians tape, but you could be right about Velcro. At least his Mum could wash it without fear that way ;)

Inks

Reaction score
I always thought it was electricians tape, but you could be right about Velcro. At least his Mum could wash it without fear that way ;)
I've now seen a couple of alternate shots from the same photo shoot. Yeah, looks like leccy tape in those. Wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes.
Shoulda used Velcro.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've now seen a couple of alternate shots from the same photo shoot. Yeah, looks like leccy tape in those. Wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes.
Shoulda used Velcro.

Unlike now,you had Haberdashery Shops in most High Streets.My Mum was always buying stuff from them.I wonder how many Mums have got a Sewing Box now,in this throwaway Society?You could buy black cotton material that could be ironed onto T-Shirts etc.Electrical Tape was expensive and not widely bought(only in Trade Shops),so the average Teenager would not have got it - and it did not last long in a hot Club.:)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads