• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Liquor stores in Manhattan (and, any recommendations for a nice gin?)

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all -- I want to pick up a different bottle of gin for my father for Christmas. He's tried many, many gins and loves them. Last year, I gave him Old Raj from Park Ave. Liquors and he loved it.

This year, I'd like to get him either Schlichte Steinhäger if I can find it in a liquor store, or another kind he wouldn't be able to purchase in Massachusetts. Any recommendations for a gin, or a store?

Thanks

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Hendrick's?

I am not a huge gin drinker, but do drink it from time-to-time and like to keep a bottle around. I've traditionally just kept the standard stuff (Bombay Sapphire, etc.). Recently I picked up a bottle of Hendricks and there's no way I'll ever go back to the bigger brands. HUGE difference. It opened up a whole new world for me.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hendrick's, Plymouth, Junipero, No. 209, Damrak (very unusual, complex, and rewarding; made with malt but not a true genever), and Cascade Mountain are my recommendations. He's probably tried the first two but at least one of the other four should be new to him.

RedLetterDay

Reaction score
Really can't go wrong with Hendrick's, maybe not the most unique and hard to find gin but its definitely one of the best, if not the best I've had.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Sorry -- we can eliminate Hendrick's, Plymouth, all of the Tanqueray's and Bombay's, and I think he's had a bottle of Junipeiro. Never had No. 209, Damrak or Cascade Mountain...
Then you have your answer. Offer to join him in a glass; you don't want to miss the chance to taste one of those gins. If you aren't sure which one he'd like best, let your fingers do the walking to Google, Slashfood, Chowhound, etc. I'm sure there are reviews aplenty.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easy question. For a unique gin that leans towards the Holland's style (i.e, you wouldn't use it in a martini, generally speaking), buy Genevieve.
genevieve_bottle_intro.jpg
http://www.anchorbrewing.com/about_us/genevieve_gin.htm For a London dry that's very unique and on a the same quality plane as the stunning Junipero, yet very intense (if that German gin is intense and dry this might be a good fit), go for Martin Miller's Westbourne Strength Gin -- the Westbourne bit is important, signifying the extra-strength version.
0400000000862_XL.jpg
Where to get them in NYC? Dunno. Astor perhaps? ~ Huntsman

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Astor's carries the Miller's gin, not sure about Genevieve. You can check out both Astor's (399 Lafayette) and Warehouse wines and spirits (735 Broadway) since they are located a couple of block's from each other.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I am not a huge gin drinker, but do drink it from time-to-time and like to keep a bottle around. I've traditionally just kept the standard stuff (Bombay Sapphire, etc.). Recently I picked up a bottle of Hendricks and there's no way I'll ever go back to the bigger brands. HUGE difference. It opened up a whole new world for me.

Try it with a cucumber in the glass and one on the rim like a lemon.

Amazing.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
I believe Astor's carries the Miller's gin, not sure about Genevieve. You can check out both Astor's (399 Lafayette) and Warehouse wines and spirits (735 Broadway) since they are located a couple of block's from each other.
Looks like I may be doing that. Thanks all. edit: going to Warehouse tomorrow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads