• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL STYLEFORUM SECRET SANTA 2023 MEGATHREAD

Friend

Reaction score
A belated pic, thank you to @wumpyfish for an awesome spread this year - I listed a bunch of open-ended gift ideas, and he managed to include something from every category:

1000006950.jpg

Cat treats, a little metal fish tray and ceramic bowl, a few different sachets of room scents and incense, an embroidered and a silk handkerchief, a tea strainer bottle, a cool vintage Issey band collar shirt and Billy Reid seersucker jacket, and a generous NMWA gift card to top it off.

My cat was deeply obsessed with each item as it emerged from the package, which basically counts as a bonus treat too. Thanks for the thoughtful box!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have confirmed and sent the GREATEST gag component of a gift ever recorded in styleforum history. It is the creation of a family heirloom to be passed down from generation to generation

But it will arrive after Christmas, and I won't reveal it until my SS gets the stuff arriving tomorrow and Thursday.

But I won this thread. It is coming....Soon

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have confirmed and sent the GREATEST gag component of a gift ever recorded in styleforum history. It is the creation of a family heirloom to be passed down from generation to generation

But it will arrive after Christmas, and I won't reveal it until my SS gets the stuff arriving tomorrow and Thursday.

He tells the truth. It’s going to go down in forum history as an epic gag gift.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Received a gift package from @Michigan Planner including a wonderful book of Balthazar Korab’s photography and treats from around where he resides. Already ate the chocolate and it was superb. I plan on taking the rest of the treats with me to share with my family when I visit them this weekend.

Thanks @Michigan Planner!

IMG_7838.jpeg

IMG_7840.jpeg

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Secret Santa came through today with a lovely card, beautiful book, some wonderful looking tea (that I will enjoy tomorrow) a long with a handy canvas tote.

Top of my agenda tomorrow will be to page through this more while sipping a cuppa'.

Thanks @Friend !!
1000014104.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Received a gift package from @Michigan Planner including a wonderful book of Balthazar Korab’s photography and treats from around where he resides. Already ate the chocolate and it was superb. I plan on taking the rest of the treats with me to share with my family when I visit them this weekend.

Thanks @Michigan Planner!

View attachment 2095093
View attachment 2095095

My goal with Christmas shopping each year is to only buy gifts from stores I can walk to, but I tore my calf a couple months ago so did have to cheat a little bit this time around, especially to get the chocolate since they closed their shop that used to be a couple blocks from me.

FWIW, I have a few other books of Korab's work but not the one I sent to you. I had walked over to the Cranbrook grounds with the intention of looking for an art book about the Saarinen House (and maybe Saarinen design in general) but they didn't have any. I started leafing through another book on Midcentury design in Michigan but then I saw this Korab book and that it was entirely made up of shots he took in and around Cranbrook. I really liked the Midcentury book but it didn't have a local enough flavor for me.

For those interested, Balthazar Korab was born in Hungary but moved to the U.S. and became an architect and architectural photographer. He worked extensively with Eero Saarinen and some other industrial designers and architects here in Metro Detroit. I believe he even placed 3rd or 4th in the design competition for the Sydney Opera House (or his work with Saarinen placed). He was also the great-uncle of a very good friend of mine from graduate school.

The Cranbrook campus is my absolute favorite local place. I never get tired of the art and science museums, I can wonder the school grounds and the gardens for hours each week (and often do), we love the various theatres, and our kids are always agreeable when I suggest going there for a hike. If I could convince my wife, I'd even consider sending my kids to school there... only as borders though. Gotta get them out of the house somehow!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somehow, I ended up with @ValidusLA as my Secret Santa 2 years in a row.... Win for me!

IMG_6255.jpeg

I asked for books and treats and he definitely delivered. The Chuck Klosterman book was a specific request so it was hard to get that one wrong, and then I asked for a book(s) that the giver would be interested in. I've only read Mounk in the Atlantic and maybe some editorials but I always enjoy his writing and when I he pops up in some of the podcasts I like to listen to (I think I've heard him on Slate, the Atlantic, Vox, and maybe he was a guest on KCRW LFC a few times?). Either way, I'm looking forward to reading this one. The other one is the first (at least, it appears, chronologically) in the "Richard Sharpe" series. I had never heard of this series before but based on the description in the note from ValidusLA and what I can gather from the book jacket, I think I am going to like this a lot. I really enjoy serialized fiction, and the pulpier the better so I have a feeling this is going to be right up my alley. And it looks like there are plenty of books in the series to keep me busy through the winter.

The zucchini bread is delicious and my daughters and I already had big slices of it this evening.

I hid the s'mores candy bear and the little pear candies to keep the goblins I live with from finding them but my oldest saw the red box from the chocolates when she got home from school and immediately remembered it from the same chocolatier that we were blessed to receive chocolates from last year.

IMG_6256.jpeg

Thank you very much! Everything is certain to be enjoyed here.

Friend

Reaction score
Secret Santa came through today with a lovely card, beautiful book, some wonderful looking tea (that I will enjoy tomorrow) a long with a handy canvas tote.

Top of my agenda tomorrow will be to page through this more while sipping a cuppa'.

Thanks @Friend !!
View attachment 2095385

You're very welcome! That tea shop is a favorite recent discovery - I asked what they recommended, and they suggested doing a daytime/nighttime set (the White Lotus is the nighttime of the two). The design book is one I enjoyed and is the slightly less abstract of the two of his I've seen, and it has some really beautiful photography. Enjoy!

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somehow, I ended up with @ValidusLA as my Secret Santa 2 years in a row.... Win for me!

View attachment 2095441

I asked for books and treats and he definitely delivered. The Chuck Klosterman book was a specific request so it was hard to get that one wrong, and then I asked for a book(s) that the giver would be interested in. I've only read Mounk in the Atlantic and maybe some editorials but I always enjoy his writing and when I he pops up in some of the podcasts I like to listen to (I think I've heard him on Slate, the Atlantic, Vox, and maybe he was a guest on KCRW LFC a few times?). Either way, I'm looking forward to reading this one. The other one is the first (at least, it appears, chronologically) in the "Richard Sharpe" series. I had never heard of this series before but based on the description in the note from ValidusLA and what I can gather from the book jacket, I think I am going to like this a lot. I really enjoy serialized fiction, and the pulpier the better so I have a feeling this is going to be right up my alley. And it looks like there are plenty of books in the series to keep me busy through the winter.

The zucchini bread is delicious and my daughters and I already had big slices of it this evening.

I hid the s'mores candy bear and the little pear candies to keep the goblins I live with from finding them but my oldest saw the red box from the chocolates when she got home from school and immediately remembered it from the same chocolatier that we were blessed to receive chocolates from last year.

View attachment 2095443

Thank you very much! Everything is certain to be enjoyed here.

I started Sharpe this year on the recommendation of a friend. We have a yearly reading challenge for charity that awards bonus points for chain reading so I picked it up. It is... very pulpy. Definitly an indulgent read. If you like it, make sure to look up a reading order. They were written extremely out of order. I'm on 14 and still enjoying, though some are stronger than others.

The Mignon chocolate really is the best. If you are a marzipan fan make sure to save row 6 #4 for yourself!

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Daddy always delivers

I wanted to make sure I got my SS (who has already received parts of her gift and approved me posting this) something that made a statement in the home, but also throughout the generations of children, grandchildren , great grand children etc.

So the only obvious thing to do was...commission a portrait of myself, her, and her doting husband.

207162_ThePalaceMusicians_8x10_V00_preview.jpg

Now, it should be noted, I have never met either of them in person. But, I wanted to memorialize my personal greatness along side of theirs. A 16x12 canvas will be delivered probs after Christmas. But. Generations will enjoy this.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a note from US Customs saying a shipment of Panda Bear cutlets, Pangolin fritters, and a few bottles of California Condor sauce are held up at LAX for some reason.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads