• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

PtrckHmphrys

Reaction score
For me the NOBD II is not cutaway enough - the points are not covered by my jackets. Any recommendations on a bit more cutaway but non-curved collar?

My NOBD II...

Perhaps blame the jacket, not the collar.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know you quoted Terpo but I think you're talking about NOBDs pictures with his navy tie.

I will always assume NOBD knows exactly what he's doing. I have yet to see something from him I don't like. 

Oops, you're right. Didn't realize that's NOBD. I'm usually a fan of his outfits and have never seen him in such a skinny tie. But my opinion isn't swayed by who posted the pic, and yours shouldn't be, either.

No love for skinny ties on this forum eh? Ah well..

Nope.

hookem12387

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luxire, have yall considered really adding on to the ties? Grenadines and such? I get the impression yall could pump out some pretty impressive 4/6/7 fold ties at great prices. I know yall will make them from fabrics you have, but I mean more going out and sourcing tie-specific wools and silks (if such things exist)

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops, you're right. Didn't realize that's NOBD. I'm usually a fan of his outfits and have never seen him in such a skinny tie. But my opinion isn't swayed by who posted the pic, and yours shouldn't be, either.
I'm not swayed. I'll admit that tie doesn't look as nice as I've seen that tie look in other pictures he's taken. But when I say NOBD knows what he's doing, I mean if we saw the entire fit, it would probably be to my liking.

I like it either way. I think the fabric of the tie is a bit more casual, so the width is fine.

Last edited:

JW Cyrus

Reaction score
Here's an open question for the crowd: what would you think about adding a self-fabric belt (with maybe just 3 loops: centre back and one either side) at the waist to a noragi, so it becomes sort of like a very abbreviated kimono or somewhat smart sash cardigan? Too destructive to its inherently simple lines? Or acceptable variation?

As someone that has to wear gi quite often, a noragi with a waist closure requires a closure at the chest level if you don't want the chest to gape open in a very unflattering, almost gigolo-esque manner (unless that's the look you're going for, in which case go for it). If you don't want to ruin the lines of the front, take a page from the hakama and have the belt long enough to tie/fasten in the back.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wasn't aware that I had a skinny tie.

CQulfkC.jpg
b73tLud.jpg

It looks okay in these pics. In the first two--the closeups of the knot area--it looks much slimmer. Must have just been the way you tied it that day.

BOOM!

See. I don't 'sway' to like anything NOBD posts, I just know anything NOBD posts is going to be good.

You are contradicting yourself.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks!

Good point about the gaping; I didn't think of that. But I would be wearing it over a simple button-down collar shirt or even a T-shirt, so it should be OK as the chest will stay covered by that. The visvim version of the noragi has himo-esque style ties at the front, doesn't it? I suppose that could work too.

Alternatively, maybe a slightly longer length (almost a quasi haori style jacket) could work, as an alternative to a lightweight topcoat/carcoat. Trouble is, in the West, that would look too close to a dressing gown. I guess if it were cut to a traditional Western jacket length instead of longer...? Would use it as a casual jacket, almost like a shirt jacket but a bit more interesting.

Will ponder more...

Last edited:

NickInTO

Reaction score
Just ordered my first shirt, a blue hairline stripe with an English spread collar (3.5" points, no tie space and unfused/lightly lined). Can't wait to see how it turns out.

MattR

Reaction score
Someone asked for pics of the english spread without a tie (3.5" collar points, no tie gap):

And just because I like the Luxire bd so much:

Last edited:

Cavarra

Reaction score
Just ordered my first pair of Luxire trousers in the navy twill cotton cloth, went for the Ambrosi Napoli look with the waistband. Will love to see how they come out, have the trouser measurements down pat as I work with suiting and pants/tailoring etc so will be interested to see how the end product comes out, fit wise.

Cavarra

Reaction score
A quick question! Would love to know when the " Copper Chino" cloth with be available as it is currently sold out?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads