• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Investment Banking Discussion Thread

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the financials for the target and not the buyer. One reason the buyer is interested in buying the target is to take over the target's network, which would save the acquirer $100M in network expansion capex. We've valued the target at ~$150-200M. How can I factor in this synergy?

The two solutions I have found both seem to be insufficient. The first is to add the synergy into the denominator of EV/EBITDA but this decreases the valuation multiple which doesn't make sense to me. The second is to value the companies individually, then combined, then combined with the synergy; obviously I don't have the data to do this.

Also, the target has informed us they have spoke with capital providers who have indicated they could refinance their existing debt at a pre-tax rate of 12%. I only have the information on the balance sheet that discusses current and long term liabilities. The income statement also has the net interest expense on it. I'm trying to figure out how to use this information to increase the valuation but with this limited amount of information it doesn't seem possible. I don't know the current interest rate, just that if they're refinancing to 12% it's gotta be higher than that. Then again I don't see why they'd give this to me if it's useless. Any ideas?

This is an example from a few years ago that we're just doing a dry run on to iron out the kinks and answer any questions we think of.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IB is a contracting industry. I'd look into a different career if I were you. Bonuses aren't what they used to be and the hours are the same. **** that noise.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
come on the cup cake bubble is going to pop in early summer 2013 we all know that...might as well combine your idea with GFs and make a cup cake food truck...seriously though food trucks are awesome.

Short the cupcakes

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lo the cup cake bubble already popped two summers ago.

the next bubble is gonna be macarons (no, not macaroons you dummy); you heard it here first!

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lo the cup cake bubble already popped two summers ago.

the next bubble is gonna be macarons (no, not macaroons you dummy); you heard it here first!

Im thinking crepes...weve got a crepe place that just opened up by me in boston in fenway area then there is one on newbury street and a few down town. Also there are two different food trucks designated to crepes. So they get my pick.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well we presented our practice valuation and hit it pretty much on the head aside from not accounting for capex in the LBO projection, which overvalued it and caused us to suggest the wrong strategy. We also set the interest on debt too low, as the case we ran through took place in 2010 when debt markets were tight. I've probably learned more in the past week going through this practice case than I have about valuation pretty much ever before.

The 12% refi was supposed to just be what we use as an interest rate on senior debt in the LBO model, so I was looking into it too much.

How can I put this case comp on my resume? Just as a single line item? I don't have a ton of experience so I want to state it but not overemphasize it. I've heard of people in my situation putting on their resume that they've run through the various models (comps/trans/DCF/LBO) and bringing the examples to interviews. Is this reasonable or just stupid?

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well we presented our practice valuation and hit it pretty much on the head aside from not accounting for capex in the LBO projection, which overvalued it and caused us to suggest the wrong strategy. We also set the interest on debt too low, as the case we ran through took place in 2010 when debt markets were tight. I've probably learned more in the past week going through this practice case than I have about valuation pretty much ever before.

The 12% refi was supposed to just be what we use as an interest rate on senior debt in the LBO model, so I was looking into it too much.

How can I put this case comp on my resume? Just as a single line item? I don't have a ton of experience so I want to state it but not overemphasize it. I've heard of people in my situation putting on their resume that they've run through the various models (comps/trans/DCF/LBO) and bringing the examples to interviews. Is this reasonable or just stupid?

Nothing wrong with making a nice printout of your models and bringing it with to talk about should it come up during the interview.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads