• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew F/W 09 Discussion

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blog Marley
Got back from J. Crew. For the person who asked, I didn't like the shirt jacket at all. I don't get the dislike of the Urban Slim chinos, I bought a pair and love the fit, they only had grey and khaki. I wish red was accepted as a fall color (or that they atleast stocked it).

Also I tried on the sperry chukkas, they're ugly. I tried to like them I really did but I just can't.

See? There's a reason I was promoting those for someone with our stats. Glad you like them. Did you expect them to fit differently at first prior to trying them on? I originally thought they'd feel like skinny pants, but when I tried them on I thought they were money for a slim oair ok khaki's. Close to Incotex slim (sanz the same quality obviously), but a close fit.

ataru

Reaction score
I'm 6' tall, 155 lbs, 40R and I would be able to wear the smalls for a nice fit if not for the extremely tight neck. I think the somewhat looser look of the m is more appropriate for the jcrew sort of laid back look though, anyway. I go with RRL mediums for slim, jcrew mediums for more relaxed (which looks fine as long as the pants aren't too slim to balance out)

mdeep1

Reaction score
hey guys, i just realized that j.crew doesn't make a 36/s in their sportcoats. would it be worth it to buy a 36/r and then have it tailored?

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's more important that the jacket fits you than you get your "size", and as you indicated, if the 36R is too long for you, sleeve/body length can be altered by any good tailor (it'd probably be a good idea to check the rest of the jacket for alterations while you're at it).

ennui

Reaction score
Originally Posted by superego
It's more important that the jacket fits you than you get your "size", and as you indicated, if the 36R is too long for you, sleeve/body length can be altered by any good tailor (it'd probably be a good idea to check the rest of the jacket for alterations while you're at it).

The body length can only be altered at most an inch or so (preferably less) on most jackets, otherwise the pockets will look too close to the bottom hem, throwing off the look in front. The difference between an R and an S depends on manufacturer, so you'll want to call J. Crew and ask.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blog Marley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
See? There's a reason I was promoting those for someone with our stats. Glad you like them. Did you expect them to fit differently at first prior to trying them on? I originally thought they'd feel like skinny pants, but when I tried them on I thought they were money for a slim oair ok khaki's. Close to Incotex slim (sanz the same quality obviously), but a close fit.

Truth be told, I only saw the front coin pocket and assumed they were the officer chinos. I had tried on the classic fit and regular fit. I thought classic was nice and regular was ****, but once I put on the slims it was a perfect match. I originally sized down one at tried a 31x32 and really liked the fit except that it was tight in the waist. I wore my 32s today and am very pleased.

PAguy22

Reaction score
I've been thinking about buying a cashmere hoodie for a while now. And I'm curious as to the fit? I also have never seen any of them in store. Does anyone know if they do sell them in store, and which location that is?

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have never seen them myself. But I'd personally never spend $300 on a hoodie. Just check with J. Crew customer service about where they're sold.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Do you base any of your "looks" on the J. Crew catalog? I'm talking to the people here who buy a lot of J. Crew stuff. I know I do. I often don't have enough imagination myself about how to pair things, so I go to the pages of my J. Crew catalogs, even the old ones. I even look in the crewcut section.

I've also gotten ideas from how the store dresses the mannequins.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't mean to say I copy exactly, just get ideas.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coongameb52