• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

corker23

Reaction score

Corker - impeccable taste you've got there young man! (I'm referring of course to the badge.......)

Cheers fella, its my own design. I was thinking about getting some enamelled badges made up but I'm skint at the minute. If I do I'll give yer a shout.

Reaction score
Royton Boy -"SSB - I bought Chartbusters Vol. 7 from Javelin Records. I was served by a girl of about my age (16/17) When I got home I discovered 2 copies of the disc in the sleeve. The general consensus among my mates was that she must done it on purpose 'cos she fancied me! Of course, being the shy, retiring type, I didn't believe it and never went back to find out.

I haven't been to Oldham town centre for decades - I wonder, are those little arcades still there?"

Hilton arcade is still there, but no shops in it. Its like most Northern towns, a shadow of its past.

Little Queenie

Reaction score

Great doc on skinheads up north in 71 

Very Interesting. Could you Southerners understand what they were saying?! Where those lads were from is a very deprived area of Newcastle: in fact that's what stood out for me - the air of poverty and deprivation. Knew how to polish their boots, though...... unlike some....

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very Interesting. Could you Southerners understand what they were saying?! Where those lads were from is a very deprived area of Newcastle: in fact that's what stood out for me - the air of poverty and deprivation. Knew how to polish their boots, though...... unlike some....

Little Queenie,I had a Geordie stay in my Flat(in E16)for quite awhile.So I picked the Accent.I also have a God Daughter who is a Geordie(visited that City on more than one occasion).Right about the Boots...:)

flyfronted

Reaction score
I bet in 1971 we would not have but these days regional accents are commonplace and the Geordie one all over the place .. i blame Wor Cheryl .

Bob the Badger

Reaction score
In 1972 I became friends with two girls from the North East (Newbiggin by the sea). They took the mick out of my cockney accent and used to ask me to say the days of the week, etc which had them in stitches. Our party piece was for me to sing 'fog on the Tyne' (Lindisfarne) in a London accent and they would sing 'Lazy Sunday afternoon' (Small Faces) in their strange NE accent.

browniecj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In 1970,myself and a couple of my Mates went around Devon and Cornwall,in a Transit.We stopped off in Newquay and met up with some Newcastle Football Fans.We spent the Evening with them-singing " Blaydon Races",which is pretty good-because we did not know the bloody words.They were a good bunch of fellas.:)

Pequod

Reaction score
The internet platform “Friends Reunited” is a rich source for pictures. Here are some of my findings. More will follow. Please also note descriptions directly to the individual sources.

Dated 1968. Source: http://www.friendsreunited.com/rhyl-1968/Memory/385bdc09-9f08-480b-a9f2-f95fda1aa93b

Dated ca. 1970. http://www.friendsreunited.com/me-n-alan-green001/Memory/118478cb-8758-4568-af99-4df3c8560ad0

Dated late 1960’s. Source with more pics: http://www.friendsreunited.com/where-are-you/Memory/e5671f52-53eb-46cc-8a05-f84d47b1b238

Not sure if that is “original”. No dating. Seem to be all DM soles. http://www.friendsreunited.com/forest-fields-boot-boys/Memory/bf8db081-a1b5-40c5-9d2e-a2280534969c

No dating. Looks “old” to me. http://www.friendsreunited.com/pete...r/Memory/0b6ad365-18fc-4a37-827b-d9c41090d7da

Nice haircut 1971. http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/po...g/Memory/48c7b15c-7962-444a-a399-5bbbd88a5424

yankmod

Reaction score
Agree about deprivation.Sad that even after these skins moved to modern Estates they still hung out in the decimated neighborhood they came from.Had to watch it twice cause of the accent.Noticed the wall with graffiti and the word Skins.Interesting that they wore their pants so high.Above the boots so as to show off the socks (lots of Red socks)Had not seen that before.

Sirryacus

Reaction score
That guy looked to be messed up on drugs or drunk making his geordie accent even less understandable, some of these guys look like they might as well be from Cajun country in the states or even from the eastern bloc.

yankmod

Reaction score
That guy looked to be messed up on drugs or drunk making his geordie accent even less understandable, some of these guys look like they might as well be from Cajun country in the states or even from the eastern bloc.
I'm guessing you mean the hairy was messed up.The hairstyle of some hairies look like Slade.The short top long sides and back.Is that what you mean by Cajun country or the Eastern bloc?You got that style in some parts of Cali still.No? Ice Hockey Hair.(SFA)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads