• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deciding between a few NYC suit brands

Iogasawara

Reaction score
I'm in the market to upgrade my $100 + tailoring JCPenny suit that I've had for almost a decade to a "real" suit. I'm going to wear it for an event the night before my wedding but would also like for it to be my regular suit for everything else. I don't have any other suits except I plan on getting one custom made in Vietnam while I'm there for my honeymoon.

I'm interested in a solid, navy suit and have a budget in the range of $1k - $1.5k / $1.6k with some wiggle room. I don't wear suits that often but do have quite a few weddings coming up that I'd wear this suit to. I like a more modern fit especially since I'm fairly lean but want to avoid the super slim, "trendier" look that I've read some of the Suit Supply sales people push.

I've narrowed it down to a few options:

I believe all are full canvassed except the J. Press doesn't specific on site. I feel like I've read The Armoury having the most consistently high reviews. I couldn't find many recent reviews / posts on Reddit or Styleforum for Sid Mashburn & J. Press suits. Are there any major differences between the suits in my list or are they fairly comparable and I should just go with the one that fits me best both from a fit & lifestyle perspective? I live in NYC and my deadline is to have something ready by early April. I've looked at No Man Walks Alone but nothing in my size / a little pricier for MTM and may go check out Todd Snyder. Any other good suggestions for places to check out? Some other on my back up lists are Paul Stuart, Alan David, and Martin Greenfield.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are all great options for your budget, however a couple of things to keep in mind.

First, more $$$ doesn't mean a better suit for you. Fit is king.

Secondly, once you get to a certain level of craftsmanship and fabric, the differences between all suits will be marginal. If a particular cut suits you the best, then stay in that lane and buy the suit you like. From what you've listed above, go with Sid Mash or The Armoury - they will tick all the boxes in terms of quality as long as the suit looks good on you and fits you well.

The biggest challenge of this whole situation will be the amount of overthinking you do =)

Iogasawara

Reaction score
Those are all great options for your budget, however a couple of things to keep in mind.

First, more $$$ doesn't mean a better suit for you. Fit is king.

Secondly, once you get to a certain level of craftsmanship and fabric, the differences between all suits will be marginal. If a particular cut suits you the best, then stay in that lane and buy the suit you like. From what you've listed above, go with Sid Mash or The Armoury - they will tick all the boxes in terms of quality as long as the suit looks good on you and fits you well.

The biggest challenge of this whole situation will be the amount of overthinking you do =)
Thank you, you are right that I tend to overthink larger purchases. It comes from analysis paralysis by constantly thinking I might not be purchasing the best for the amount spent but I always need to remind myself that if I'm happy then who cares.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some details that matter to me:

A..Mashburn #2 has natural shoulders, Mashburn # 2 doesn't say it does.
B Mashburn #3 has a ticket pocket. I hate ticket pockets
C The Press suit is a trad Ivy sack suit . The others aren't
D.The Armory suitt has extended shoulders. Depending on
your build, that could be flattering. The shoulders also seem slightly roped.
I'd never get a jacket with roped shoulders.

As for the others, Paul stuart seems to lave lost its' soul. Short jackets
and narrow lapels. A decade ago they were, IMHO, a more refined version
of Ralph Lauren, but closer to their Ivy origins. Greenfield is an MTM operation
which works (worked) with high end retailers and produces a wide range of styles.

Last edited:

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Having been through this sort of debate, for my first suit and with an eye for my own wedding, what I can say was the single best move was to go try em on.

Walk into suit supply. Don't read too much on the internet about what one guy said one sales guy pushed. For example, I liked going in to suitsupply (though I ended up not buying from them,) but my friend hated it. Neither experience invalidates the other. So! Try stuff on. Like? Don't like? Very important reference points. Take some photos.

Then do the same exact thing at other stores. Brooks Brothers. Whatever you find at Brookfield Place. Right? Try stuff on.

I think once you try on several suits from several brands / vendors / suppliers / manufacturers / tailors, you will have a much much better idea of what you actually want. And most importantly, what fits well. Rather than just e-shopping based on feedback from other people.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having been through this sort of debate, for my first suit and with an eye for my own wedding, what I can say was the single best move was to go try em on.

Walk into suit supply. Don't read too much on the internet about what one guy said one sales guy pushed. For example, I liked going in to suitsupply (though I ended up not buying from them,) but my friend hated it. Neither experience invalidates the other. So! Try stuff on. Like? Don't like? Very important reference points. Take some photos.

Then do the same exact thing at other stores. Brooks Brothers. Whatever you find at Brookfield Place. Right? Try stuff on.

I think once you try on several suits from several brands / vendors / suppliers / manufacturers / tailors, you will have a much much better idea of what you actually want. And most importantly, what fits well. Rather than just e-shopping based on feedback from other people.

This is terrific advice. Reading and looking at pictures only gets you so far. Try stuff on. Take notes of models/cuts whenever possible, not just the maker.

Pay attention not just to fit but also to styling. Two jackets can “fit” technically equally well but look very different on you because of differences in styling

Iogasawara

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm glad my list of places is a good starting point and now I just need to take everyone's advice and try them on physically.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as you are in NYC, my home town, and you are thinking of going
the MTM route, you might check out LS mens clothing, something of a local institution.
I've heard good tings about them but have never used them since I get to NYC only
every few years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads