• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew Fall/Winter 2010 Discussion

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
Regarding the issue of sizing down for a slim fit and so on... I've said it before but here's my take. J. Crew is built on the preppy look and style which overall is not meant to look extremely fitted and slim. It's a more relaxed look. I think that's why a lot of people, especially really young guys, have problems with the J. Crew fit. You can't go to J. Crew expecting to get the same kind of modern silouette you find with other brands. That's not what the J. Crew look is about.

That said, sure, sizing down will slim it up for you. So I guess it's about what you want. Slim or relaxed.

Rob- J Crew is nothing like it was. It may have been based on preppy clothing, but today it is all over the map.
Most of the SW&D items are workwear and military styled. The MC items are more GQ than Brooks Brothers/J Press.
5 years ago they offered like 30 different ribbon belts, no collabs, almost no boots, nothing utility/workwear,...
Todays J Crew is nothing like it was.
FWIW I prefer todays J Crew.

Edit- I also don't remember anything costing more than $100 except for a couple jackets.

theuglylover

Reaction score
He's right about the sizing, though. While the styles and variety of J. Crew is much different, their fits and silhouettes are on the relaxed side rather than tailored/slim fits. I find myself swimming in the sleeves especially.

Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Rob- J Crew is nothing like it was. It may have been based on preppy clothing, but today it is all over the map.
Most of the SW&D items are workwear and military styled. The MC items are more GQ than Brooks Brothers/J Press.
5 years ago they offered like 30 different ribbon belts, no collabs, almost no boots, nothing utility/workwear,...
Todays J Crew is nothing like it was.
FWIW I prefer todays J Crew.

Edit- I also don't remember anything costing more than $100 except for a couple jackets.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theuglylover
He's right about the sizing, though. While the styles and variety of J. Crew is much different, their fits and silhouettes are on the relaxed side rather than tailored/slim fits. I find myself swimming in the sleeves especially.

J Crew still offers slimmer pants and shirts when compared to Lands End, Gap, Banana Republic, LL Bean,...

dunelly

Reaction score
shoulders on shirts are too small while the body is too big, tiny neck, massive sleeves
frown.gif
their pants are nice though

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
J Crew still offers slimmer pants and shirts when compared to Lands End, Gap, Banana Republic, LL Bean,...

I agree, that is, I have to say that overall J. Crew is slimmer than those others--which is why I prefer J. Crew over them. But even so, Crew is more relaxed than "younger" fits/brands.

tahonng

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
I'm considering the Danner hiking boots. Pricing isn't too far off normal Danner boots and I like the colour, although I can't see these working for anything other then weekends camping/at the cottage etc. Certainly not for walking around downtown.

Not to put you off J. Crew's Danners, but you might like these:

Screenshot2010-10-14at102208AM.png

They're $2 more at Danner's site. I personally like this color of all the iterations I've seen. And that includes the stuff I've seen on Rakuten.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are there any discounts or promotions going on right now for JCrew? I have been holding off but really need to make a move on several items and I am going to be looking at a large $$$ total for it all. Any type of discount would help.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Are there any discounts or promotions going on right now for JCrew? I have been holding off but really need to make a move on several items and I am going to be looking at a large $$$ total for it all. Any type of discount would help.

Likewise...or if someone has a discount and can proxy me a peacoat to Toronto, Canada I'd really appreciate it.

mossmadness88

Reaction score
Only promotions going on right now are for women. Why does it seem like every deal J Crew runs is allows a women only deal?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I notice women and kids get deals all the time. Guys not so much. I think it's because they realize how popular their brand is right now. :/

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just saw the new releases via email. 1 or two shirts and maybe the alpaca cardigan. That's about it on the interesting front unless you want to drop 5 bills on a collab.

What the **** is up with the $350 "repaired" chinos? They've really lost their nut over there at JCrew.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
Why do they make the shoulders so wide? I'm pretty sure I have average shoulders for my height. If it went 17" for small, 18" for medium, etc. (instead of 17.5, 18.5) , I'm pretty sure it would fit much better for most people. I understand why the chest and waist aren't slim (as they're appealing to the masses). If you look at the blazers/sportcoats on the site, you can see that the shoulders are hanging off and are about 1/2 inch too big on each side.

This is why me and my wide-ass shoulders love J. Crew.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
Why do they make the shoulders so wide? I'm pretty sure I have average shoulders for my height. If it went 17" for small, 18" for medium, etc. (instead of 17.5, 18.5) , I'm pretty sure it would fit much better for most people. I understand why the chest and waist aren't slim (as they're appealing to the masses). If you look at the blazers/sportcoats on the site, you can see that the shoulders are hanging off and are about 1/2 inch too big on each side.

This is why me and my wide-ass shoulders love the Crew.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads