• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

Amice

Reaction score
Makeshift_Robot, I am absolutely not mad about the fact they are not making bespoke suits. If there is anything that pissed me off, it is the fact they are claiming they are making suits that matches bespoke quality. Check out the "Why Custom made" part on their site (http://www.indochino.com/customization/index.html) and click on "Bespoke Quality". Heck, if they sell their stuff with half-decent shoulders, provide consistent measurements, half-decent fabrics and be honest about the construction (even if it is fully fused) I would consider it a good option for people who have a hard time finding the right size and who are on a budget. As for the primary audience. It indeed is hard to say. I don't expect it's mainly suit connaisseurs/people-who-care-about-suits. I think it's mainly the avarage joe who is looking for something with a cut above the rest at bargain prices. I presume it is about the same people who fall into the Thailand-tailoring-traps when travelling around. I would consider myself to be in the people-who-care-about-suits category, like most people here. I almost placed an order. But after reading everything here, I'll just wait until I'm sure it's not just a waste of money.

Amice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LorenzL
Jeffrey, can it be a cost issue? I tend to think it's not, because why would fusing + canvassing be cheaper than just canvassing or half-canvassing. It's more material involved and thus it's more working time. I would really like to get behind the reasoning of this...A pity that you are so far away, because it would be interesting to give you one of their improved suits andsee how the construction looks like.

I also wonder why. Maybe to be able to market it as "full canvas" and "bespoke quality" without having to spend the time to actually sew in a front canvas? This is truly a 'saving factor'.

LorenzL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Amice
I would consider myself to be in the people-who-care-about-suits category, like most people here. I almost placed an order. But after reading everything here, I'll just wait until I'm sure it's not just a waste of money.

I'm completely with you on many points you make. About the last sentence, you are not risking anything anyway (except time and money for shipping stuff back, as someone mentioned).

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LorenzL
Jeffrey, can it be a cost issue? I tend to think it's not, because why would fusing + canvassing be cheaper than just canvassing or half-canvassing. It's more material involved and thus it's more working time. I would really like to get behind the reasoning of this...A pity that you are so far away, because it would be interesting to give you one of their improved suits andsee how the construction looks like.

Anything short of full canvassing is a cost-cutting measure. The money is saved by not canvassing the lapel. That involves more work. They probably found it worked better or easier to canvas the whole front and not just the lapel.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mjc
I wonder who their primary audience is. Given the early preponderance of black suits (poly, cotton, wool, black, black, black), I would guess they originally targeted the hospitality industry - hotels, waiters, musicians, etc.

Probably over 50% of all suits sold are black. Either that's a lot of waiters and musicians or there's a lot of people who don't know/care about SF's ban on black suits.

Originally Posted by Matt S
Anything short of full canvassing is a cost-cutting measure. The money is saved by not canvassing the lapel. That involves more work. They probably found it worked better or easier to canvas the whole front and not just the lapel.

As I said before, it makes no sense to me. The cost of labor is so minimal that the extra work involved in padding the lapel would be pennies. It's more likely to be about the skill factor than anything else (or a seriously inexperienced designer). That said, having both fusing and canvas down the front is overkill- if it's fused you don't need canvas on the lower part so you are adding, bulk, weight, and cost for nothing by doing what they did.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
Probably over 50% of all suits sold are black. Either that's a lot of waiters and musicians or there's a lot of people who don't know/care about SF's ban on black suits.

As I said before, it makes no sense to me. The cost of labor is so minimal that the extra work involved in padding the lapel would be pennies. It's more likely to be about the skill factor than anything else (or a seriously inexperienced designer). That said, having both fusing and canvas down the front is overkill- if it's fused you don't need canvas on the lower part so you are adding, bulk, weight, and cost for nothing by doing what they did.

Want to be theire consultant and charge a fee
laugh.gif
?

As to black suit, well, in Asia black suit is "the" suit for business/politician, don't ask me why, at least in Taiwan, South Korea and Japan. That's at least a decent size market for you.

blazingazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coltboy75
Here is the video of the burn test I did. Keep in mind that I am not Steven Spielberg, James Cameron or Peter Jackson. Flickr also limited the length to 90 seconds. I did my best, tell me what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49633545@N05/4569186627/

i dont see any burning.

just displaying of the tailors kit.

jbharris88

Reaction score
Here is the video of the burn test I did. Keep in mind that I am not Steven Spielberg, James Cameron or Peter Jackson. Flickr also limited the length to 90 seconds. I did my best, tell me what you think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49633545@N05/4569186627/

You cut out the only important part! Put it up on youtube, veoh or the like.

LorenzL

Reaction score
Try this link for the full version.

Thanks! I have to confess, I need some guidance to go along with that video. What was the outcome?
As far as I can see, nothing dripped into the water, so that's a good sign. How was the smell and how did the fabric burn? They close-ups are a bit blurry, unfortunately.

coltboy75

Reaction score
Everything that should have dropped in the water dropped on the table. Nothing dripped, but I tried to show a close up of a large hard vein that formed on the fabric.

itsmemikey

Reaction score
in for updates on this whole thread...

actually just ordered the 3pc timeless charcoal, a white utility shirt and a tie from indochino, today.

i thought id done enough research over the past few weeks to make an educated decision on these guys - then i stumbled across Lorenz' blog and this forum..

ive since emailed indochino with my concerns about the natural shoulders, etc... hoping to have the problem avoided before it needs to be fixed. my fingers are crossed that since they are apparently now "aware" of this issue that ill have decent results..

im a little worried however, considering it looks like ive just ordered within days of them stating that they will be addressing these "issues".. so its easy for me to assume now that there hasnt been enough time since the problems were brought to light to allow for adjustment of their standard procedures and method of contruction...

im new to this forum obviously, but ill try to keep you guys updated on the progress and outcome. look forward to hearing your continued feedback also.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AsleyJaron