• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Interesting American regional Accents

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
3,990
Reaction score
70
Boston Brahmin
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Cajun
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
 

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
3,990
Reaction score
70
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
 

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
14,007
Reaction score
2,162
Thanks for posting this. I wish the Gullah segment had more Gullah speech and less commentary. Clarence Thomas was geechee and says in his memoirs that his grandparents had pretty thick Gullah accents.
 

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
14,007
Reaction score
2,162
There's also a real interesting dialect on Tangier Island in the Chesapeake. I love accents.
 

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
3,990
Reaction score
70
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Thanks for posting this. I wish the Gullah segment had more Gullah speech and less commentary. Clarence Thomas was geechee and says in his memoirs that his grandparents had pretty thick Gullah accents.
He spoke it through elementry school, "before it was cool." I actually know of few geechies, upper land and lowland. Upland geechies sound less African. Lowland Geechies and Jamaicans sound very similiar, it is very interesting. Gulllah people are in North Florida too, correct?
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
There's also a real interesting dialect on Tangier Island in the Chesapeake. I love accents.
I just watched a clip of that dialect on Youtube hadn't heard of it previously.
 

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
3,990
Reaction score
70
Decided she couldn't date her Yalie boyfriend because the further south they went the more hill billyish he sounded.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
 

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
14,007
Reaction score
2,162
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
He spoke it through elementry school, "before it was cool." I actually know of few geechies, upper land and lowland. Upland geechies sound less African. Lowland Geechies and Jamaicans sound very similiar, it is very interesting. Gulllah people are in North Florida too, correct?

I just watched a clip of that dialect on Youtube hadn't heard of it previously.


Yeah, there are a few geechees left in N. Florida, especially north of Jacksonville and around the Okeefenokee. I have this odd habit of attending rural black churches and have met a few. You can even tell by their appearance. It's pretty interesting.
 

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Joined
Aug 18, 2006
Messages
14,007
Reaction score
2,162
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Decided she couldn't date her Yalie boyfriend because the further south they went the more hill billyish he sounded.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.


I'm sure she also considers herself a very tolerant and open-minded person. Stereotyping - only bad when other people do it! And what the fuck are "Southern" hand gestures?

I also like the Long Island redneck saying that all Southerners talk like n----s. What a piece of shit. I actually met a guy from Michigan who said that same thing to me. The irony is that he also complained about how racist the South was.
 

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
3,778
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I'm sure she also considers herself a very tolerant and open-minded person. Stereotyping - only bad when other people do it.

It really is what New Englanders think. She has a pretty mild NE accent. It gets much worse in some parts, I'm from RI and it's like nails on a chalkboard to me sometimes.

... I've learned to hide my accent.
 

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2004
Messages
3,990
Reaction score
70
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Yeah, there are a few geechees left in N. Florida, especially north of Jacksonville and around the Okeefenokee. I have this odd habit of attending rural black churches and have met a few. You can even tell by their appearance. It's pretty interesting.

They are an interresting group. They make great seafood, and they are both as African and country as you will come across in the U.S. We have a reasonable population of them here in Hartford, my fathers best friend is an "Upper land" geechie, no one ever knows what he talking about.
 

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2005
Messages
8,739
Reaction score
43
I refuse to hide my Jersey accent. It's just a part of who I am.
 

SenorMatador

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2008
Messages
140
Reaction score
0
In parts of south Ohio there are people who say things like "worsh" instead of "wash" or "melk" instead of "milk". "O-Hi-O" turns into "Uh-hi-uh"

It throws you for a loop and I couldn't help but think how uneducated it sounds when I heard a grown man say those things, because it sounds like lazy talk.
 

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
1,351
Reaction score
3
Im pretty sure us Northwesterners are the only accent-less region in the world.
 

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2006
Messages
9,929
Reaction score
2,010
Originally Posted by JesseJB
Im pretty sure us Northwesterners are the only accent-less region in the world.

Of course, to a rural southerner, northwesterners probably come across as having a very distinct accent.. Its all a function of your baseline or frame of reference..
 

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
14,384
Reaction score
2,073
In California we speak correctly. Everybody else, from Manhattan to Mississipi to Michigan, sounds like a fucking hick to me.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 53 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,199
Messages
9,229,892
Members
193,750
Latest member
JFVX 73
Top