• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It varies by fabric from my experience. I wear TSF 39-87. The waist is more fitted on fabrics e.g. dobby or broadcloth versus oxford.

I'm actually waiting for more broadcloth and dobby fabric to be available.
I bought the same because the chest was too tight in the size smaller. The sleeves are a little long for me and after washing the chest is getting tighter too. I am usually a 15-33 in Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit/Milano with room to spare in the waist on both shirts. The neck on the BB shirt is slightly big on me though not enough to downsize to a 14.5. I'm probably somewhere inbetween.

IIRC, I am wearing a BB shirt in my profile pic/avatar.

Last edited:

Spex

Reaction score
I wear a BB 15.5 - 35 and in Kamakura the NY Slim fit 39-90 fits the best. I've tried a Tokyo Slim size 39-87, but I felt that the sleeves would be too short. The next size up in Tokyo Slim has a larger next, still OK, especially if you are a 16), and longer sleeves, however it's body is larger than the NY Slim 39-90.

Oh yeah...following up on my earlier posts, I managed to hit up the Haneda Airport Maker's Shirt location. Sadly they only had about 6 to 8 shirts in my size, and only a couple in spread collars (one of which I had). They mentioned that online they have more choice...which I already knew. Looks like ordering online is the way to go.

Last edited:

squalidozzi

Reaction score
Yeah, in that case, go for it! They've also got some nice ties in store (saw one I regret not buying!), but I think the shirts offer the best value.

I've had one tie get away too. They rotate fairly quickly!

Before the Japanese store closed to us internationals, I managed to order three linen shirts - they're great, albeit rough at first. After the third or so wear I accidentally left all of them in the drier for too long... they're shrunk a tad more than I wanted. Will they bounce back eventually? Is there any way to encourage them to lengthen again, haha?

Thank you--

aaronj15

Reaction score
for those that ordered online(US site) is it a lock to get charged 20% duties?

aaronj15

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm going to go with the 39-87 and see how that goes.

SmellBlind

Reaction score
Just got an email that the Brookfield Place location is opening November 18 for all us downtowners.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought my second shirt at the Haneda Airport store where they stock the US cuts. Great service as they have specially produced models you can try on - over your shirt as they don't have fitting rooms, but you get a good idea. 6-8 of the shirts in each size on a separate shelf from the Japanese sized ones. Great experience

Spex

Reaction score
Did anyone ever purchase one of the knit shirts with the spread collar (not the "wide-spread" aka cutaway collar). I'm wondering if it's the same collar as on the normal dress shirts. The collars in the photos of the knit shirts appear smaller, with shorter points.

I have to say now that I've worn and washed my size S NY linen shirt, that it fits amazingly well (39-90 NY slim being my preferred dress shirt size). It fits like a normal slim dress shirt - not baggy like most linen shirts but not tight either (which would defeat the purpose of such a shirt IMHO). Even after getting some $10 Uniqlo linen shirts, I'll probably buy more Kamakura linens just because they fit so well and look so much smarter, especially the collars.

Spex

Reaction score

Kamakura's US site added a ton of shirts.

A quick browse of the new selection on the US site makes me suspect that they are starting to offer the same items as on their Japanese site. I check the Japanese site almost daily hoping for new NY Slim models of dress shirts, so I'm very familiar with that selection. The US site appears to show the exact same shirts now. Not all ties are showing yet, though.

I will still order from the Japanese site as the prices are much more favorable (I have them sent to a Japanese address).

Last edited:

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
Spex you can get the japanese Kamakura to send directly to you - skip the freight forwarding step all together.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads