• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

zenbot

Reaction score
My essential charcoal suit arrived today (two weeks from go to whoa "” pretty impressive!).

The pants are just about perfect "” maybe a centimetre or two too long, but otherwise a lovely fit.

The jacket is going to need some work. The lapels are suited to a much smaller dude "” I'm 6'4'' and a shade over a hundred kilos, and the standard lapels just look way too small. This is my fault, of course. This is my first suit not purchased OTR, and while I know what looks right, I'm no good at translating that into measurements!

The shoulders, as expected, are too wide, by maybe a couple of inches. It's a little weird through the waist, also "” my wife said that "It makes you look portly, and you're not portly." That's a contentious point, but the jacket shouldn't be making me look more portly than I am.

I'll post some pics once I get over my terror at being completely disassembled by SF's sartorial pathologists.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zenbot
My essential charcoal suit arrived today (two weeks from go to whoa "” pretty impressive!).

The pants are just about perfect "” maybe a centimetre or two too long, but otherwise a lovely fit.

The jacket is going to need some work. The lapels are suited to a much smaller dude "” I'm 6'4'' and a shade over a hundred kilos, and the standard lapels just look way too small. This is my fault, of course. This is my first suit not purchased OTR, and while I know what looks right, I'm no good at translating that into measurements!

The shoulders, as expected, are too wide, by maybe a couple of inches. It's a little weird through the waist, also "” my wife said that "It makes you look portly, and you're not portly." That's a contentious point, but the jacket shouldn't be making me look more portly than I am.

I'll post some pics once I get over my terror at being completely disassembled by SF's sartorial pathologists.

LOL. Just post some picks and don't worry about it. If the shoulders don't fit right forget about altering the suit. It will never look right.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
Yeah, I'm leaning toward Indochino just because it sucks to have those ridiculous low armholes and chubby sleeves/legs. Would rather have the $350 Indochino suit than the $650 (retail price; I paid $250) Alfani suit that's going to cost $50 for alterations and still won't let me raise my arms above my head without losing a button.

Dude Alfani is Macy's house brand and is garbage, that is why it is always on sale. You can do a lot better at discount stores, ebay and B&S.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
Dude Alfani is Macy's house brand and is garbage, that is why it is always on sale. You can do a lot better at discount stores, ebay and B&S.

Yeah, I agree. It was my first suit, and I had a week to find something to perform classical choir repertoire in. Also, I was in Champaign, Illinois, where they don't even have a J Crew or H&M at their mall, and I'm a 36S. What a ******* nightmare.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just got my remake back. they only remade the suit jacket and shirt, did not remake the vest and pants.

i can get the rest tailored.
i have to say it fits pretty nice now! shoulders again pretty ugly but acceptable for the price. overall good fit, sleeves could be a bit tighter around the arms.

i'm satisfied with this suit.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LorenzL
re shoulders, didn't someone request "natural shoulders" and how did that turn out?

i requested natural shoulders.

that didn't seem to make a difference tho.
i just think the padding isn't sewn in perfect at the shoulders so it bulges a bit.

i have a slight athletic building, b/c i work out on and off so would have preferred the natural shoulders.

honestly i'm sure within a couple years when i can afford better suits i'll probably still do indochino, it should be an awesome value for the price in the long term (couple years), they just need to work out some issues.

customer service is top notch, that is key.

LorenzL

Reaction score
Hi guys, my interview is now up at http://indochino-review.blogspot.com...chino-ceo.html. I hope you enjoy the read, I got many ideas for the questions from this thread. Special thanks to JeffreyD for answering my emails regarding suit construction! Hope you enjoy it and let me know what you think
smile.gif

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since you seem to have their ear, tell them to put a piece of 18- or 21-pick haircloth in the shoulder, it'll be a huge improvement in the cleanliness of it, natural or otherwise.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty good review. I like how they seem to take customer feedback very seriously. I'm also impressed that they're addressing the concerns about the canvasing, fabric choices, and the shoulder issues.

Looking forward to see how it all plays out.

LorenzL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
Since you seem to have their ear, tell them to put a piece of 18- or 21-pick haircloth in the shoulder, it'll be a huge improvement in the cleanliness of it, natural or otherwise.

I will do! I hope I got the questions regarding the suit construction right, thank you again very much for the email conversation!

beowolf

Reaction score
very nice interview. The questions and answers have addressed my main concerns. I will give them a try next month.

Amice

Reaction score
Let's see if they resolve their issues in the future...

And all this talk about 'full canvas'. At least we know they will be incorporating padding lapels in the future.. But can we still conclude the current, and future, suits will have a fully fused front as well as a seperate canvas layer?

Can any of the experts comment on the rational and quality of such a choice?

As for the shoulder issue... Let's just hope they will fix this issue. Even the photos used for their site show issues on their models, but it seems they improved: in earlier photo's the shoulders are just a total nightmare. The current ones just don't look that great, but at least they are not in the nightmare-area anymore.

Beowolf, I wish you goodluck on your order. Keep us informed, let us know what details you go for ('natural shoulder' or not) and if possible make some photos.

Also, Lorenz, I am very interested in reading the things you learned from your conversation with JeffryD. I prefer information from a 3rth party, especially a truly experienced one, over information provided by a companies CEO.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Good job with the interview. I'd still like to know if they'd be willing to offer alternative hand-sewn pick stitching at an additional cost. It is nice to hear they are attempting to address many of the issues brought up here. I'll be staying posted LorenzL.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Pretty good review. I like how they seem to take customer feedback very seriously. I'm also impressed that they're addressing the concerns about the canvasing, fabric choices, and the shoulder issues. Looking forward to see how it all plays out.
This has NOT been my experience. I contacted their customer service several times asking them about their canvas, shoulders etc., or even before I bought my suit. Of course, I don't have a web site or a blog with the Indochino name on it. Whenever I asked them a question or made a suggestion that went beyond their cookie-cutter approach, their reply was something along the lines of "we make well-fitting suits for the majority of people, if you are more discerning, you may be better served by going to a bespoke tailor" If you are too discerning, I don't think they even want your business. They know it's unlikely they will get it right, so they just won't risk it. Don't mistake marketing/PR for customer service. Their customer service is very one-dimensional. They can give you a discount here or there, but care very little about what you have to say about the product or production process, and I am not sure they even read everything you write them.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene