1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Mod to Suedehead

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Spirit of 69, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Fruitbat

Fruitbat Senior member

If man was not supposed to make shoes out of cows, how comes their hide is made of leather?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    2 people like this.
  2. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

I like the fact that this classic model is being reproduced, and if the micro fibre is really as durable as leather and doesn't look plasticky, then I really don't mind. I might even be interested. My biggest objection is that the tag reads "vegetarian shoes" - now that's a bit embarrassing. It's a bit like wearing a 'save the whales' t-shirt, which I wouldn't do regardless where I stand on the whaling issue.

4 people like this.
  3. flyfronted

flyfronted Senior member

Your talking to Skinheads here not the Guardian's book club

3 people like this.
  4. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

There is a very healthy vegan, straight edge skinhead scene here in the states that has been around at least 20 years.

It's a new world, and I think that it's a great option. I do agree about the tag, but nothing a pair of scissors can't fix.

4 people like this.
  5. covskin

covskin Senior member

^ Haha, that's one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard of. Why the separatism?

6. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Cos they don't feel victimized enough as skinheads-- they feel the need to separate themselves further[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  7. AngryYoungPoor

Hahaha to each their own. If I've learned one thing from reading every single post on this thread over the past 8 years is that there is plenty of room in this subculture for differing views.
    It funny, for a long time I was very ridged in my views concerning what was and wasn't acceptable. I've found that as I get older, things I looked down on even a year or two ago are totally fine with me now. I think middle age is turning me into a right old hippie (or maybe I've just been living in San Francisco too long) haha!

4 people like this.
  8. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

There's nothing about being a skinhead or any other subculture that dictates us to enslave and commodify other sentient life forms. Considering it benefits us all to do the opposite, I don't see why we should continue supporting the status quo.

3 people like this.
  9. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

Cut with a scissors.

10. LeviStubbsTears

LeviStubbsTears Active Member

It's not about separatism, it's really just interspersed and integrated into a lot of different scenes.

Not to drag things further off topic from the clothes, I want to give a little bit of context to help understand the American scene. Most of us got exposed to and interested in skinhead via hardcore punk bands like the Cro-Mags, Agnostic Front, Iron Cross and Warzone. I understand that the originals and purists can't really understand the connection between their scene and that one, but a lot of us would have never got turned out to traditional skinhead style, ska and skinhead reggae without it. One of the connecting threads was Harley Flanagan, who was the 10 year old drummer for the NYC band The Stimulators and claims to have been the first American skinhead when he was exposed to the scene by revivalists when he toured Ireland in the late 70's. Harley was at the epicenter of the NY hardcore scene in the 80's which proliferated its own brand of skinhead style. The same scene was big on straight edge and vegetarinism/veganism (although they definitely didn't always overlap). Harley was a really outspoken vegetarian (also a Hare Krishna and a violent psychopath). As a lot of these ideas kinda diffused out of the same place, it's not that weird to a lot of us when they overlap.

[​IMG]

Young Harley with Andy Warhol and Joe Strummer.

[​IMG]

Teenage Harley with members of Agnostic Front and Warzone in a particularly dark spot in American skinhead style (shaved eyebrows and mesh shirts.)

2 people like this.
  11. Donkey Jacket

Donkey Jacket Senior member

From my experience online with american skinheads, they are more like punks, all a lot of them seem to care about is getting pissed and listening to oi music and trying to be as edgy as possible. Alot of them don't really care about the fashion side, there is exceptions on here of course, but a lot of them make the scruffier original lads look like style gods.

As for vegetarianism, its not really something i will ever understand seeing as a view human beings as omnivores and meat as an essential part of a diet, but at the end of the day im not really bothered seeing as they do not stop me from eating my bacon buttys, lol.

4 people like this.
  12. AngryYoungPoor

This was certainly the case for a very long time but it's almost the opposite now. Although I don't agree with what many US skins wear, (the comedy Dick Emery tag from a page or so ago is spot on) the days of 20 eye boots, oi tee and bleachers are pretty much over in my part of the world. The scene has gotten substantially less violent as well.

13. Donkey Jacket

To be honest i am just going by what i have experienced online, and to be honest im not the smartest looking bloke either most of the times. usually a wrangler jacket and jeans at the moment, sometimes with a beret too. And other times a DJ and jungle greens, or sheepskin with levis or wranglers and 6 eyelet boots.

Although sometimes i can attempt to be smart too.

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  14. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

This really doesn't belong here... but if anyone's looking for the 'missing link' between the British and American scenes, here's a cue: young Harley Flanagan with Getty of The Outcasts in Belfast, 1980. What exactly he was doing there, I've no clue.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. AngryYoungPoor

Thats a good, clean look DJ! loud table cloth tartans and day glo braces are a bit too abrasive for me haha.

3 people like this.
  16. Donkey Jacket

Thanks, i have gone off check shirts too now, and black braces are always the most sensible option, most of my shirts now are just plain white, and also a candy stripe brooks brothers.

2 people like this.
  17. Bela Kun

Bela Kun Senior member

Hear, hear. I'd be a fool to let a style/music subculture dictate my views... I'm not 16 anymore. What's more, I don't see why I shouldn't mix with people whose views are different to mine. We might just learn something from each other.

People are people. No need to form separate, 'pure' skinhead factions for every issue that may arise.

8 people like this.
  18. yankmod

yankmod Senior member

Joe Strummer and Mick Jones were Vegetarians before The Clash and Punk so American Punk (and their progeny) have some elbow room in that area.As for humans "Naturally" being carnivores.Lies and Propaganda.Absolute.

2 people like this.
  19. Ivyskin89

Ivyskin89 Senior member

Most Americans don't have access to decent gear and because none of them want to be labeled a "fashion skin" they put more emphasis on the attitude than the dress.

As for your view on vegetarians, science disagrees. Humans are socially omnivorous but physically herbivorous. True omnivores and carnivores can't develop the diseases that humans get from eating animal products. Bacon is also a class 1A carcinogen. That means eating bacon has the same associated risks for your colon as cigarettes do for your lungs. Plant based diets are proven to reverse the diseases caused by meat consumption.

4 people like this.
  20. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

I really don't have much interest in the skinhead thing at all but this pic here references the brief but classic suedehead look to me and looks spot on.

5 people like this.