• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit-Hunting Deep-Dive (for Canadians too)

fritz.lang

Reaction score
The topic of quality suit hunting for Canadians deserves a deep dive thread from this authoritative body.

Here’s a concrete question to start:
Are there any Canadian/Harry Rosen shoppers with experience and/or knowledge of their in-house MTM line Harold?

On background:
Most SF gents will note Rosen can be wildly overpriced, especially compared with available deals in the US. In Canada, Rosen and Holt are your dominant options. Canadians may also admit our suit style culture is still adolescent, at least compared to our continental and Asian fellows. I mention this only because it tends to limit availability and accessibility of affordable quality suiting.

Rosen’s newer HAROLD MTM line starts at just under $1K CAD, with steep premiums for materials and customization. Recently a Rosen salesperson pointed me toward this MTM option as a comparable alternative to a cheap cheap BOSS ($1400 and which is currently not fitting perfecting OTR anyway).

Can anyone attest to value for money?

Thanks for reading. I appreciate as much schooling as you Canadians and other wise folk can offer.

For reference:

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not understand or really appreciate your social commentary on the various
Canadian "types" and their clothing preferences even though I have distant relatives
in Montreal, who I haven't seen in decades, and own a gorgeous sport coat which no longer fits that I bought a Holt Renfrew, also decades ago. I do know, however, that the
Canadian manufacturer, Samuelsohn, has an excellent reputation for well-tailored
quality garments south of the border particularly at "Trad" retailers such as O'Connells
and the Andover Shop, and higher-end, more Euro-style, Wilkes Bashford.

Last edited:

BlueSteel

Reaction score
The topic of quality suit hunting for Canadians deserves a deep dive thread from this authoritative body.

Here’s a concrete question to start:
Are there any Canadian/Harry Rosen shoppers with experience and/or knowledge of their in-house MTM line Harold?

On background:
Most SF gents will note Rosen can be wildly overpriced, especially compared with available deals in the US. In Canada, Rosen and Holt are your dominant options. Canadians may also admit our suit style culture is still adolescent, at least compared to our continental and Asian fellows. I mention this only because it tends to limit availability and accessibility of affordable quality suiting.

Rosen’s newer HAROLD MTM line starts at just under $1K CAD, with steep premiums for materials and customization. Recently a Rosen salesperson pointed me toward this MTM option as a comparable alternative to a cheap cheap BOSS ($1400 and which is currently not fitting perfecting OTR anyway).

Can anyone attest to value for money?

Thanks for reading. I appreciate as much schooling as you Canadians and other wise folk can offer.

For reference:

Where are you in Canada? Several cities have much better options, including a few talented tailors.

Also Spier & Mackay is Canadian and frankly I much prefer to buy suits, sport coats and trousers from them than anyone you mentioned (often overpriced crap).

fritz.lang

Reaction score
I do not understand or really appreciate your social commentary on the various
Canadian "types" and their clothing preferences even though I have distant relatives
in Montreal, who I haven't seen in decades, and own a gorgeous sport coat which no longer fits that I bought a Holt Renfrew, also decades ago. I do know, however, that the
Canadian manufacturer, Samuelsohn, has an excellent reputation for well-tailored
quality garments south of the border particularly at "Trad" retailers such as O'Connells
and the Andover Shop, and higher-end, more Euro-style, Wilkes Bashford.
Hey I appreciate your critique and I've tried to clarify my language above. There are absolutely no "types" of Canadians, and I regret if I oversimplified my experience of Canadian suit culture.
Thanks for highlighting Samuelsohn; I'm sure your recommendations will be helpful for many.

fritz.lang

Reaction score
Where are you in Canada? Several cities have much better options, including a few talented tailors.

Also Spier & Mackay is Canadian and frankly I much prefer to buy suits, sport coats and trousers from them than anyone you mentioned (often overpriced crap).
I had not heard of Spier & MacKay. Thanks for this, BlueSteel. I'm in Alberta currently. I know a few reputable tailors here but their MTM and bespoke is currently outside my budget. But I do take good advice!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads