If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Aug 1, 2012.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I like Alden cordovan loafers a lot. Classic Americana. But I can't wear them because they don't fit. I don't think I can wear any RTW loafers.

2. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

That's my MO as well.

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

here

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Especially if left unbuckled :)

[​IMG]

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

unfortunately yes...

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

thanks gome, those are really nice, but really not my steez. they should be tho. definitely something to keep in mind.

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

no need to guess, they are, imo. nevertheless, i agree that a well made/shaped loafer is a staple for sure.

8. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

They are awesome. They are a variant on Alden's Leisure Hand Sewn, which Alden makes in both calf and shell. I have a pair in brown calf from Alden and the Brooks Brothers in Shell. Brooks Brothers' shell version is unlined whereas Alden's is lined (I think). I could not find Alden's in shell in a narrow width, which is why I got the BB model but all else being equal, I would prefer it anyway. Like Foo, I have trouble fitting into loafers, especially because I usually need an orthotic but I had these modified so they fit and the orthotic corrections were built in. I have had both pairs resoled, possibly more than once.

9. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

10. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

RJ, glad to have you back after your self-exile to the shadow forum.

However, you are so wrong.

If you take Manton's list literally, yes it is useless and asinine. But come on, why would you take it that way? The fundamental concept is that there are many, many staples of classic men's dress that many, if not most, should think to acquire and use before branching out to the more zany and ridiculous. Keep in mind who the audience is. SF is not populated by members insisting on dressing business casual, or who have very few clothes to pick from. They tend to be the opposite: mass acquirers of oddball items that are neither her nor there--aesthetically, thematically, or contextually. For them, any direction toward a stabilized, more fundamentals-oriented approach is a good thing.

As for DBs, specifically: I agree they are "advanced." As you point out yourself, fit is as important as aesthetic taste (or "style"). A DB suit is incredibly hard to find in classic cloth off-the-rack, and even harder to fit right. For any predictable level of success, you really need to go custom. I think it's fair to say any requirement that one order a bespoke garment be considered "advanced." As you know, it is an expensive, time-consuming process. That, and nobody has ever accused an otherwise well-dressed man for not being well-dressed simply because he doesn't wear DB suits.

11. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

oh hai. griesvelt, cheers

12. NORE

NORE Senior member

My tally

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Moi? Mai non!

The point is, you can be well dressed without it but you can't be extremely well dressed. If all you need are the basics but you want to look correct and good on every occasion then you don't need a DB. If you really want to take it to the next level, though, you do.

Why did you feel the need to point out something completely obvious?

This has all been addressed in the thread.

So, so wrong.

Sure, of course, they should all fit. However, someone could have NO sense of style, but own everything on this list, and wear nothing but, and be better dressed than 90% of the men out there.

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

talking about awesome loafers. these are to die for..., hands down

the loafer is the type of shoe, where you can see the biggest difference from bespoke to RTW, if you can...

15. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Mind you, young padawan, I didn't say Manolo's list was "useless and asinine" -- quite the contrary, I think it's well-chosen but presumes the wearer would actually be in situations he would wear that clothing. Owning this stuff doesn't make you well-dressed if you don't have occasion to wear it.

I may be Patient Zero for acquiring oddball items, they keep me from answering Camus' fundamental question of existence.

The DB "more advanced" comment is an inside (Inner Circle?) joke from before your time. I take no position on whether one needs one to be well-dressed. If I were still ordering suits, an A&S DB made in the old way (SB-size buttons, nonfunctioning cuffs) in a light grey flannel would be one of the next items on my list. Who knows, maybe we could be light grey DB suit twins (fraternal).