• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction and a quick question

tchaikovsky

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and I must say I'm happy to be here. Everyone seems to have a wealth of information and background concerning clothes.

A little about me- I'm currently at a high level academic institution, and I need to get my hands on a suit (or two) for corporate recruiting.

My question- where would you guys best suggest finding a suit for a reasonable price? And perhaps more specifically as well- is Ebay trustable?

Tchaikovsky

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

where would you guys best suggest finding a suit for a reasonable price?

It would be helpful if you'd tell us where you're located.

And perhaps more specifically as well- is Ebay trustable?
eBay's trustworthiness isn't really the issue. What you should care about is whether the party from whom you're buying, via eBay, is trustworthy.

Some sellers - the vast majority, in my experience - are trustworthy. If the seller has a feedback score near 100%, over an extended period of time and a large number of transactions, and if the listing contains a great deal of relevant information and photos, it is highly unlikely the seller is seeking to defraud the buyer.

And if you do come across a seller on eBay who has cheated you, there are remedies in place which will often suffice to get you back your money. (Generally speaking, eBay's policies with regard to dispute resolution favor the buyer, not the seller.)

However, buying via eBay does mean buying without seeing the suit in person and without trying it on first. And if one isn't rather familiar with choosing suits and determining - solely from a few photos and some measurements - how well a suit is likely to fit, and what can be easily and inexpensively altered, I think it can be a better idea to purchase from an actual store, in person.

Which is why I mentioned it'd be helpful if we knew where you're located.

(Of course, choosing the best local store at which to shop for a suit, the best day and time to visit that store, what you should be wearing when you go shopping for a suit, how to choose a salesman to help you, etc., are outside the scope of your quick question.)

tchaikovsky

Reaction score
It would be helpful if you'd tell us where you're located.
eBay's trustworthiness isn't really the issue. What you should care about is whether the party from whom you're buying, via eBay, is trustworthy.

Some sellers - the vast majority, in my experience - are trustworthy. If the seller has a feedback score near 100%, over an extended period of time and a large number of transactions, and if the listing contains a great deal of relevant information and photos, it is highly unlikely the seller is seeking to defraud the buyer.

And if you do come across a seller on eBay who has cheated you, there are remedies in place which will often suffice to get you back your money. (Generally speaking, eBay's policies with regard to dispute resolution favor the buyer, not the seller.)

However, buying via eBay does mean buying without seeing the suit in person and without trying it on first. And if one isn't rather familiar with choosing suits and determining - solely from a few photos and some measurements - how well a suit is likely to fit, and what can be easily and inexpensively altered, I think it can be a better idea to purchase from an actual store, in person.

Which is why I mentioned it'd be helpful if we knew where you're located.

(Of course, choosing the best local store at which to shop for a suit, the best day and time to visit that store, what you should be wearing when you go shopping for a suit, how to choose a salesman to help you, etc., are outside the scope of your quick question.)

Thanks for your long reply. I appreciate your words on ebay; I feared that too, and I would really like to see things in person as well. I assume knowing what can / must be tailored comes from practice? Also, I'm located in Boston, and I have access to the subway system there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads