• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a great look on the trousers I agree - maybe just a bad pic. Your trousers on your crombie pic look like they could do with an iron too and look as cheap as his ( which I doubt are 9.99 eBay jobs) . Until I saw in real life I wouldn't judge though.
I'm not having a pop at anyone on here - was just asking the group why the seem to be so adamant that he looks a mess when they wear the same clothes ?
Dope man I think that's a bit harsh, DJ looks sharp. "Clean living under difficult circumstances" springs to mind.
I reckon it might have been a Weller dressing up session for the Suedehead book by Smiler.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BOOK LAUNCH

Don't get too excited, no details as yet, but you can help plan this.

Walk Proud is getting closer and closer to being printed. I'm in discussion with the publisher (a small publishing house in Ireland) about details. We don't have a launch date as yet, so we're just kicking ideas around. Here are some of them:

1] A single big launch
The main disadvantage, from my own point of view, is that it's bound to involve travel and accommodation expense; I'm the editor, so I have to be there, and I'm incredibly busy from July to the end of the year. Hiring somewhere, ensuring there are adequate facilities, etc. etc. etc. might not be financially viable for a niche book and a small publisher. It would need a large print run to be available on the day.

On the plus side, it would start things rolling with a big splash.

2] Two or more 'mini-launches'
Having a series of smaller launch events could work, and work fairly cheaply. I have emailed Mr. Knightley to see if he can run something 'down south'. Meanwhile, I'm going to get in touch with the Edinburgh Book Fringe (if it's running this year) to see if I can have a slot. The events take place in bookshops, so I might persuade the shop in question to stock the book.

Whilst it would have been good to get into the Edinburgh International Book Festival this year, that's a non-starter; but there are lots of smaller, more local literary and arts festivals. Do you know of one near you? Would you feel confident about running an event? There are Reggae and soul nights, scooter conventions, W.H.Y. - would an event at one of these be viable?

Just ideas at this stage.

3] A 'soft launch'
Given that so much is done on-line these days, it ought to be entirely possible to whip up enthusiasm via facebook, Twitter, W.H.Y., and simply launch on Amazon. It's also a cheap option.

No matter which way we go, we're going to need publicity. There's the "Mod to Bootboy" group on Facebook. There's here. Does anyone know of any magazines, ezines, etc. that would give us publicity?

I'm open to ideas across the board, but please don't be offended if you come up with a really good one and it doesn't get acted upon - the publisher has the final say.

Hi MoM have a look at the Ilkley literature festival held about August time, not that close to me unfortunately. It has been running since the seventies and has events around the town over a few days.
It is being launched this year by the new Poet Laureate Simon Armitage, who is from Leeds, and is well into his music and also likes his clothes.
One of the venues is normally at a small bookshop called the Grove. Just a thought and a nice town to visit to boot.
On Ilkley Moor bar t'at

Last edited:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to see a great Midlands based soul band last night in York called The Stone Foundation, at a small venue for a 8 piece band but the sound was superb.
They do a lot of touring, and would highly recommend going to see them if they are playing near you. They've been around for a lot of years and Have collaborated with many great artists, Betty Lavette, Mavis Staples, and Weller to name a few.
Met the band after the gig and they were friendly and funny. They have a kind of mod image, the two trumpet players are definitely mods, not spring chickens though probably have an average age of fiftyish.

The wife said that I shouldn't wear these light coloured trousers to the gig.

IMG_7368.JPG

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi MoM have a look at the Ilkley literature festival held about August time, not that close to me unfortunately. It has been running since the seventies and has events around the town over a few days.
It is being launched this year by the new Poet Laureate Simon Armitage, who is from Leeds, and is well into his music and also likes his clothes.
One of the venues is normally at a small bookshop called the Grove. Just a thought and a nice town to visit to boot.
On Ilkley Moor bar t'at

Tha's bin a-coortin Mary Jane!

Worth checking out. Thanks.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Not a great look on the trousers I agree - maybe just a bad pic. Your trousers on your crombie pic look like they could do with an iron too and look as cheap as his ( which I doubt are 9.99 eBay jobs) . Until I saw in real life I wouldn't judge though.
I'm not having a pop at anyone on here - was just asking the group why the seem to be so adamant that he looks a mess when they wear the same clothes ?

They were quite old perma press trousers, tailored from being flared to straight leg, they were mohair so changed colour at angles, they wouldnt of needed ironing cos i am always OCD about ****. I don't have them anymore cos the zip give in and i got fatter.

They were not super great quality like old levis sp but they were far better than the modern offerings.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Hi Donkey that is a great look going on there, what are the shoes? Did you get stick for walking around dressed like that, I used to get hassle all the time if I was in town at night, I always stood out and was an easy target for morons, but didn't let it stop me. Fortunately working at the pit there was always back up around the corner when needed. They thought that I was unusual but " I was one of theirs."

Thanks buddy, they are Charles tyrwhitt longwing brogues. I sometimes get stick off of chavs etc cos they are ignorant cunts, but they are easily sorted. No trouble off older folk, some of them said they appreciate cos they used to dress like it. I actually went out with a middle aged woman, because she liked my style hahaha.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BOOK LAUNCH

Don't get too excited, no details as yet, but you can help plan this.

Walk Proud is getting closer and closer to being printed. I'm in discussion with the publisher (a small publishing house in Ireland) about details. We don't have a launch date as yet, so we're just kicking ideas around. Here are some of them:

1] A single big launch
The main disadvantage, from my own point of view, is that it's bound to involve travel and accommodation expense; I'm the editor, so I have to be there, and I'm incredibly busy from July to the end of the year. Hiring somewhere, ensuring there are adequate facilities, etc. etc. etc. might not be financially viable for a niche book and a small publisher. It would need a large print run to be available on the day.

On the plus side, it would start things rolling with a big splash.

2] Two or more 'mini-launches'
Having a series of smaller launch events could work, and work fairly cheaply. I have emailed Mr. Knightley to see if he can run something 'down south'. Meanwhile, I'm going to get in touch with the Edinburgh Book Fringe (if it's running this year) to see if I can have a slot. The events take place in bookshops, so I might persuade the shop in question to stock the book.

Whilst it would have been good to get into the Edinburgh International Book Festival this year, that's a non-starter; but there are lots of smaller, more local literary and arts festivals. Do you know of one near you? Would you feel confident about running an event? There are Reggae and soul nights, scooter conventions, W.H.Y. - would an event at one of these be viable?

Just ideas at this stage.

3] A 'soft launch'
Given that so much is done on-line these days, it ought to be entirely possible to whip up enthusiasm via facebook, Twitter, W.H.Y., and simply launch on Amazon. It's also a cheap option.

No matter which way we go, we're going to need publicity. There's the "Mod to Bootboy" group on Facebook. There's here. Does anyone know of any magazines, ezines, etc. that would give us publicity?

I'm open to ideas across the board, but please don't be offended if you come up with a really good one and it doesn't get acted upon - the publisher has the final say.

Yes, we exchanged emails. I am on holiday at the moment but will start to give it some thought.

I like the idea of two or more mini-launches with one possibly in London. There could perhaps be other venues than bookshops that may be up for it.

I have never launched a book so need to understand a bit more about how it is usually funded?

This is getting exciting and well done M-o-M for leading us to this point!

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Natty Meadens quote was "Clean living under difficult circumstances", he was a visionary and sadly died in 1978 of an overdose, at his parents house and had suffered with mental health problems for many years. He actually coined the phrase in an interview for the NME in 1975, many years after his involvement with the original mod movement.
He had been robbed of the Who's management by shitesters Lambert and Stamp, having wrote the 2 sides of the who's first single then known as the high numbers, and designed the now famous who arrow logo, and gave them a new Mod image.
I believe that Pete Townsend paid for his funeral, he carried on in management, with Jimmy James and the vagabonds amongst others.
Some people's candles burn too fast and he surely was one of them, probably naive and not equipped to take on the big boys.

View attachment 1178007
Hello Yorky , I'm not sure that the Who would agree that Lambert and Stamp were 'shitesters' , especially since they made a film to pay tribute to the duo . Meaden was paid something like £500 for the Who by Lambert and Stamp , which for an unknown band c1964 was probably fair . Meaden , re-wrote the songs for the High Numbers single , using Got Love if You Want It by Slim Harpo and Misery by the Dynamics for the Zoot Suit track . Whereas , Lambert in particular helped to bring out Pete Townsends personal writing skills.
Meaden was basically trying to develop a Mod boy band and whilst he did get them exposure and a record he never brought them the kind of success Lambert and Stamp did . I'm sure Meaden was happy with the £500 initially but when he saw the huge success of what he referred to as 'his band' then sour grapes entered into the deal he had previously brokered with Lambert and Stamp.
Meaden was the epitome of a 6ts London Mod and as well as having style he also had a drug habit that went along with that which may well have led to the mental problems he experienced in the later part of his short life .
I think you are spot on about Townsend paying for Meaden's funeral , as the Who never forgot the guy and his early efforts to get them success , he is mentioned in the original album cover for Quadrophenia and also mentioned in the original sleeve notes for Odds and Sods . . if you happen to own an original copy of the High Numbers record , it is worth around £1400. .

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Yorky , I'm not sure that the Who would agree that Lambert and Stamp were 'shitesters' , especially since they made a film to pay tribute to the duo . Meaden was paid something like £500 for the Who by Lambert and Stamp , which for an unknown band c1964 was probably fair . Meaden , re-wrote the songs for the High Numbers single , using Got Love if You Want It by Slim Harpo and Misery by the Dynamics for the Zoot Suit track . Whereas , Lambert in particular helped to bring out Pete Townsends personal writing skills.
Meaden was basically trying to develop a Mod boy band and whilst he did get them exposure and a record he never brought them the kind of success Lambert and Stamp did . I'm sure Meaden was happy with the £500 initially but when he saw the huge success of what he referred to as 'his band' then sour grapes entered into the deal he had previously brokered with Lambert and Stamp.
Meaden was the epitome of a 6ts London Mod and as well as having style he also had a drug habit that went along with that which may well have led to the mental problems he experienced in the later part of his short life .
I think you are spot on about Townsend paying for Meaden's funeral , as the Who never forgot the guy and his early efforts to get them success , he is mentioned in the original album cover for Quadrophenia and also mentioned in the original sleeve notes for Odds and Sods . . if you happen to own an original copy of the High Numbers record , it is worth around £1400. .
Hi Saint got both on original 45 singles, and know a few geezers that have the original Hi Numbers 45.

I just think that some people got ripped off in the 60's, like the Small Faces by Don Arden. Meaden was ripped off by people with more money, Kit Lambert came from an aristocratic family and wanted to mix it with the "lower classes".
Can't fault the Who, but to me there was a bit of guilt on Townsends part hence paying for the funeral.

The Saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Saint got both on original 45 singles, and know a few geezers that have the original Hi Numbers 45.

I just think that some people got ripped off in the 60's, like the Small Faces by Don Arden. Meaden was ripped off by people with more money, Kit Lambert came from an aristocratic family and wanted to mix it with the "lower classes".
Can't fault the Who, but to me there was a bit of guilt on Townsends part hence paying for the funeral.
l think you are spot on about people getting ripped off in the 6ts and by all intents Don Arden did sound like a bit of a **** and l know Townsend said Ronnie Lane never made any money out of the Small Faces but Lambert and Stamp were able to pay the Who a wage , which was something Meaden didn't do or couldn't do.
Yeah , Kit Lambert was the son of Constant Lambert and by all intents a bit of a character but was clever with money . When Kit and Stamp set up Track Records in 1967 they did manage to sign some prestigeous names such as John Lennon and Jimi Hendrix .
Respect to Meaden for spotting the talent first off but I honestly don't think he could have taken the Who to where Lambert and Stamp did . .my opinion based on the data l have , to be fair , their dabbling in drugs was even more fierce than that of Meaden
I personally think Townsend paying for Meaden's funeral was more an act of kindness and respect rather than guilt or remorse. .

Last edited:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just reminded me that my technical drawing teacher went to school with Pete Townshend and 'had the biggest chrome bubbles south of Watford', whatever that means.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Were flared-ish trousers worn at any time in the earlier 70s? recently got some old terylene durable press trousers from a charity shop, they have a really sharp crease but they have a 10 inch flare, i kind of like it tbh (sacrilege i know) i was thing of altering them to 9 inch bottoms when i have the cash, but i never feel right altering older clobber.

Wouldn't have them 8 inch anymore as i dont find slim fit comfortable anymore or like how they look that much(did get some slim ct non iron chinos recently but have gone off them after wearing them for a day)

They don't look that bad with my new crombie, and my longer hair. Closest i have found to something similar is the lad in the middle.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were flared-ish trousers worn at any time in the earlier 70s? recently got some old terylene durable press trousers from a charity shop, they have a really sharp crease but they have a 10 inch flare, i kind of like it tbh (sacrilege i know) i was thing of altering them to 9 inch bottoms when i have the cash, but i never feel right altering older clobber.

Wouldn't have them 8 inch anymore as i dont find slim fit comfortable anymore or like how they look that much(did get some slim ct non iron chinos recently but have gone off them after wearing them for a day)

They don't look that bad with my new crombie, and my longer hair. Closest i have found to something similar is the lad in the middle.

Flares were very much an early 70s thing, parallel to begin with then they just got a lot more flared as the decade wore on

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’ve answered your own question with that pic. As the seventies progressed the strides got wider and wider, with waist bands higher and higher. I knew a lad with a pair that looked like an aikido sensei’s hakama with a five button waistband.
Things got worse and worse until the punk explosion which migrated round ours late 76 more fully by 1977. Suddenly wide strides, kipper ties, bloated lapels and long point collar shirts were all off the table. I was never really into the music and snarling antisocial stance of punk and due to my geographical distance from the epicenter and tender years didn’t really understand the subtleties, but thank Christ it provided a catalyst which rescued us from the most dreadful period of menswear style since men doffed their powdered wigs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads