• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

talking about awesome loafers. these are to die for..., hands down. . .
the loafer is the type of shoe, where you can see the biggest difference from bespoke to RTW, if you can...

I found the photos of my Foster & S. loafers recently. Will post them over the weekend.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Mind you, young padawan, I didn't say Manolo's list was "useless and asinine" -- quite the contrary, I think it's well-chosen but presumes the wearer would actually be in situations he would wear that clothing. Owning this stuff doesn't make you well-dressed if you don't have occasion to wear it.

Well, we'll never know what you really said, because you deleted it. I tried to resuscitate your post with all my DH might, but it was beyond my power. Perhaps if all the DHs gather in a circle and chant your name over a dead cat and burn an RJcat square with a flame lit by a Parisian gas lamp, we'll be able to bring it back from the dead.

Of course, simply owning the things and not wearing them (or wearing them well, for that matter) is insufficient. I think we all knew that. As for occasions: well, you don't need much of one to wear an odd jacket or a suit. I do much of the time. Ask Dopey. He wanders around Amsterdam Avenue in a tweed suit and a pith helmet.

And actually, that raises a good point. What I abhor most of all is treating all this stuff as a sort of costume. Something to play dress-up in. I wear my tailored things most any time I step out of my home. At the very least, I'll have on my pents and a nice bespoke shirt.

I may be Patient Zero for acquiring oddball items, they keep me from answering Camus' fundamental question of existence.
The DB "more advanced" comment is an inside (Inner Circle?) joke from before your time. I take no position on whether one needs one to be well-dressed. If I were still ordering suits, an A&S DB made in the old way (SB-size buttons, nonfunctioning cuffs) in a light grey flannel would be one of the next items on my list. Who knows, maybe we could be light grey DB suit twins (fraternal).

Nothing is wrong with oddball items. But there is good oddball and bad oddball. Then there is all oddball, which is always bad oddball.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Mind you, young padawan, I didn't say Manolo's list was "useless and asinine" -- quite the contrary, I think it's well-chosen but presumes the wearer would actually be in situations he would wear that clothing. Owning this stuff doesn't make you well-dressed if you don't have occasion to wear it.
I may be Patient Zero for acquiring oddball items, they keep me from answering Camus' fundamental question of existence.
The DB "more advanced" comment is an inside (Inner Circle?) joke from before your time. I take no position on whether one needs one to be well-dressed. If I were still ordering suits, an A&S DB made in the old way (SB-size buttons, nonfunctioning cuffs) in a light grey flannel would be one of the next items on my list. Who knows, maybe we could be light grey DB suit twins (fraternal).

Here, I just made an attempt to keep all these discussions separate so let's deport our musins here, they derail the more practical thread and I would say most don't care.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/310030/philsophy-of-mc-style/0_100

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

oh hai. griesvelt, cheers
Oh hai. ******* Schwechat security made me get rid of my duty-free Zweigelt right before I got on the plane last month. My favorite red, too.

Is putting a DB suit in the "'more advanced'" section a subtle attempt at trolling?
Something is wrong when no one gets my "more advanced forum" joke.
Why did you feel the need to point out something completely obvious?
See my original post in this threq. Wait, you can't, hahaha.
Also, sp00 is better dressed than maf00fan,
So, so wrong.
I live for controversy. We thrive on inconsistency, vermin living off the gradient. Also, how does one shut up a barking spaniel?
In any event, I would argue that to be well-dressed, you need both clothes that fit and a sense of style, and some of us have both and some of us don't.
Sure, of course, they should all fit. However, someone could have NO sense of style, but own everything on this list, and wear nothing but, and be better dressed than 90% of the men out there.
Well, that's setting a pretty low ******* bar, isn't it? No snark, totally serious.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
ok, 95%

oh, and I got your joke.

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Talk of Heidegger makes me sad for reasons I explained in this thread but won't repeat in the new one since to be OT once is a tragedy, but twice is careless.

Yeah I saw that, interesting anecdote as he may have been one of the last ancient Heideggerians. Dreyfus did meet him but at a much later date (Heidegger died in '76 I think).

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
now this is taking off like a true StyleForvm threak.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They are awesome. They are a variant on Alden's Leisure Hand Sewn, which Alden makes in both calf and shell. I have a pair in brown calf from Alden and the Brooks Brothers in Shell. Brooks Brothers' shell version is unlined whereas Alden's is lined (I think). I could not find Alden's in shell in a narrow width, which is why I got the BB model but all else being equal, I would prefer it anyway. Like Foo, I have trouble fitting into loafers, especially because I usually need an orthotic but I had these modified so they fit and the orthotic corrections were built in. I have had both pairs resoled, possibly more than once.

i will mull it over. i think i may age 20 years just by putting them on though.

Well, we'll never know what you really said, because you deleted it.

its still here, look a tad harder.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Strauss attended lectures by Heideggar and considered him one of the two most brilliant men of the century.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think I'm in the minority of loafer fans. I even like them with (casual) suits. There are so many awful versions though, that I understand the hate. Chukkas, chelseas or monks are all probably better alternatives for the loafer spot on the List. but, for warm weather, I like loafers.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I never wear my loafers with suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics