• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
What does the leg opening measure? I agree they look great as is in that regard, though personally like you Nik I would hem them up. Whatever you do I'll be interested to see the result after tailoring.
I didn't measure the Leg opening yet but I'd imagine between 16 and 18 inches

Ivyskin89

Reaction score
Scored a pair of vintage Levis sta prest on eBay for dirt cheap. These are cool they have a bit of iridescence to them.
IMG_20211024_204047584.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Baffles me why Levi’s release their sta pressts so sporadically. I have a couple of pairs from several years ago. They gave them weird colour names like ‘Timberwolf’ and ‘steel horse’ or whatever - (a dark beige / tan and very light grey). The next go round they had ‘harvest gold’ - I got a pair from Stewart’s but they were hardly different from what I had so I send them back. I think that was the last time they did a release. They are a heavy twill poly cotton which is quite a bit different from the smoother hand and lighter poplin that I had in the late seventies and what the likes of Merc and Relco do.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walk Proud:

You'll be aware that the production of the book stalled some time ago. I've been having discussions with the publisher, and I have accepted their reasons (which I won't go into, tldr) for wanting to end the publication agreement. It's not all bad news, however, as they are helping me to self-publish, effectively. It's too late to try to find an alternative publisher, but as it happens I did set up an imprint, some time ago, mainly for poetry pamphlets, so I have a cool logo, a set of ISBNs, and so on.

The book might end up print-on-demand via Amazon, but on the other hand I might be able to get a small print run done. We'll have to see.

I'm up to my ears in university work at the moment - apart from anything else, my supervisor wants me to do some teaching all of a sudden - so I can't promise that Walk Proud will be appear tomorrow or the day after. But I do promise that it will appear as soon as I can make it happen.

Thank you for your patience.

[logo below]

CinAlla.png

Jamie©️

Reaction score
Hi

I stumbled across this thread a few weeks ago whilst searching for something (can’t even remember what it was now) and am working my way through it (up to page 708 so far). I have literally just registered to say I’m so happy reading the above post M-O-M - I searched for your book and was disappointed thinking I’d missed the boat and it was out of print, probably not your own feelings but I’m so happy it hasn’t happened yet.

I’m a child of the 70s so missed the original skins, but was an 80s mod that drifted into what I suppose would be called “hard mod” these days, but we were still just mods to us. Some of us went down the paisley shirt psych route, some (like me) kept the clothes but went for a no3 with a shaved in parting kind of early skinhead look.

My style to this day still takes its cues from my mod/skin roots but I would never describe myself as a such these days, I just like to look like a well turned out middle aged man.

I am absolutely stunned at the quality of information contained in this thread. It is just fascinating reading and seeing the pics, just a shame so many have been lost over the years. Are any of the original posters Brownie, Roy, Little Queenie etc still in contact with you MOM? I’m not much of a forum person but as bizarre as it sounds I’ve read so much about all your lives, it feels like I sort of know you all....

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
That’s a shame. But I suppose what I’m currently reading happed 8 years ago so it’s to be expected I suppose...
To speak about the « old posters » sadly gone, I was in touch with buttons until around two years ago, and I’m still in touch with Roytonboy.
And of course with a few other lads still more or less active on StyleForum.

Jamie©️

Reaction score
To speak about the « old posters » sadly gone, I was in touch with buttons until around two years ago, and I’m still in touch with Roytonboy.
And of course with a few other lads still more or less active on StyleForum.

Hi Clouseau
Funnily enough I’m pretty sure I’ve met Buttons a few times at Scooter rallies years ago. I haven’t been to one for getting on for 20 years now but the first time I saw his pics on here I thought “I know that fella”

I’ve had a mooch about on a few other threads on this forum but tbh this is the only one I can relate to.

Its going to take me a while but I’m determined to read the entire thread. Hopefully I’ll get to the point where I’ll be familiar with some of the recent posters and will be able to get a bit more involved.

Did any of you know Slade were a skinhead band? ???

PS Spookily enough ive just got to your first post on here - 18 May 2013! ?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics