• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Maftei

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When a thread has too many pages, I tend not to open it. I am starting a new thread to showcase the products that come out of this project.

Before it comes up, I was quoted EUR 690 + 100 for last (about 6 months ago; this is of course subject to change). Pretty good considering the dollar's recent strength.

Mine are not done, but these are another SF member's shoes (which I understand from thansen we have permission to post). Enough to alleviate some gloom and doom I'm sure:

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I opened this thread thinking I'd get a glimpse of your Adelaides. Since they're not ready, I'll redirect attention to this:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...37#post1394737

So far, I've gotten:
Originally Posted by Manton
I asked one of the Cleverley guys this a long time ago, and he said he didn't know. Maybe they were popular in Adelaide, Australia 100 years ago. Maybe the original John Lobb had a mistress named Adelaide, and he named the style after her.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Pure speculation: The style is English, and so I'd guess it's named for Queen Adelaide, wife of William IV. The Australian city is named for her, and she remained a popular figure when she died in the mid-1800s, a time of innovation in the English shoemaking industry. She was quite the fashion influencer, and there's even a ladies' side-lacing boot named after her. The boot doesn't really resemble the men's Adelaide, but it seems a curious coincidence. Perhaps one of her shoemakers, seeking to capitalize on her patronage, created the style in her honor?

Would you or Maftei have an answer?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I opened this thread thinking I'd get a glimpse of your Adelaides.

Considering how good these looked in person, I was almost regretting pulling them out of the "house style". Then I remembered I can order as many shoes as I want from them

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you also get pegged soles, RunningBeagle? I'm very curious to see how the fit comes out on yours.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Did you also get pegged soles, RunningBeagle? I'm very curious to see how the fit comes out on yours.

Yes and me too. I had fit issues that this patron didn't have, which is why his were delivered sooner. I have high but realistic hopes for this one.

lmaligaya

Reaction score
Hi Running Beagle, I noticed in your other thread that you meantioned a reasonable bespoke place in Wellesley. are you referring to the one in MA? If so, what place are you referring to? I am from cambridge myself.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lmaligaya
Hi Running Beagle, I noticed in your other thread that you meantioned a reasonable bespoke place in Wellesley. are you referring to the one in MA? If so, what place are you referring to? I am from cambridge myself.

Yes, Wellesley, MA. This shoe is a result of that contact. I would be glad to introduce you to the professor. See bottom of this page:

http://www.massschuhe-maftei.at/?page=masstage

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
I have high but realistic hopes for this one.

Will they be under the Christmas tree?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked these up, nearly a year after starting this process

Fit was more difficult for me than the other customer whose shoes are pictured above. We went though a couple trials before getting it right. But they fit great now, and I can't wait to put some wear on them.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
they fit great, and I can't wait to put some wear on them.

i am not up for the chisel-dizzel
and the spring lasted trees.

great shoes and i love the fact you went with the wood pegged construction. the initials add a nice touch to them.

congrats

just for the mix around, i hope to see more coming... iirc, bill is in the game.

banis

Reaction score
Very nice shoes.

I have also put an order for two pairs of Maftei's. I hope that the first trial fitting will be at the end of June.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very handsome shoes. The soles are almost pretty, but not too much.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 8 9.3%