I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. bcx

bcx Senior member

More neutral, grey-er I suppose. They're APCs dry-cleaned once if that matters. LA Guy talks about something similar here http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...&postcount=252 that I wouldn't mind trying but would like more details about the process of dyeing.

2. Arms_Akimbo

Arms_Akimbo Senior member

Yeah, sounds like you want a greycast. I would dilute some fabric dye like rit and give it a shot. Could definitely look cool and APCs would be a good jean to try it on.

edit: cool, I didn't read your link and that's what RGB and fok were talking about. May do this myself at some point.

3. Stokejeans

Stokejeans New Member

Hi all. Quick question.
    As I was getting off a train today, I saw a bloke wearing some jeans that I really liked.
    I couldn't really hold the queue up while I asked him where they were from, or I would have asked him.
    I've searched loads of websites but can't find them.
    So this forum is my last resort :)

They were not like any I've everseen before.
    They had full length vertical panels, each about 2 inches (5 centimetres) wide.
    At least 2 of the panels were a vintage wash denim, and the central panel, down the front, was brown corduroy, and the panels were sewn together with zig zag stitching.
    I know its a massive long shot, but does anyone have the remotest idea what i'm talking about ?
    If not, I might have to keep catching the same train until I find him - which could cost a fortune !

4. Flight Bird

Flight Bird Senior member

Ok so my skinny jeans are a pair of 28W (I'm skinny) Good Society Indigo wash jeans. I'm very happy with them, esspecially because I got them for 40% off ($60). What would be the difference between black Nudie or Acne jeans and mine?

5. tampwn

tampwn Member

Hi, i know its kinda shady just having this as my first post and all, but i promise to contribute later!!
    idk too much about jeans, but i have a pair of apc petit standards and im pretty happy with them. im looking to find another pair of jeans with a similar fit or maybe with a fit like the nudie thin finns. Any price under $300 should be fine.

Thanks in advance!

6. Proskaterpark

Proskaterpark New Member

7. tampwn

tampwn Member

Nudies Thinn Finn's.
    Just copped a pair last week, and I think the fit is really nice.
    Not too pricey as well.

im actually looking for something other than thin finns, but with a similar fit. Alot of people at my school have them for some reason =/

8. connor

connor Senior member

9. KBW

KBW Senior member

Looking for black jeans (don't want black stitching or anything that is crazy skinny). Low rise to medium rise sub $300

Also looking for grey jeans sub $300. I was looking at grey W+H but I'm not sure I like the color by what I see online

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

10. turbozed

turbozed Senior member

What's everyone's opinions here on the best 1947 repro pair of jeans? Sugar Cane 1947 or LVC 1947? I'm ready to pull trigger so if you can weigh in and provide reasons I'd appreciate it.

11. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Ok so my skinny jeans are a pair of 28W (I'm skinny) Good Society Indigo wash jeans. I'm very happy with them, esspecially because I got them for 40% off ($60). What would be the difference between black Nudie or Acne jeans and mine?
    Depends on the Nudie model. Acne's denim is no big deal but they do have several good cuts like the Max.
    Looking for black jeans (don't want black stitching or anything that is crazy skinny). Low rise to medium rise sub $300

Also looking for grey jeans sub $300. I was looking at grey W+H but I'm not sure I like the color by what I see online

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Do you have a general idea of what kind of fit you want? For sub $300, you might want to look into Spurr:
    - http://www.shopfarinellis.com/pa-638...raw-black.aspx
    - http://www.shopfarinellis.com/pa-639...g-in-grey.aspx

Rag & Bone used to make some killer black overdyes (rb9) but I haven't seen them in a few seasons. They're one of my favorite jeans.

Another good black overdye would be KZO although they are a bit skinny: http://www.blackbirdballard.com/KZO_...ack_12098.html

What's everyone's opinions here on the best 1947 repro pair of jeans[/size]?
    Because the denim is different, as well as some of the details if I'm not mistaken, it's apples and oranges. Some argue that the SC 47 is truer to the original while some prefer the fit and use of Cone on the LVC.

12. dron10

dron10 Active Member

I've had my RRLs for a month now and the creasing is really soft, I'm worried that the fades aren't going to have very noticeable contrast. I want to starch them but I'm not sure what method I should follow. Should I flip them inside out or just spray the starch on the outside?

13. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I've had my RRLs for a month now and the creasing is really soft, I'm worried that the fades aren't going to have very noticeable contrast. I want to starch them but I'm not sure what method I should follow. Should I flip them inside out or just spray the starch on the outside?
    What do you mean by the creasing is really soft? Do you mean that creases have not formed? It usually takes a couple of weeks (give or take) of daily wear to break in jeans. Give them time and harder wear. Starches require either washing or ironing, neither of which I'd recommend at this point.

14. Cheweh

Cheweh Well-Known Member

I bought some raw selvage denim from the gap last year on sale for a pretty good price ($30). the color and the construction seem nice, the fit is a bit too loose for my liking.

is it advisable to take it to a tailor to get the legs slimmed down?

15. bcx

bcx Senior member

Yeah, sounds like you want a greycast. I would dilute some fabric dye like rit and give it a shot. Could definitely look cool and APCs would be a good jean to try it on.

edit: cool, I didn't read your link and that's what RGB and fok were talking about. May do this myself at some point.

Do I just need the dye or do I have to deal with all this stuff with sodium sulphate and sodium carbonate?

Also, does anyone have measurements for those black Spurrs on Farinelli's? Alternatively, do Spurr Boot Rigids or Nudie Regular Alfs come in black/grey?