• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loafers to a wedding?

sadkfjaskfaj

Reaction score
I have a wedding to attend. Venue is ballroom at upscale hotel. NYC.

I will be wearing a medium gray worsted single breasted suit. Navy grenadine tie.

I want to wear dark brown leather tassel loafers (similar to Alden Color 8 cordovan). However that feels a little bit informal. The other alternative is a black captoe oxford (which is fine, just boring).

Shirt - still can't decide between white poplin and blue/white stripe poplin.

Thoughts on loafers in my situation? Thanks.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If such a sober suit/tie is expected or required, then I’d wear oxfords. If you’re just wearing it by choice and could do something more fun, then go for the loafers.

acconrad

Reaction score
Yeah it’s not about you, so your job is to blend in and be respectful.

Coincidentally, everyone thinks a charcoal/navy suit, white shirt, and black cap toes is boring so no one wears it. Which then makes it unique, especially if executed well.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it’s not about you, so your job is to blend in and be respectful.

Coincidentally, everyone thinks a charcoal/navy suit, white shirt, and black cap toes is boring so no one wears it. Which then makes it unique, especially if executed well.

To be fair, it’s really unlikely that wearing dark loafers is going to cause anyone to stand out.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been to weddings where people wore Victoria secret panty pink dress shirts and black.suits that were I'll fitting. You only stand out if you're well dressed and your suit fits you well.

There are much more terribly dressed ppl than the opposite. Those stand out.

Wearing tassel Loafers are fine.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a wedding to attend. Venue is ballroom at upscale hotel. NYC.

I will be wearing a medium gray worsted single breasted suit. Navy grenadine tie.

I want to wear dark brown leather tassel loafers (similar to Alden Color 8 cordovan). However that feels a little bit informal. The other alternative is a black captoe oxford (which is fine, just boring).

Shirt - still can't decide between white poplin and blue/white stripe poplin.

Thoughts on loafers in my situation? Thanks.

Charcoal Suit
White Poplin Shirt
Silver/Grey Wedding tie(Houndstooth, Sheppards check, Glen Plaid)
Black Oxfords

Done!!!

Very elegant and appropriate

Save the Color 8 loafers for an outdoor/garden wedding where they will be completely appropriate if the dress code isn't formal nor semi-formal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads