1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Job Referenced:Ethical Question

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Rugger, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

In addition to the shortcomings that the OP listed, the friend is also very lousy at picking friends.

And LOL at people who think their positive recommendation will have any consequences for them should the employment not pan out (except in a few very specific lines of work).

I am in politics. The people I know reach every end of the professional universe. Everyone knows everyone.

2. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

have you previously worked with him?

3. scientific

scientific Well-Known Member

I am in politics.

somehow this makes sense.

4. LeadSmall3BetAllIN

LeadSmall3BetAllIN Well-Known Member

If he's the kind lies and cuts corners but gets the job done with inconspicuous panache, you should indeed feel bad. If he's the kind who lies and cuts corners and gets caught not lining the edge of the gym, you should feel worse.

5. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

did not read thread but OP is a dbag if he agreed to recommend someone and then gives a negative rec. even if not agreed beforehand this calls your character into question more than your friend

Wait...the job seeker is dishonest, lazy, and possibly a thief. Rugger is torn between being loyal and being honest. And you say Rugger may have the greater character flaw? Are you being serious?

6. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Well-Known Member

Wait...the job seeker is dishonest, lazy, and possibly a thief. Rugger is torn between being loyal and being honest. And you say Rugger may have the greater character flaw? Are you being serious?

x2. Why would you want to be friends with such a person in the first place?

7. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend your friend if I were you.

I would talk your friend about his short coming, and say if he can turn around those ones that I can feel ok to recommend him.

Also the problem today is it's not OP's friend is incompetent (we don't know), it's a character issue, the guy cuts corner, lie etc. If it's a skill then you can always learn, but cutting corner and lie is a whole different level, I wouldn't never recommend who I know will cut corner lie and possibly steal.

8. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

Another crux is that he's a narcissist, so if I try to confront him about it he'll just blow up on me. Perhaps that would be for the better, though.

9. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Another crux is that he's a narcissist, so if I try to confront him about it he'll just blow up on me. Perhaps that would be for the better, though.

Tell me again what his appeal is?

10. Rugger

Rugger Well-Known Member

Tell me again what his appeal is?
    He's a golfing buddy - I don't have many of those. I've also known him since childhood. He's the kind of guy that needs to have friends around, but doesn't have a big group of friends. I'm not a pity friend, but he has his moments and is fun to be around golfing. I kinda just put up with him for the most part(when not golfing) and am waiting for him to mentally grow up I guess LOL.

11. Cotillion

Cotillion Well-Known Member

Did he ask you first to be a reference?

12. scientific

scientific Well-Known Member

yea if that's what he thinks of his 'friends.' lazy thief > passive aggressive

13. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member

14. Harold falcon

15. Harold falcon