• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Spex you can get the japanese Kamakura to send directly to you - skip the freight forwarding step all together. 

they're going to stop doing that soon, or have already. an email was sent out recently

Spex

Reaction score

Spex you can get the japanese Kamakura to send directly to you - skip the freight forwarding step all together. 

Did they offer to cover the costs of duty when shopping via the Japanese site?

n2pua

Reaction score
to the kamakura experts, regarding fit:

i'm looking to buy a couple of the shirts from the new casual line. however, in my experience, i found clothes from Japan/Asia to fit much slimmer/shorter than i am used to. I'm a 40/15.75 in most other euro and US makers, but according to the item's details, it advises a tokyo slim 39-40 to go with a medium. however, my chest is a little bigger for the size. so between my chest leaning towards a large (in spite of a smaller neck), this shirt having back darts and 2% shrinkage, i can't decide between medium and large.

thoughts ?

squalidozzi

Reaction score
FWIW, I find the casual and linen shirts I've tried to be tight in the chest as well as shorter in the sleeve.

to the kamakura experts, regarding fit:

i'm looking to buy a couple of the shirts from the new casual line. however, in my experience, i found clothes from Japan/Asia to fit much slimmer/shorter than i am used to. I'm a 40/15.75 in most other euro and US makers, but according to the item's details, it advises a tokyo slim 39-40 to go with a medium. however, my chest is a little bigger for the size. so between my chest leaning towards a large (in spite of a smaller neck), this shirt having back darts and 2% shrinkage, i can't decide between medium and large.

thoughts ?

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding fit, I'm a 41" neck/34" sleeve in most shirts. I was at the Madison store on Saturday and bought two shirts: a business shirt in 41"/35" (they don't offer a 41"/34" OTR) and a casual (light blue denim BD). I tried both L and XL in the casual and XL was definitely a better fit. L was tight across the chest and the sleeves were too short.

I was also advised by the sales staff that the denim shirt might shrink slightly when washed.

Last edited:

Spex

Reaction score
Regarding fit, I'm a 41" neck/34" sleeve in most shirts. I was at the Madison store on Saturday and bought two shirts: a business shirt in 41"/35" (they don't offer a 41"/34" OTR) and a casual (light blue denim BD). I tried both L and XL in the casual and XL was definitely a better fit. L was tight across the chest and the sleeves were too short.

I was also advised by the sales staff that the denim shirt might shrink slightly when washed.

41" neck? Are you the Kingpin from Marvel comics?

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops!

Yep, that would be 16" (41cm). Apologies!

Spex

Reaction score
Oops!

Yep, that would be 16" (41cm). Apologies!

Haha...yeah, I was just foolin with ya.

Although not yet on the US site (maybe at the NY store?), the Japanese site just released some nice looking wool ties, although I'm not sure why they include 20% nylon. Some are 40% wool/40% cotton/20% nylon, while others are 40% wool/40% silk/20% nylon.

http://shop.shirt.co.jp/shop/e/etwool/?sl_0911tp03

http://blog.shirt.co.jp/brand/kamak...コレクション&archive=2015.09.10&shop=kamkaura-osaka

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone ordered from the NYC store rather than the website? Haven't bought any shirts since last year and I've lost some weight, so I may order two different sizes. I assume returning the shirts to Japan is a hassle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads