• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maftei

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When a thread has too many pages, I tend not to open it. I am starting a new thread to showcase the products that come out of this project.

Before it comes up, I was quoted EUR 690 + 100 for last (about 6 months ago; this is of course subject to change). Pretty good considering the dollar's recent strength.

Mine are not done, but these are another SF member's shoes (which I understand from thansen we have permission to post). Enough to alleviate some gloom and doom I'm sure:

midbrownderby3mz6.jpg

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I opened this thread thinking I'd get a glimpse of your Adelaides. Since they're not ready, I'll redirect attention to this:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...37#post1394737

So far, I've gotten:
Originally Posted by Manton
I asked one of the Cleverley guys this a long time ago, and he said he didn't know. Maybe they were popular in Adelaide, Australia 100 years ago. Maybe the original John Lobb had a mistress named Adelaide, and he named the style after her.

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Pure speculation: The style is English, and so I'd guess it's named for Queen Adelaide, wife of William IV. The Australian city is named for her, and she remained a popular figure when she died in the mid-1800s, a time of innovation in the English shoemaking industry. She was quite the fashion influencer, and there's even a ladies' side-lacing boot named after her. The boot doesn't really resemble the men's Adelaide, but it seems a curious coincidence. Perhaps one of her shoemakers, seeking to capitalize on her patronage, created the style in her honor?

Would you or Maftei have an answer?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
I opened this thread thinking I'd get a glimpse of your Adelaides.

Considering how good these looked in person, I was almost regretting pulling them out of the "house style". Then I remembered I can order as many shoes as I want from them
devil.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you also get pegged soles, RunningBeagle? I'm very curious to see how the fit comes out on yours.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Did you also get pegged soles, RunningBeagle? I'm very curious to see how the fit comes out on yours.

Yes and me too. I had fit issues that this patron didn't have, which is why his were delivered sooner. I have high but realistic hopes for this one.

lmaligaya

Reaction score
Hi Running Beagle, I noticed in your other thread that you meantioned a reasonable bespoke place in Wellesley. are you referring to the one in MA? If so, what place are you referring to? I am from cambridge myself.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lmaligaya
Hi Running Beagle, I noticed in your other thread that you meantioned a reasonable bespoke place in Wellesley. are you referring to the one in MA? If so, what place are you referring to? I am from cambridge myself.

Yes, Wellesley, MA. This shoe is a result of that contact. I would be glad to introduce you to the professor. See bottom of this page:

http://www.massschuhe-maftei.at/?page=masstage

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.
smile.gif

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
I have high but realistic hopes for this one.

Will they be under the Christmas tree?

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked these up, nearly a year after starting this process
laugh.gif

Fit was more difficult for me than the other customer whose shoes are pictured above. We went though a couple trials before getting it right. But they fit great now, and I can't wait to put some wear on them.

photobzd.jpg

photo3k.jpg

photo2gfb.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CunningSmeagol
they fit great, and I can't wait to put some wear on them.

photobzd.jpg

photo2gfb.jpg

i am not up for the chisel-dizzel
laugh.gif
and the spring lasted trees.

great shoes and i love the fact you went with the wood pegged construction. the initials add a nice touch to them.
smile.gif

congrats

just for the mix around, i hope to see more coming... iirc, bill is in the game.

banis

Reaction score
Very nice shoes.

I have also put an order for two pairs of Maftei's. I hope that the first trial fitting will be at the end of June.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very handsome shoes. The soles are almost pretty, but not too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads