• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
A leather bathrobe? Looks like something Hugh Hefner would wear.

Well, I have the jacket I truly want (except the Addict AD-01, but I really need to try one in person first) in my black cafe racer. So, yeah, I dunno. I tried a brown Schott racer at Nordstrom yesterday to get a feel for the color on me and wasn't feeling it.

Here's the brown racer I've got my eye on. I love my black one, made from back in the day Coach used higher quality thicker sheep skins.

View attachment 2091507

Oh the way I interpreted the question was that you had the jacket in the past and don't own it anymore. But if you do actually own the jacket the question about redundancy makes more sense. In fact for the first time in what feels like years I've purchased a sweater that I've owned for years in another color. So I'd definitely say go for it then.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for all you homies: Say you had a black leather (in my case, a cafe racer) that's no longer in production that you loved the fit and construction of. If you came across one in brown would you grab it? Or would it be too redundant for ya?
Absolutely...

When I'm in the shower is when I start thinking about what I'm wearing for the day.
Weather, and if I'm going black, or non black is the other consideration.
Everything else that goes with it depends on that choice. Even eyeglasses, and watch.
If you love the original jacket, the 2nd brown one will be versatile.

ygtyf

Reaction score
That looks cool. I'm unfamiliar with the brand so I have no idea how the leather feels but it's seemingly a direction I enjoy. What brands/types of clothes are you pairing it with?
It is made with 1.6~1.8mm horse culatta from CLOE, basically reversed horse butt with residual cordovan layers. It is my favorite type of leather for shoe/boot making. Original culatta pieces have very uneven thickness and stretching direction varies. So either the tannery or the maker had skived it down to a thickness suitable for a leather jacket. It feels like and can be treated like a thick suede jacket.
To be honest, I have not thought about what to pair with the jacket yet. In Brisbane, we have one to two weeks every year that is cold enough to wear a leather jacket. It is safe to wear it with any dark color jeans or heavy linen pants.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A leather bathrobe? Looks like something Hugh Hefner would wear.

Well, I have the jacket I truly want (except the Addict AD-01, but I really need to try one in person first) in my black cafe racer. So, yeah, I dunno. I tried a brown Schott racer at Nordstrom yesterday to get a feel for the color on me and wasn't feeling it.

Here's the brown racer I've got my eye on. I love my black one, made from back in the day Coach used higher quality thicker sheep skins.

View attachment 2091507

Is this (in black) the cafe racer you love and have been chasing other random leather jackets for years trying to recapture? If so I'd say get the brown one too and log off. You're covered between the two.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this (in black) the cafe racer you love and have been chasing other random leather jackets for years trying to recapture? If so I'd say get the brown one too and log off. You're covered between the two.

I dunno. I'm considering an aviator now. I've never owned one and it'd be a nice change from wearing a cafe racer all the time whenever it gets cold outside.

Understatesman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno. Maybe something like this?

00X0X_ivWmv99Ugha_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

2412noirnoirdevant__005123500_1659_10102023.jpg

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a great jacket but its main 'feature' (it's designed to work as a winter coat with a removable lining) might be wasted (or even annoying) given you're in Texas. It's also pretty long (too long for me and I think we're a similar size except I'm taller) probably because of the winter jacket aspect.

I think a G-1 (also known as M422A and AN-6552) would suit your purposes better. Schott's slightly civilianized (adds handwarmer pockets but out of sight) version is really great, exceptionally comfortable with a beautiful goatskin leather. I proxied it for a friend from their annual sale. But any of them should do (I'd just recommend you stick with goatskin because it just looks much better than the cowhide versions.) In addition to Schott and Aero, Cockpit USA has a good reputation for them.

The pattern is so good that even one that's a full size or two too small for me (I wasn't trying to downsize; I just came across a great deal on a restored WWII original and wanted to try it on) has an amazing range of movement. Likewise you can upsize and it still looks good.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your budget is high enough, you could consider these ones from Ralph Lauren.

View attachment 2093901 View attachment 2093903

The first looks like a nice luxurious suede take on the B-15, but the second looks like any other (high end) repro B-3 sheepskin (not a bad thing). Both of these are going to be extremely warm winter coats, though, only wearable during the cooler months for me in the Northeast. I don’t think they’d ever be wearable in Texas.

I did end up ordering a sheepskin flight jacket myself this week, even though I know it’ll barely be cold enough to wear it. Decided to go with a merino sheepskin Aero.

MrProper

Reaction score
The first looks like a nice luxurious suede take on the B-15, but the second looks like any other (high end) repro B-3 sheepskin (not a bad thing). Both of these are going to be extremely warm winter coats, though, only wearable during the cooler months for me in the Northeast. I don’t think they’d ever be wearable in Texas.

I did end up ordering a sheepskin flight jacket myself this week, even though I know it’ll barely be cold enough to wear it. Decided to go with a merino sheepskin Aero.
I think the versatility of a sheepskin is underestimated. It works well even at 8 or 9 degrees Celsius because it provides dry warmth without immediately giving the feeling of being too hot (as some synthetic fibres do). And when in doubt, I wear them open.
I wear my two Sheepskin (and hopefully soon three) very often from November to March.

michaellosauro

Reaction score

For what it's worth, we're much more accustomed to cold weather up here in the Northeast. When I lived in Texas for a while, I started needing a coat at higher and higher temps as my body adjusted to the climate. I could see that B-3 being useful anywhere under 60°F for a lot of folks in Texas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads