Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Introduction and a quick question

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tchaikovsky, Sep 16, 2016.

1. tchaikovsky

tchaikovsky New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and I must say I'm happy to be here. Everyone seems to have a wealth of information and background concerning clothes.

A little about me- I'm currently at a high level academic institution, and I need to get my hands on a suit (or two) for corporate recruiting.

My question- where would you guys best suggest finding a suit for a reasonable price? And perhaps more specifically as well- is Ebay trustable?

Tchaikovsky

2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

It would be helpful if you'd tell us where you're located.

eBay's trustworthiness isn't really the issue. What you should care about is whether the party from whom you're buying, via eBay, is trustworthy.

Some sellers - the vast majority, in my experience - are trustworthy. If the seller has a feedback score near 100%, over an extended period of time and a large number of transactions, and if the listing contains a great deal of relevant information and photos, it is highly unlikely the seller is seeking to defraud the buyer.

And if you do come across a seller on eBay who has cheated you, there are remedies in place which will often suffice to get you back your money. (Generally speaking, eBay's policies with regard to dispute resolution favor the buyer, not the seller.)

However, buying via eBay does mean buying without seeing the suit in person and without trying it on first. And if one isn't rather familiar with choosing suits and determining - solely from a few photos and some measurements - how well a suit is likely to fit, and what can be easily and inexpensively altered, I think it can be a better idea to purchase from an actual store, in person.

Which is why I mentioned it'd be helpful if we knew where you're located.

(Of course, choosing the best local store at which to shop for a suit, the best day and time to visit that store, what you should be wearing when you go shopping for a suit, how to choose a salesman to help you, etc., are outside the scope of your quick question.)

3. tchaikovsky

tchaikovsky New Member

Thanks for your long reply. I appreciate your words on ebay; I feared that too, and I would really like to see things in person as well. I assume knowing what can / must be tailored comes from practice? Also, I'm located in Boston, and I have access to the subway system there.