• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread

bik2101

Reaction score
I’ve worn those flannels well into spring (aside fall and winter) but I guess it also depends on where you live and personal preferences. Similarly the top fabric might not be too great in winter depending on where you live. Hard to provide solid advice from my end. I’d just imagine which you’ll get more wear out of now.

thanks! I'm in the northeast so I think given what you've written I'd be better off with the 2nd or 3rd, whihc is probably for me going to be more a matter of which shade of grey I'd prefer. looking like the 3rd one is a bit darker than the 2nd one with both seemingly being relatively similar with regards to weight and substance

malabar

Reaction score
The explanation that Luxire gave for such drastic increases in the US Dollar prices of VBC and Dugdale don't make a lot of sense. Yes, the price has increased in Indian Rupee as the Indian currency has depreciated this year. However, the US Dollar has increased against most currencies including the British pound and the Euro. So in US Dollar terms these fabrics should have decreased in prices. This is reflected in the prices of the fabric if purchased directly from Dugdale for example.

Additionally since Luxire costs are in Indian Rupees, their manufacturing costs in US Dollar terms should have actually declined unless of course they gave all their employees big raises. So, in reality Luxire should be reducing the US Dollar prices and not increasing it reflecting the strength of the US Dollar.

SZNettles

Reaction score
The explanation that Luxire gave for such drastic increases in the US Dollar prices of VBC and Dugdale don't make a lot of sense. Yes, the price has increased in Indian Rupee as the Indian currency has depreciated this year. However, the US Dollar has increased against most currencies including the British pound and the Euro. So in US Dollar terms these fabrics should have decreased in prices. This is reflected in the prices of the fabric if purchased directly from Dugdale for example.

Additionally since Luxire costs are in Indian Rupees, their manufacturing costs in US Dollar terms should have actually declined unless of course they gave all their employees big raises. So, in reality Luxire should be reducing the US Dollar prices and not increasing it reflecting the strength of the US Dollar.
Yeah I noticed that as well. Considering people are paying in USD or GBP, those values going up would have nothing to do with actual cost and would only make their labor cost go down. I don't know how people don't get that. It was a pretty awful excuse for anyone with any economics knowledge. I get that prices go up and all but just say you increased them instead of running in circles about this that and the other.

jacobftww

Reaction score

+1

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well that would hold true if the only thing that happened is their currency relative to the USD/GBP devalued AND the rupee still had the same buying power for raw materials. Assuming raw materials didn't cost more globally now (they do but to make it simpler) they still now have to pay more rupees than they did before so even if your USD/GBP was now worth more rupees they still had to spend more rupees to get raw products. Now consider the global cost of the raw materials increased as demand has increased considerably. This would mean overall costs increase no matter what solely based on the materials market. They also state their duties have increased which would be an added cost regardless of currency rates. You cannot just view it in the bubble of USD/GBP worth more so your item should now cost less. Perhaps it would have had all other things remained the same but that isn't the case.

SZNettles

Reaction score
Well that would hold true if the only thing that happened is their currency relative to the USD/GBP devalued AND the rupee still had the same buying power for raw materials. Assuming raw materials didn't cost more globally now (they do but to make it simpler) they still now have to pay more rupees than they did before so even if your USD/GBP was now worth more rupees they still had to spend more rupees to get raw products. Now consider the global cost of the raw materials increased as demand has increased considerably. This would mean overall costs increase no matter what solely based on the materials market. They also state their duties have increased which would be an added cost regardless of currency rates. You cannot just view it in the bubble of USD/GBP worth more so your item should now cost less. Perhaps it would have had all other things remained the same but that isn't the case.
This is true but nobody said things should cost less. Solely that the USD/GBP going up has absolutely nothing to do with anything. That is the currency they get paid in. Cost of wool has not gone up by the margin they are charging extra. And with the those currencies going up their cost of labor has in a way gone down. If they pay 100 rupee for someone to make something (no idea the value of rupee), then chargings what would be a flat rate for USD, the cost of labor essentially fell.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is true but nobody said things should cost less. Solely that the USD/GBP going up has absolutely nothing to do with anything. That is the currency they get paid in. Cost of wool has not gone up by the margin they are charging extra. And with the those currencies going up their cost of labor has in a way gone down. If they pay 100 rupee for someone to make something (no idea the value of rupee), then chargings what would be a flat rate for USD, the cost of labor essentially fell.

Well actually the person I quoted DID say they should go down. Additionally Luxire is stating the prices over 5 years have gone up considerably its an adjustment of 5 years change. Just a brief web search show ~25% increase in costs of wool over the last year alone. Yes labor cost relative to the USD/GBP fell which is why I stated had all other factors remained the same and the only change was that the USD/GBP value increased relative to the rupee it should cost less BUT the buying power of the rupee for raw materials would also have to have remained constant even without a global increase in raw materials cost which it wouldn't.

In any event, it is pretty simple, if you don't value the product at its price don't buy it. I don't think they are trying to swindle you.

brokencycle

Reaction score
As to the price increase, they just stated what I suspected: hooked customers and now they have a base, increasing prices. Yes, wool price has increased and understand that, but 47 percent right before the holidays?

Why was it so dire couldn't wait a couple months?

Now a Black Friday sale have to be at least 50 percent off to have any value. Which seems their intent. Hey, we have a sale, but we still have the same profit margins as before, so isn't a sale.

If we take Luxire at their word, which we have no reason not to at this point, they're losing money on some fabrics. Why would they wait until after the busy holiday season to raise prices and become profitable? That makes zero business sense.

As for needing 50% to have any value, that's laughable too. A quick search for VBC prices shows remnants being sold on ebay for ~$120-150 for enough fabric to make a pair of pants. I'm sure they're getting better pricing due to the volume, but you're getting a pair of pants for $200 means you're only paying $50 for manufacturing, shipping and all of the other materials (buttons, zippers, etc).

Adriel

Reaction score
I was corrected so been staying out as I prove no benefit voicing the same settlements, though since you decide to deprecate me, would like to have a civil discussion to learn further.

If we take Luxire at their word, which we have no reason not to at this point, they're losing money on some fabrics. Why would they wait until after the busy holiday season to raise prices and become profitable? That makes zero business sense.

What makes even less business sense is Luxire chose to loose money for a while based on their statement of not adjusting prices to the market for five and a half years. How is that the customers' fault?

As for needing 50% to have any value, that's laughable too. A quick search for VBC prices shows remnants being sold on ebay for ~$120-150 for enough fabric to make a pair of pants. I'm sure they're getting better pricing due to the volume, but you're getting a pair of pants for $200 means you're only paying $50 for manufacturing, shipping and all of the other materials (buttons, zippers, etc).

That was not my point at all, almost exactly the opposite. Though, after the concussion most folks can't understand me anymore, sorry about that, hopefully the second time works.

What I was trying to say is these are a good value, because for eBay price for used, you get MTM instead. Thus why I mentioned the price of new or used from eBay. Even if $50 to tailor, which certainly be more, same price and the Luxire are brand new, therefore more wears per cost. And thus why I am trying to find the funds now as don't get my paycheck until mid next week (last one as I can't be understood). And you bet if do purchase, will acknowledge the requests and post a picture.

Ages ago when was well off, bought wool Bill's Kakis (which seem to no longer offer) for about $250, maybe $275. Okay price being made in the USA, though not MTM, thin fabric, and low rise. So, looking at navy, leaning towards this: https://luxire.com/products/dugdale-royal-classic-narrow-navy-herringbone?variant=279448796 as be less mistaken for off the rack and think suit the rougher and more casual sport coats I wear. The VBC trousers seem too light for me and for first trouser, not desiring to risk.

exfalso

Reaction score
I don't quite want to be part of this discussion, although I think it is more than reasonable to complain here. After all, this is the affiliate thread. And I do find it really off-putting to show $350-400 for the base price of trousers (which IMHO is way too high) only to mark it down.

Anyways, it's been 8 weeks since I put my trouser order. What's up with the delay? I put my order because I was told that Luxire cleared the backlogs, but it's definitely not the case.

luxire

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It is true that INR has depreciated against the USD by about 15% over the last 5 years. Because we import a lot, the depreciation also works against us.
Also, wool fabric prices have increased 50% over the last 5 years.

Hence the price increase. We don't like to increase prices either.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are some forum favourites of the VBC fabrics? I typically get the wool rich and am looking to capitalize on the sale! Primarily just for an office environment, so a year round versatile fabric? I live in a moderate climate (Vancouver).

Also - is the presto sale over?

Adriel

Reaction score
what are some forum favourites of the VBC fabrics? I typically get the wool rich and am looking to capitalize on the sale! Primarily just for an office environment, so a year round versatile fabric? I live in a moderate climate (Vancouver).

Also - is the presto sale over?

Never can go wrong with grey. How formal is your work environment? The more formal, the darker the grey.

Edit: I got mixed up and thought you were referring to the Denali sale, sorry.

Last edited:

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering grey, just not sure if I should get flannel or the 120's 2 ply (some say 'super' 120s and others just say 120s - is there a difference?)

I already have the mid-grey flannel from luxire, it's a heavy 11oz fabric, only really good for cold winter days.

I also purchased a pair of VBC trousers in Dark Check a year or so ago, and I believe it's flannel, but I never got the ability to wear it because of a sizing mishap, but it was attributed it to a change in fabric so I'm hesitant to try flannel again.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads