• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Meermin Shell Group MTO

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meermin's in-stock shell offering is limited, but I would like to gauge potential interest for a group MTO. At this point, I'm just looking to survey whether it is possible to get members together (including myself) to agree on a particular style / color.

I can also reach out to Pepe to see what's possible at this point, given the lack of information on the site regarding shells. If somebody can post some pictures or provide informative commentary on previous Meermin shell purchases, that would be great as well.

Prefer: Derby

Acceptable: Pretty much everything...

Don't like: any black shells and dark brown (if it's a chukka)

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I would do a derby or chukka in anything that's not black. For a chukka, I'd like a double sole with Norwegian welt. For a derby, something with just two or three eyelets, and single sole and flat welt - a bit more dainty, and preferably a lighter colour.

I'm open to suggestions, but count me in so far.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in a simple five-eyelet derby with a ramshead medallion in something like cognac.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's probably easier to categorize it as "prefer, acceptable or don't like" so we can match designs of people choices accordingly.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe it's 320 euros plus 35 euros for shipping.

If it's shipped to the US, take around 18% off the 320 euro price to exclude vat taxes. I would say approximately $410 before duties. I paid around $30 bucks for a $500 order last time around. So you're looking at a pair of hand welted MTO shell shoes for under $450.

From my understanding, they don't use Horween leather, which may be the reason why they can price it at this level.

Last edited:

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My proposal was:

Black or dark brown shell
Chukka
Hiro or Olfe lasts
360 flat welt
Double leather or rubber soles.

Don't think there was much interest without significant deviation, though.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
My only deviation on that is that I'd love a Norwegian (and I wouldn't do the black). But I'll go with the flow - and even as a group MTO, we might be able to choose different welt/sole options as long as the upper patterns, shell and lasts are the same? Vass certainly don't mind.

Last edited:

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm certainly not ready to commit yet, but I'm curious to see what you guys settle on. Have you thought about some sort of boot - perhaps similar to the wildly popular Carmina jumper boot or Meermin's standard boot model (shown below right, from their instagram)? Could be great with a rubber sole and something in the mid/dark brown range. I'm imagining the Hiro or Rui last.

Of course, I'm not really sold on Meermin shell since I've seen so many weird pictures of it lightening up on the creases, possibly due to the weird way they apply the color (or so it seems).

Anyway, food for thought.

pinchi22

Reaction score
May be interested in a derby in cigar, oxblood or dark brown. Preferably in single leather sole in Hiro or Olfe last.

Last edited:

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to gauge the interest for a potential MTO shell PTB. How about something like this?

Color: Dark Brown, Burgundy, Saddle or whatever they have (except black)
Eyelets: Exposed 4 to 6 eyelets
Sole: Danite, Half rubber, Single Leather, or Double Leather
Welt: Stormwelt on antique or dark edge
Linning: Blue, Red, Brown, etc...

We need about six people to waive the MTO fee. Let's see how far this goes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads