• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maison Bonnet

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whats their pricing for tortoise these days? They started at $8k euro a few years back. I have noticed their lenses are nicer than what I used to get from my regular optician in NYC.

That sounds about right. They use Zeiss lenses, which are available here too.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think mine are Seiko (or some other japanese brand that I didn’t know made lenses), not Zeiss.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure how I can be clearer. I have a fitting waiting for me. Just as with a bespoke suit, you have to try on a working version of the physical thing so they can make fit adjustments. This is more critical with tortoise shell than acetate, due to both the expense of the material/labor and the unforgiving nature of shell—apparently it can give you bad headaches if the arms are too tight, or so they tell me. In contrast, my bespoke acetate frames from Bonnet were made straight to final and fine-tuned at pick-up.

Put another way, bespoke acetate frames from Maison Bonnet take only two visits. Tortoise shell takes at least three (maybe more). They don’t ship to the U.S.
Got it. I was under the impression that you already had the glasses in NYC. And since we don’t wear our suits between fittings, I was confused. But I understand what you’re saying now. Thanks for the clarification.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds about right. They use Zeiss lenses, which are available here too.
Zeiss is only one option. We went with it as it best matched the shade of grey of my horn glasses. My wife did not go with Zeiss on her acetate pair as it was not even one of the options they suggested.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit late. Sorry. Here are the shots of the second fitting for my grey horn.

My wife getting her acetate fitted. The newer employees fit the acetate. About 45 minutes in my wife’s case. But then a super senior guy (pictured) comes in. He shows the junior guy what is not perfect and corrects things. The attention to detail is super impressive. Imagine @Despos ridiculous attention to infinitesimal details but for glasses.
E771288D-DD7C-47D1-ABA5-6324CA81354B.jpeg

Self-explanatory:
220AF669-2CC1-4C3B-989C-BC26FD150C88.jpeg

E10EF165-B07B-41E5-AE55-10F1928979B9.jpeg

Forged by fire and files:
ECCDDB75-F1CB-4F1B-A0FD-18D9BA9FDFB9.jpeg

1EC1EBE8-8D76-4252-9F84-A88CD4F97FCA.jpeg

The final product:
B32B3086-7E0C-4D90-A4F5-6CD1FD7EB062.jpeg

Attachments

• 87DC8481-67E3-4B00-A1FE-65AA7B1C29A6.jpeg
    87DC8481-67E3-4B00-A1FE-65AA7B1C29A6.jpeg
    446.9 KB · Views: 81

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@brax
ridiculous attention to infinitesimal details

Think this is what your clients pay you to do as well!

Do they use a special type of hinge? Wearing glasses for most of my life, have narrowed my definition of a quality frame to the hinge used. Have stuck to a specific brand, Alian Mikli, for this reason. Can wear the frames for years and never need a further adjustment. Not my experience with other brands, Other frames would get out of line and never could be adjusted to fit as well.

The interior of their place is amazing. The stone and wood. WOW! love it!

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Despos
True but it’s not always possible. Some places don’t have the expertise and some don’t have the drive. So when we (as clients/customers) run across someone who has both (be it in tailoring, coffee, glasses, etc.) it’s a great treat.

No idea about the hinges. They did explain that only acetate allows them to bend the frame back towards the arm. In horn or shell, the arm meets the frame at a right angle. So different hinges are used depending on the material used.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Despos
True but it’s not always possible. Some places don’t have the expertise and some don’t have the drive. So when we (as clients/customers) run across someone who has both (be it in tailoring, coffee, glasses, etc.) it’s a great treat.

No idea about the hinges. They did explain that only acetate allows them to bend the frame back towards the arm. In horn or shell, the arm meets the frame at a right angle. So different hinges are used depending on the material used.
Mikli hinges were designed to work like your shoulder. They have a degree of rotation and seem to lock in the adjustment with unrestricted flex.
Favorite coffee in Paris were the Australian owned shops. They are easy to find

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mikli hinges were designed to work like your shoulder. They have a degree of rotation and seem to lock in the adjustment with unrestricted flex.
Favorite coffee in Paris were the Australian owned shops. They are easy to find
I had a few on my list but was never near one. This, of course, does not count the traditional bistro and coffee shops. I still can’t believe I walked out of Café de Flore without a demi-tasse and saucer. Bad move on my part.

I did find a third wave coffee shop near where we’re staying in Barcelona. Satan’s coffee has a motto of “No WiFi; No decaf; and No bullshit.”

konstantis

Reaction score
Could anyone comment Ateliers Baudin in comparison to Maison Bonnet ? Aterlier’s Baudin “oreilles retournée”, which literally means: flipped ears seems really interesting. Thanks.

konstantis

Reaction score
Could anyone comment Ateliers Baudin in comparison to Maison Bonnet ? Aterlier’s Baudin “oreilles retournée”, which literally means: flipped ears seems really interesting. Thanks.
Anyone ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads