• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriate Seasons for a Suit/Sportcoat?

tcmquincy

Reaction score
I own quite a few suits and sportscoats and live in Houston, where it is hot and humid 8 or 9 months out of the year. For this reason, most of my sportscoats are of a lighter weight and even though I work in a climate controlled office I will not wear the few heavier weight jackets I own during the hot months.

We have finally entered the cooler part of the year and I am wondering how to tell if some of my lighter jackets (in both weight and color) can be worn during these months. It is not cold enough where a heavy jacket is necessary, but I worry that my lighter jackets (many of them hopsack) would look out-of-place this time of year. I dont particularly want to buy many more "fall/winter" sportcoats as those months are short lived in Texas and would be unwearable for 9 months out of the year. How much do you take the temperature and time of year into account when selecting a jacket/suit to purchase or wear?

notdos

Reaction score
If lighter weight, I defer to color/pattern as I live in a similar climate.

Phillip

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If lighter weight, I defer to color/pattern as I live in a similar climate.

Phillip

Agree. I wouldn’t hesitate to wear a navy hopsack (For example) 12 months a year. Light colored summery things are different.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear what you want. No one is going to call you out for wearing the wrong season's jacket. And if some one does, well, the hell with them.

Mirage-

Reaction score
Wear what you want. No one is going to call you out for wearing the wrong season's jacket.
Agree, as I've said before I've worn linen trousers and a completely unconstructed washed cotton jacket into late october this year due to the absurd heat wave in Rome. It amused me quite a lot but other people didn't seem to care at all.
Regarding colors, I don't usually wear bright tailoring in the first place, except for white or off-white trousers, and I think those work perfectly fine in any season really as long as it's sunny. Then if we are talking about light but not bright colours (e.g. shades of beige), I don't see any problem at all.

In fact, i would say the only thing that truly looks off to me is precisely people who dress by the calendar instead of by actual climate, and will wonder around in heavy coats when it's 28C outside or stuff like that. Those look like they live in some alternate dimension.

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score
I live in South Carolina where our weather is quite similar. Since our cool season starts so late, I'd say that you are at your own discretion when wearing lighter clothing. I do think it would be odd to see a full linen suit in October, but a high-twist or hopsack suit would be appropriate essentially year-round. There are also wool silk/wool linen blends that don't crease as readily as pure linen, drape well, and are rather light that I wear year-round as well.

Color wise I think many summer colors are fine year-round, too. I wouldn't think twice seeing the following SC in an office in December - at least not here in the South Carolina.

Brown Check - Neo Cut | Sportcoat | SPIER & MACKAY (spierandmackay.com)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads