• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
No if a country imposes a customs tax, the price should be reflected in the purchase price according at least for French customs. The 17,50 euro process fee required by DHL is precisely because the custom fee was not fulfilled by the expeditor and DHL are charging the buyer a fee for their trouble.

The question is why now they are suddenly charging customs tax? These customs fees are close to an additional 50% of the purchase price we have been used to with Luxire up to now.

Then again it would be nice to get more info by buyers in the next few weeks to know if the custom tax was a fluke or if will be a requirement for all Luxire purchases to France.

As per our understanding from discussions, the duty will be charged on all shipments over the ~$50 value.
Sometimes, one may get lucky, but, that will not happen too often.

The process is now completely electronic. The value is embedded in the shipping documentation. It reaches the destination digitally, even before the packet arrives. Customs processing is digital too. The chances of any packet being missed are low.

Greg01

Reaction score
As per our understanding from discussions, the duty will be charged on all shipments over the ~$50 value.
Sometimes, one may get lucky, but, that will not happen too often.

The process is now completely electronic. The value is embedded in the shipping documentation. It reaches the destination digitally, even before the packet arrives. Customs processing is digital too. The chances of any packet being missed are low.

Ok, so the shipping documentation registration has just become entirely digital in these past few weeks? That is what has changed?

If member Qayyum received 20 orders without ever being charged customs fees and I received 5 without as well, that was not random: we were not being charged customs until now.

At the least Luxire it should become standard to distinguish the value of the shipment and the cost of shipping: on your invoice the value of the shipment is one lone numerical value which equals order + shipment - it's only a few euros difference but it's a start reduce total cost.

Last edited:

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Ok, so the shipping documentation registration has just become entirely digital in these past few weeks? That is what has changed?

If member Qayyum received 20 orders without ever being charged customs fees and I received 5 without as well, that was not random: we were not being charged customs until now.

At the least Luxire it should become standard to distinguish the value of the shipment and the cost of shipping: on your invoice the value of the shipment is one lone numerical value which equals order + shipment - it's only a few euros difference but it's a start reduce total cost.

The invoicing will change shortly. We are updating and automating our systems too.
But, the value of the shipment on which duty is charged includes shipping and insurance. More here.

MacGuffen

Reaction score
Some customers may complain that this takes away the reason for them to order from Luxire. We understand that. So, let us not take the discussion in that direction.
I must admit I agree somewhat with this sentiment. It certainly takes away a lot of the value proposition with Luxire for me personally, making it harder to justify a purchase over any other brand or MTM-service.

Can you say if European countries outside of the EU will be affected by the these new plans, or is it business as usual?

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Earlier all my shirts were marked with a 5 usd value, I guess they now mark with the true value and most packages will reach the threshold for vat in EU and Norway where I live.

Qayyum

Reaction score
I think, unfortunately, that this "increase" will not work in Luxire's favor ... I had placed an order of almost 1000 €, if I had had to pay 350 € in taxes, I may have thought about it before recommending ... if luxire manages to reduce manufacturing times, it can compensate for the damage to the customer. otherwise, even if this sum does not go directly to Luxire, it is only an increase for the customer. I hope this will not penalize your business.

Last edited:

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@luxire

Could you once more look into an eco-packaging solution where items are shipped without all the fancy plastic. It would be great if that could reduce over all costs now that VAT comes into play.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess you had a good deal there while it lasted....

will say that 25% vat and 10% duties is basically highway robbery. I realize people in the US got a great deal as the government can’t be bothered with small orders but even other European countries aren’t as excessive as what you outline above.

(I also feel a straight 17.5 euro fee is outrageous...)

jandersson

Reaction score
I’ve previously received something like 40 packages from Luxire and paid $7.3 to DHL no matter the value of the package. That's 9% for a $80 order or 0.8% for a $900 order.

Yesterdays DHL package cost me $51.5 for a $150 pair of pants. $14.2 payment deferment risk + $37.2 import tax. That's 34% on top of the original order value.

If Luxire starts charging the import tax up front I suppose we can get rid of the payment deferment risk fee. This would still mean a price increase from the previous 0.8-9% to a fixed 25%.

What I really fear is how this might affect items beeing shipped back for alterations. For e.g. a jacket going back a couple of times you might end up paying 25% multiple times?

stuessi

Reaction score
How will this work for destinations like Switzerland? WIll there be an option not to pay the fees pre-shipping as they do not apply?

weriker

Reaction score
What I really fear is how this might affect items beeing shipped back for alterations. For e.g. a jacket going back a couple of times you might end up paying 25% multiple times?
If Luxire declares the item correctly, you would only have to pay the value of the alteration itself (because they mark it as a return item from alteration and declare the value of the alteration). In the best case, this value should be below the threshold for customs. So there should also be no processing fee by DHL.

For me, this processing fee by DHL is the biggest annoyance. They charge around USD 20 for a process that's mostly automated and presumably doesn't really generate much expenditure on their part.

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I’ve previously received something like 40 packages from Luxire and paid $7.3 to DHL no matter the value of the package. That's 9% for a $80 order or 0.8% for a $900 order.

Yesterdays DHL package cost me $51.5 for a $150 pair of pants. $14.2 payment deferment risk + $37.2 import tax. That's 34% on top of the original order value.

If Luxire starts charging the import tax up front I suppose we can get rid of the payment deferment risk fee. This would still mean a price increase from the previous 0.8-9% to a fixed 25%.

For alterations, we will document them accordingly. Double taxation will not make sense.

We are glad to pay the taxes in advance. We will be working with DHL to explore options.

If anyone has an thoughts about how it works, please PM us.

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Does apply to most of our markets. We have thus made the change for all our orders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads