• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aaronj15

Reaction score
Just chiming here. My first Kamakura purchase yesterday - two BD Tokyo slim shirts from Mad Ave store. One linen-cotton blend, one white. Great fit OTR; even better than a few MTM I have - and a deal for $79 - no sales tax either! Per the sales assoc if the purchase is <$150 there is no sales tax. I will be hard pressed to purchase from a different shirtmaker.

Is the Madison ave location well stocked? Primarily looking for OCBDs
Trying to make a decision on whether to make a trip up there from Philly.

RuleOfRescue

Reaction score

Seemed well stocked overall for what I was looking for - namely lighter weight BD collar shirts. Not too sure about OCBD but I think they had some out. I would give them a call - very knowledgeable and decorous staff.

jamie411

Reaction score

If you have something specific in mind, I'd call first. Last time I was there they didn't have much that interested me in my size. It's not a very large shop, and they carry four different fits in a variety of sizes. Although they don't have a huge selection in each fit/size, if that makes sense. If you're in NY its worth dropping in, but I don't know I'd make a special trip to go - unless you plan to order additional online and want to nail down your fit/size.

aaronj15

Reaction score
If you have something specific in mind, I'd call first. Last time I was there they didn't have much that interested me in my size. It's not a very large shop, and they carry four different fits in a variety of sizes. Although they don't have a huge selection in each fit/size, if that makes sense. If you're in NY its worth dropping in, but I don't know I'd make a special trip to go - unless you plan to order additional online and want to nail down your fit/size.

Thanks.

I was thinking of going more so to nail my size/fit, and to see the shirts in person. Plus, a little NY trip wouldn't be too bad.

jamie411

Reaction score

Thanks.

I was thinking of going more so to nail my size/fit, and to see the shirts in person. Plus, a little NY trip wouldn't be too bad.

Yeah, in that case, go for it! They've also got some nice ties in store (saw one I regret not buying!), but I think the shirts offer the best value.

jamie411

Reaction score
Today (or rather yesterday/last night due to JST) was the last opportunity to order from the Japanese online shop. That's really disappointing. I should've placed another order... The international site really sucks in terms of inventory. The Japanese site just added a bunch on nice blue fresco ties too. I think I'll write customer service about the disappointing selection - they're offering free shipping for the next few days - IF you can find anything decent in your size.

Spex

Reaction score
So I've managed to visit 2 Tokyo area Maker's Shirt stores during the past couple of days - the one in the Marunouchi Building across from Tokyo Station and one I just stumbled upon by chance in Shinagawa Station.

First, I was surprised by how small both were. I was told that other than their original store in Kamakura, Japan that the NYC store is their largest location (I also saw online that there will be a 2nd NYC opening up in the fall in the new Brookfield Place).

Second, these stores have no NY size shirts. I tried on what I thought would be the closest Tokyo size shirts and taking even a small amount of shrinkage they would have been too tight and short in the sleeves. To give you an idea, I wear a NY Slim 39-90 and tried on a Tokyo Slim 39-87 and a knit Large-Tall. I was told that the Heneda Airport location is the only location to likely have NY sizes. Luckily I will be flying out from there, so I can find out for myself. For anyone that wears NY size shirts and is planning a trip to Japan flying in through Narita, be prepared to not find any shirts. Tie selection was decent at both locations, though.

Oh...speaking of the online stores, I was told that they are combing the International and Japanese sites soon. I suppose that means a better selection for those shopping from outside of Japan, however I don't think it would lead to lower prices.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not surprising that they don't have NY size shirts in their Japan stores. They have a big business in Japan, and the Japanese men in general have shorter arms.

sdb5057

Reaction score
I was able to order 9 linen shirts from the jp site before it stopped taking us orders. I kinda wish I bought more since the discount is so high vs online. If I had another chance, I'd have got a couple knits and ocbd's on top of my current order. Oh well. I figure I can buy 2-3 of their shirts online with the money I saved from buying from the JP site anyways..

Last edited:

chizhang001001

Reaction score
looks like their japanese site already have MTM but no precise waist adjustment, only offer slim and full. Kinda like BB MTM.

aaronj15

Reaction score
so I've decided against making the trip to the madison ave store and will just order online.

according to my measurements I'm about a 16/35. I have a slender torso, my waist is about 31-32. Only shirts I can reference are Uniqlo shirts, in which I am a M, and Everlane which I am an M. Any advice on how I should size on Tokyo slim? Thanks

chizhang001001

Reaction score
their tokyo slim is actually not that slim if you look at the waist measurements. In fact CT extra slim fit is 1 inch slimmer in the waist. That's why I was disappointed they did not offer more waist adjustment.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It varies by fabric from my experience. I wear TSF 39-87. The waist is more fitted on fabrics e.g. dobby or broadcloth versus oxford.

I'm actually waiting for more broadcloth and dobby fabric to be available.

aaronj15

Reaction score
It varies by fabric from my experience. I wear TSF 39-87. The waist is more fitted on fabrics e.g. dobby or broadcloth versus oxford.

I'm actually waiting for more broadcloth and dobby fabric to be available.

what are your neck and sleeve measurements?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads