• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

btw, this one was missing above.... maybe the cars in the background will clear it now..

More convincing. It would take some organising to 'stage' that.

roytonboy

Reaction score
On to another question that has been touched on but not really in depth from what I can remember of this thread: color schemes. What looked good together and what wouldn't you pair?

Specific colors of specific clothes has been mentioned (jungle greens, stone Sta-prest, brown/ox blood/black boots) ....but I'd like to hear more of how an outfit was put together if it pleases all.

For example...if you wore let's say black boots with a pair of stone Sta-Prest...were there certain color combinations of shirt, sweater vest/or braces, and Harrington/monkey jacket/whatever type of 'overcoat'....that made you feel especially smart? Or was that thinking too much into it?

Good Question Spirit of 89, and welcome.

Back in 1969/71 in our area (Manchester, North West of England) there evolved a 'uniform' look which consisted of Denim Jacket and Jeans (Almost exclusively Levi or Wrangler with the odd Lee Rider Jeans thrown in). Initially black boots were mostly worn but later Cherry Red Doc Martens became by far the most popular. If you deviated much from this look you weren't accepted as the real deal.The variety came with the colour of the shirts and sleeveless pullovers. This was not the case in other parts of the country where a much less rigid dress code was to be found.

Personally I would wear things that didn't clash - i.e. Royal blue sleeveless pullover with blue Gingham shirt, Maroon with Maroon/Sky/White Brutus, Grey with Black White Ben Sherman etc. I tended to wear off white Sta-prest with brown brogues, but they also looked good with Cherry Red Docs (better than black boots with light sta-prest IMHO) Sta-prest with denim jacket was a good look I always thought and I'll wear a similar combination to this day. When Harringtons first came in nearly everybody wore black. Again with two tone trousers (tonics) I always wore a top to match, colour wise e.g Green/gold two tones with green sweater and green shirt.

Today you have much more range of styles and colours available and I would say to you what I said to McDermott - wear what feels right to you and what you feel good in, as you can see from photos and comments on this site, really there are no rules.

Last edited:

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good Question Spirit of 89, and welcome.

Back in 1969/71 in our area (Manchester, North West of England) there evolved a 'uniform' look which consisted of  Denim Jacket and Jeans (Almost exclusively Levi or Wrangler with the odd Lee Rider Jeans thrown in). Initially black boots were mostly worn but later Cherry Red Doc Martens became by far the most popular. The variety came with the colour of the shirts and sleeveless pullovers. This was not the case in other parts of the country where a much less rigid dress code was to be found.

Personally I would wear things that didn't clash - i.e. Royal blue sleeveless pullover with blue Gingham shirt, Maroon with Maroon/Sky/White Brutus, Grey with Black White Ben Sherman etc. I tended to wear off white Sta-prest with brown brogue, but they also looked good with Cherry Red Docs (better than black boots I always thought) Sta-prest with denim jacket was a good look I  always thought and I'll wear a similar combination to this day. When Harringtons first came in nearly everybody wore black. Again with two tone trousers (tonics) I always wore a top to match, colour wise e.g Green/gold two tones with green sweater and green shirt.

Today you have much more range of styles and colours available and I would say to you what I said to McDermott - wear what feels right to you and what you feel good in, as you can see from photos and comments on this site, really there are no rules.

One of the first Harrington Colours was a Lemon Yellow,beautiful colour.

ek77

Reaction score

Gsvs5

Reaction score
One of the first Harrington Colours was a Lemon Yellow,beautiful colour.
I didn't know that Brownie?It does make sense now though,as I have mentioned before,I recall lot of the Birmingham lads wearing yellow ones when I hadn't seen them anywhere else.We all had Black,Navy and Green at the time.The Birmingham lot could be quite smart and were a bit ahead of us.

Spirit of 89

Reaction score
Thanks for the input on my color schemes question Royton. Since most of the pics from the original days are b/w I've been curious. Not so much as a way to gauge my own styling but just in general. I tend to favor comfort/versatility/practicality over the 'details'...so I'll probably be a 'scruffy ****' til I'm old and grey :p
As to the girl in the pic Knightley....I have to agree with EK about that particular photo. I don't know if its the lighting/angle of the photo but it makes her face look kinda off-color and 'sickly' (for lack of a better term). I don't mind her tattoos at all. My wife is heavily tattooed and I think that they can look good on women and men equally. But I understand that many find it 'trashy' and everyone is welcome to their opinions. The only time it bothers me is when I have male customers who get tattooed and then say that they don't want their spouse/girlfriend/whatever to. It's a stupid double-standard IMO.

Last edited:

elwood

Reaction score

Still mining Getty site ... Carnaby Street 1966. Is the jacket on right the suede one with leather collar often mentioned on here (doesn't look like Levi's to me and might have popper buttons)? (Less said about outfit on left, the better! And trousers on right come to that)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads