I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, Jan 28, 2008.

1. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Do I just need the dye or do I have to deal with all this stuff with sodium sulphate and sodium carbonate?

Also, does anyone have measurements for those black Spurrs on Farinelli's? Alternatively, do Spurr Boot Rigids or Nudie Regular Alfs come in black/grey?

I heard that you could just RIT dye it for a couple of minutes and you'd be fine.

With the measurements, why not just email Farinelli's?

2. KBW

KBW Senior member

Do you have a general idea of what kind of fit you want? For sub $300, you might want to look into Spurr:
    - http://www.shopfarinellis.com/pa-638...raw-black.aspx
    - http://www.shopfarinellis.com/pa-639...g-in-grey.aspx

Rag & Bone used to make some killer black overdyes (rb9) but I haven't seen them in a few seasons. They're one of my favorite jeans.

Something along the lines of an Rb11 fit preferably with an equal or lower rise would be ideal (jeans with a lot of rise look horrible on me for whatever reason). I'm wearing indigo rb11's today for the first time and like them a good bit. Price really isn't that big of a deal...if they are more than $300 but definitely better than the sub $300 then I'd go that route as well. I've spent a lot of money on sweaters and outerwear this season and wanting to buy a pair or two of Mauro's chinos when they come out. Other than the Alden x Winn Perrys and these Jeans I'm probably done for the year with purchases.

3. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

I bought some raw selvage denim from the gap last year on sale for a pretty good price ($30). the color and the construction seem nice, the fit is a bit too loose for my liking.

is it advisable to take it to a tailor to get the legs slimmed down?

A tailor will take them in on the outside (selvage) seam. It's a simple process that a tailor with denim experience will know well (just did this myself last week). I'm paying about 25.

Expect your selvage 'band' width to increase in width with the taper. I tapered off about an inch in circumference starting from 0" at the lower thigh to 1" at the hem, and this added an inch to the selvage band at the cuff.

Do I just need the dye or do I have to deal with all this stuff with sodium sulphate and sodium carbonate?

I haven't tried dyeing jeans, but Arms is right - those sound like a good project.

Don't use RIT on those. Period. Cheap, inconsistent and barely colorfast and needs boiling water to set the dye. You need a fiber reactive dye for cool-water dyeing with Sodium Carbonate added to the water to set it. I've tried both RIT and Procion fiber-reactive dye and I now realize why all my attempts with RIT always sucked, no matter how much dye I used.

I had a good experience with Blick, via mail order:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/pr...old-water-dye/

This is a worthy article on the process (easier than it seems):

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/howtodye.shtml

4. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Hi, i know its kinda shady just having this as my first post and all, but i promise to contribute later!!
    idk too much about jeans, but i have a pair of apc petit standards and im pretty happy with them. im looking to find another pair of jeans with a similar fit or maybe with a fit like the nudie thin finns. Any price under $300 should be fine.

Thanks in advance!

me too

Skull 5010 gets a lot of respect here, and is a fit like the PS.

5. whodini

Don't use RIT on those. Period. Cheap, inconsistent and barely colorfast and needs boiling water to set the dye. You need a fiber reactive dye for cool-water dyeing with Sodium Carbonate added to the water to set it. I've tried both RIT and Procion fiber-reactive dye and I now realize why all my attempts with RIT always sucked, no matter how much dye I used.
    Not that I doubt your personal experience but the suggestion to use RIT came from a pretty reliable source.

6. bcx

bcx Senior member

7. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Not that I doubt your personal experience but the suggestion to use RIT came from a pretty reliable source.

If he wants a really saturated color/overdye, RITs questionable. For a 'tint' RIT's pretty good stuff

If for some reason RIT dye isn't sufficient then this place (http://www.gsdye.com/Canada/product_info_list.html) is near me but they have a lot of selection. I suppose I'd want the Procion 'MX' dye?

That's the one. You can also try a brand called 'Dylon'. Both are professional grade, and cheap.

8. whodini

If he wants a really saturated color/overdye, RITs questionable. For a 'tint' RIT's pretty good stuff
    Yeah, that was the point in the original link and conversation. LA Guy wanted to give his jeans a greycast, not an overdye.

9. hhenryhhh

hhenryhhh Senior member

I really hate to be that guy but...

I've been eying the KZO Central Denim Pants (in indigo) for awhile now. I was wondering, should I buy them true to size? I'm looking for something that's slim and fitted and slouchy.

10. whodini

I really hate to be that guy but... I've been eying the KZO Central Denim Pants (in indigo) for awhile now. I was wondering, should I buy them true to size? I'm looking for something that's slim and fitted and slouchy.
    I went with my usual size and found them to be a bit too skinny for my taste. They've stretched out a bit but I think I would have been happier a size up. I've seen people with skinny legs really rock them well, however.

11. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

Question about Levi.com website... If the color on a pair of jeans shows a red stripe, does that indicate selvedge? It's not entirely consistent... some pairs show the stripe and indicate selvedge under the color description while some don't. edit: OK, nm... so when you select the size, a red line appears underneath the picture of the color to indicate what color is selected. Usually there's only one color anyway so it looks like a selvedge stripe.

12. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

^[​IMG]

13. mlyngard

mlyngard Senior member

Yeah, that was the point in the original link and conversation. LA Guy wanted to give his jeans a greycast, not an overdye.

Understood. It's worth keeping in mind though that RIT is an arts and crafts dye, not a true garment dye (although it's often mistaken for such).

Arts and crafts dyes are white bread, and will never be color-fast for anything that requires laundering/washing or wearing in the sun. It's for doilies and kerchiefs.

A true garment dye is still better, even for tinting, and can be portioned or mixed for a less saturated color. Longevity is probably important.

14. bcx

bcx Senior member

So what colour dye should I be using to grey up my blue blue jeans? Beige was suggested but it looks like the closest thing G&S Dye has is Chino. Or maybe Grey? Or a mix? [​IMG]

15. the_pole

the_pole Senior member

does anyone know the inseam of APC PS ?