• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't that particular cut become stereotypical because of him, though?
His cut in the past has always been a variation on a theme. A style based around a cut favoured by mods in the 60's called the French line.
Examples below.

Weller in The Jam

IMG_7353.JPG

Steve Marriott The Small Faces

IMG_7354.JPG

David Bowie probably King Bees period

IMG_7356.JPG

Marc Feld ( Bolan) in the foreground, early Mod looking a bit Edwardian.

IMG_7358.JPG

Eddie Phillips The Creation using a violin bow on his guitar before Jimmy Page.

IMG_7366.JPG

Rod Stewart on the left in Steampacket

IMG_7361.JPG

Funny clip from Viz magazine

IMG_7355.PNG

dopeman

Reaction score
Don't see anything different about Wellers outfit than the look most on here wear ?
Check shirt with proper collar?
Sleeveless cardi ?
Aviators?
Stay press style trousers ?
Doc Martin (style) boots ?

What is it that is irking everyone - the colours of his outfit or the fact that his boots aren't ones you know the make of ?
You can guarantee all his clothes will be expensive/ good quality btw.

It's also worth remembering that Weller was an actual suedehead at the time it happened , so (originals aside) has more of a clue and a right to the 'look' than most on here . He has lived it all his life.
To describe his gear as the mod equivalent of those yellow braces revival types is not fair .
Imo he is just an old guy who found a couple of items that remind him of how he dressed when he was 15 ..
Isn't that what we are all doing (without his budget!)?

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
I didn't realize someone had anymore a ''right'' to a look more than anyone else, you are taking this thing far too seriously, and from what i have seen on here most people who are probably 10 times worse off then Weller look better than him on that picture. Just because you have money does not mean you have class.

That shirt hes wearing looks like one of the louder brutus checks

Brutus-Navy-Xmas-Tartan-Check-Shirt.jpg

and the sta prest look like the skinnier relco and warrior jobbers, perhaps even merc. Its a fallacy that if you rich it means that you are going to spend a massive amount on clobber all the time, just look at bill gates for example.

Last edited:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize someone had anymore a ''right'' to a look more than anyone else, you are taking this thing far too seriously, and from what i have seen on here most people who are probably 10 times worse off then Weller look better than him on that picture. Just because you have money does not mean you have class.

That shirt hes wearing looks like one of the louder brutus checks

Brutus-Navy-Xmas-Tartan-Check-Shirt.jpg

and the sta prest look like the skinnier relco and warrior jobbers, perhaps even merc. Its a fallacy that if you rich it means that you are going to spend a massive amount on clobber all the time, just look at bill gates for example.
Hi Donkey only 10 times worse off, wish I had 10% of his net worth, having said that he does have 8 kids. He is supposedly a tight wad according to some people " he expects his change when he has bought a round" so do I, but I've heard loads about him where he gives money away and doesn't bleat on about it. He gave £250,000 quid to the National Union of Mineworkers during the miners strike a lot of money in 1984 and even now, and recorded a record under the name of The Council Collective, and all pfofits went to help striking miners families, plus to the taxi drivers that was killed whilst taking strike breakers into work.

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Hi Donkey only 10 times worse off, wish I had 10% of his net worth, having said that he does have 8 kids. He is supposedly a tight wad according to some people " he expects his change when he has bought a round" so do I, but I've heard loads about him where he gives money away and doesn't bleat on about it. He gave £250,000 quid to the National Union of Mineworkers during the miners strike a lot of money in 1984 and even now, and recorded a record under the name of The Council Collective, and all pfofits went to help striking miners families, plus to the taxi drivers that was killed whilst taking strike breakers into work.

Can give him props for that.

Im not the smartest dressed bloke i guess mainly due to money constraints, i have to alter my own clothes most times(mainly shortening and making trousers longer with stitching) cant saying anything i have fits 100% perfect, and i have to rely on second hand gear most times. I am most proud of this pic, my own take at being a ''suedehead'' a couple of years ago(getting back into dressing more like this as my hair is longer again)

img_20171208_134202-jpg.888212

For me its ''trying to be stylish under difficult circumstances'' lol

Oneflewover

Reaction score
I used to attend Rockabilly nights with her and vice versa. What struck me was that some of the music that was played was also the kind of thing that I listened to e.g. Late fifties RandB. I expected to see a load of old Teds, but the blokes mainly wore what I would call the James Dean look Harringtons and levis, and the women a 40's/50's look.

Maybe one for the look goes on, however, IMHO, there is lot of opportunity for crossover, especially in shirtage. I'm a great fan of the bolling type striped shirts, and the Art Gallery knitwear.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't Peter Meaden's definition of mod something along the lines of "Stylish living under difficult circumstances" ?
Hi Natty Meadens quote was "Clean living under difficult circumstances", he was a visionary and sadly died in 1978 of an overdose, at his parents house and had suffered with mental health problems for many years. He actually coined the phrase in an interview for the NME in 1975, many years after his involvement with the original mod movement.
He had been robbed of the Who's management by shitesters Lambert and Stamp, having wrote the 2 sides of the who's first single then known as the high numbers, and designed the now famous who arrow logo, and gave them a new Mod image.
I believe that Pete Townsend paid for his funeral, he carried on in management, with Jimmy James and the vagabonds amongst others.
Some people's candles burn too fast and he surely was one of them, probably naive and not equipped to take on the big boys.

IMG_7373.JPG

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can give him props for that.

Im not the smartest dressed bloke i guess mainly due to money constraints, i have to alter my own clothes most times(mainly shortening and making trousers longer with stitching) cant saying anything i have fits 100% perfect, and i have to rely on second hand gear most times. I am most proud of this pic, my own take at being a ''suedehead'' a couple of years ago(getting back into dressing more like this as my hair is longer again)

img_20171208_134202-jpg.888212

For me its ''trying to be stylish under difficult circumstances'' lol
Hi Donkey that is a great look going on there, what are the shoes? Did you get stick for walking around dressed like that, I used to get hassle all the time if I was in town at night, I always stood out and was an easy target for morons, but didn't let it stop me. Fortunately working at the pit there was always back up around the corner when needed. They thought that I was unusual but " I was one of theirs."

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BOOK LAUNCH

Don't get too excited, no details as yet, but you can help plan this.

Walk Proud is getting closer and closer to being printed. I'm in discussion with the publisher (a small publishing house in Ireland) about details. We don't have a launch date as yet, so we're just kicking ideas around. Here are some of them:

1] A single big launch
The main disadvantage, from my own point of view, is that it's bound to involve travel and accommodation expense; I'm the editor, so I have to be there, and I'm incredibly busy from July to the end of the year. Hiring somewhere, ensuring there are adequate facilities, etc. etc. etc. might not be financially viable for a niche book and a small publisher. It would need a large print run to be available on the day.

On the plus side, it would start things rolling with a big splash.

2] Two or more 'mini-launches'
Having a series of smaller launch events could work, and work fairly cheaply. I have emailed Mr. Knightley to see if he can run something 'down south'. Meanwhile, I'm going to get in touch with the Edinburgh Book Fringe (if it's running this year) to see if I can have a slot. The events take place in bookshops, so I might persuade the shop in question to stock the book.

Whilst it would have been good to get into the Edinburgh International Book Festival this year, that's a non-starter; but there are lots of smaller, more local literary and arts festivals. Do you know of one near you? Would you feel confident about running an event? There are Reggae and soul nights, scooter conventions, W.H.Y. - would an event at one of these be viable?

Just ideas at this stage.

3] A 'soft launch'
Given that so much is done on-line these days, it ought to be entirely possible to whip up enthusiasm via facebook, Twitter, W.H.Y., and simply launch on Amazon. It's also a cheap option.

No matter which way we go, we're going to need publicity. There's the "Mod to Bootboy" group on Facebook. There's here. Does anyone know of any magazines, ezines, etc. that would give us publicity?

I'm open to ideas across the board, but please don't be offended if you come up with a really good one and it doesn't get acted upon - the publisher has the final say.

dopeman

Reaction score
I didn't realize someone had anymore a ''right'' to a look more than anyone else, you are taking this thing far too seriously,

Hey dj - you are taking what I said out of context here.
It is my opinion that someone who was actually buying and wearing the clothes (on which you have spent a large part of your life obsessing over and "taking too seriously" ) in 1972 has more of a "right" to an opinion on what is "correct" skinhead attire than someone who gathers knowledge of the internet 50 years later and attempts to recreate something they have no experience of .
Just they way some on here try and say what what was worn at the time despite people like MOM saying the opposite .
Nothing wrong with being in a WW2 re-enactment society , but I'd rather listen to someone who was actually there if I wanted to find out what it was really like .

For the record Weller was just as working class as you.
I'm sure if you had his £ you would be buying some nice clothes too . It's what we all would do.

"Just because you have money does not mean you have class."

No-one said this in the first place , so why bring it up as if I'd said words to that effect?

"That shirt hes wearing looks like one of the louder brutus checks"

It does look like one of them . Checked Brutus shirts not suedehead any more ?

"and the sta prest look like the skinnier relco and warrior jobbers, perhaps even merc. Its a fallacy that if you rich it means that you are going to spend a massive amount on clobber all the time, just look at bill gates for example.

Not a great look on the trousers I agree - maybe just a bad pic. Your trousers on your crombie pic look like they could do with an iron too and look as cheap as his ( which I doubt are 9.99 eBay jobs) . Until I saw in real life I wouldn't judge though.
I'm not having a pop at anyone on here - was just asking the group why the seem to be so adamant that he looks a mess when they wear the same clothes ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads