• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Menswear Industry: How Do I Get My Foot In the Door?

DeanDaley

Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m writing this thread because I’m seeking advice/suggestions in getting work in a menswear company (or womenswear company). So far I’ve had no success in landing an entry-level position in a company.

I’ve started my own LLC menswear company with the dream of making it into something successful — so far completely on my own. Through that process, I’ve learned so much! I’ve taken my company from inception to producing samples.

I don’t have a fashion BFA degree — I have a BFA in graphic design. I feel the on-the-job experience from my own company, the fashion courses I have completed, and the skills from my many years as a graphic designer can fulfill many of the required tasks in an entry level fashion position. I would say I qualify for assistant designer and assistant tech designer positions.

Here’s a brief breakdown of what I have to offer:
Skills
• Sketching
• Knowledge of garment construction
• Produce technical designs using Adobe Illustrator
• Produce tech packs with detailed construction instructions
• Produce spec sheets
• Produce flat drawings
• Work with pattern makers to ensure fit and ensure design integrity
• Work with garment factory and other vendors

Technical Skills
• Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign)
• Web PDM and PLM
• Word
• Excel

Education
• BFA Graphic Design
• AAS Advertising Design
• AAS General Illustration

Continuing Education Courses
• Product Development With PLM / Gerber Web PDM
• Intro to Textile for Fashion Designers
• Fashion Design Using Adobe Photoshop
• Fashion Design Using Adobe Illustrator
• Sewing Techniques I
• Fashion Art and Design

I am always looking to learn more and working at an established menswear brand would facilitate additional knowledge, experience, and exposure.

Any advice getting my foot in the door or and business tips?

Thanks all!

MenswearBabe

Reaction score
If your goal is to eventually run your own company, find a company that's like the one you wish to run someday. What kind of menswear company would you like to run/work in? A boutique? An ONLINE seller? Manufacture? All of these are different of course.

I started in shipping @ my company. That way I got to pack and ship every item that went out so I got to touch everything with my hands and learn about fabrics, quality and brands.

I guess there are different ways you can approach this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics