1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Kamakura Shirts - Madison Ave Store

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Jan 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. fuseli98

fuseli98 New Member

Agree on every point. I like everything about the place, the quality the value ... the fit's just a problem for me -- I'm typically 15.5/33.

2. CharlesThe1337

CharlesThe1337 Well-Known Member

I seem to be experiencing the same problems. Body is just right, but the neck is too tight. One size up, the neck is just right but the body is too loose.

3. CharlesThe1337

They say they add 1/3 inch to the collar and 1/2 inch to the sleeves to accommodate for it. The body and chest, that's up to you to decide about shrinking. Didn't experience any noticeable shrinkage on my normal oxford though. Pinpoint oxford shrank a bit I think. I didn't take before measurements though

4. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

the only one that shrink noticable more for me was the Made in Italy stuff

5. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

am I right in thinking that royal oxford is the worst fabric they have (for mainline shirts) in terms of wrinkliness? As someone who irons their own shirts, this is not an insignificant matter. I think I may focus on broadcloth and oxford in the future.

6. garymyman

garymyman Senior member

You're not wrong. I put one on for a wedding, bent over to tie my shoes and it needed re-ironing afterwards. I haven't tried any starch, though.

Not sure how much longer I can wait for a re-stock of OCBDs - especially university stripes - in Tokyo Classic.

7. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

hard to say but royal ox is a hefty garment.....it may/can be difficult to iron up well........I also iron some shirts......its no biggie w/ the correct products....use a mist spray.......hot water........or iron when shirt is damp from wash

it is NOT a reason to NOT buy one...cmon now

I think wrinkles only add character to a nice well made well fitting shirt.

a poorly pressed shirt simply looks bad.

8. momentoftruth

momentoftruth Senior member

lol, OK that's not what I was asking but I guess you have a username to uphold

1 person likes this.
  9. CharlesThe1337

Does anyone know if the manhattan fit is replacing the older version of the fits? Or will they continue to produce shirts in both variations of the fit (ex: continuing to produce Tokyo slim and Tokyo slim Manhattan fit)? I was browsing the Tokyo slim, and the options are looking to be pretty limited these days.

1 person likes this.
  10. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

Pre ordered a spread and button down version of the new Scilto one piece collar. Sizing looks weird but hopefully I can remove the darts and have them fit. Fingers crossed.

11. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

At least in store the Manhattan fit is quite limited for now

12. TAFJIR

TAFJIR Member

Just preordered a couple myself, if the styling is anything like the Eidos courtier one piece collar and the sizing right (just went with my normal size), I'll be more than satisfied. Didn't really understand he texture of the fabric though, looks almost like a Marcella/pique that you'd see in a tuxedo shirt.

13. Spex

Spex Senior member

I hope they offer some of these Sciolto shirts in NY fits. I don't think there was ever a NY fit Manhattan shirt (although that would make logical sense, no? [​IMG]).

14. 1969

1969 Senior member

Question for people who wear the Vintage Ivy. I've have a NY Fit in Medium that's just bit snug, went to NY Large and it's ok to wear untucked but still a little large and long even after going in the dryer. Can someone confirm Vintage Ivy Tokyo in Large would be a little smaller all around? Measurements make it appear that way but looking for actual user experience given the wackiness of sizing.

15. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

I just wanted to add this:

seems to me kamakura is doing well.....I would assume so.....

but it is clear to me the sizing is just a bit wonky.

I feel they could really clean up if they modded the sizes a wee bit.........they already have assembly up and running.....just a few tweaks here and there........

Im bummed.......I really liked the product at the mad ave store.....the cloth...the collar.....

and btw, the sales girls were just so yummy.:satisfied:

and oh.......they do shorten sleeves on the RTW shirts @ 20/pr...not bad........

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  16. CharlesThe1337

I have the popover in Tokyo slim. I got a medium, and wear a 39-83 in that fit. The chest and arms fit similarly to the normal button up. The waist is just a tad larger, and it's shorter obviously. I like the way it fits. The neck is just a hair too small, but I expected that. I wasn't planning on buttoning it all the way anyway.

Based on my experience, if you are snug in the shoulders, arms, or chest, I'd say sizing up wouldn't be a bad thing. Plus, it's casual, so wearing it a little looser than usual wouldn't be a bad thing I'd guess. Let me know if you would like me to answer any other questions!

17. CharlesThe1337

I agree. If only the neck was a true 15.5 instead of the 15.36 or whatever 39cm comes out too! And the arm holes lowered just a half inch or so. Then it'd be perfect for me.

Speaking of armholes, does anyone else get armpit sweat when wearing shorts with tight armholes? I generally don't show any armpit sweat, but I do with these. It's less with no undershirt, but still present. With an undershirt it can get pretty bad. I think the undershirts I use have a bigger armhole than the Kamakura which causes it to bunch up and somehow show the pit stains more. Still not sure how that works, but it's my theory.

18. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

tighter a/ holes(lol) are closer to sweaty areas. and cause bunching of T shirts as well........yup!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  19. Spex

Spex Senior member

There is a lot of discussion re: Kamakura sizing, but I think we need to realize that the shirts are made for the Japanese market. They've been around over 20 years and I'm sure they've figured out the fits that sell the most in their domestic market. Sadly it makes it frustrating for someone like myself who is over 6 feel tall with a Nordic build!

1 person likes this.
  20. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

.5 inch increment is as arbitrary as 1cm, no?