• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

loose tea

Milpool

Reaction score
The grocery store was all out of the Twinings tea bags, but they had cans of loose tea. As a result, I'm now drinking loose tea. . . and eating a lot of tea leaves. The cheap tea holder I got isn't doing so well.

Any suggestions for nice tea holder/filter things? I've seen some that look like absinthe spoons, that would be interesting. How about antique storage containers for loose tea?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I often use a French Press.

Naf Nasitra

Reaction score
If you're making a single cup, get something like this. It sits on top of the cup & when the tea has finished infusing, you lift the whole thing out. Much better than tea balls & infusing spoons because (a) the tea leaves don't end up in your cup, and (b) the water circulates through the tea better than when you pack the leaves into a tight space.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Naf Nasitra
If you're making a single cup, get something like this. It sits on top of the cup & when the tea has finished infusing, you lift the whole thing out. Much better than tea balls & infusing spoons because (a) the tea leaves don't end up in your cup, and (b) the water circulates through the tea better than when you pack the leaves into a tight space.

Those work. I use cheesecloth bags that they sell at the local coop where I get my tea. $.29 a pop, and washable. I've seen similar filter bags made of paper and sold in packs of 20 or so.

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DukesofStratosphear
Unless I'm missing something in your post, you just need a simple tea strainer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_strainer
Often times teh tea strainers will have holes large enough for small bits of leaf to float on through. Get a mesh filter like the one I linked to and you will never get leaves in your tea. I hope the OP's loose leaf tea is better than his Twinings tea. Once you have had good tea you will realize the awfulness of nearly all grocery store, packaged tea.

DukesofStratosphear

Reaction score
Quite possibly, although I can't remember the last time I used my teapot, despite being an Englishman
tongue.gif

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dv3
Often times teh tea strainers will have holes large enough for small bits of leaf to float on through. Get a mesh filter like the one I linked to and you will never get leaves in your tea.

I hope the OP's loose leaf tea is better than his Twinings tea. Once you have had good tea you will realize the awfulness of nearly all grocery store, packaged tea.

Twinings is bad? I've got a tin of Twinings Earl Grey. I like it quite a bit. What other varieties of Earl Grey would you suggest?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
Twinings is bad? I've got a tin of Twinings Earl Grey. I like it quite a bit. What other varieties of Earl Grey would you suggest?

Twinings is actually quite good. They have the frigging royal warrant to supply tea, that should tell you something. However, if you can get it, the best earl grey I've had is the Fortnum and Mason version blended with lapsang souchong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads