• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I can't stop sweating

blackgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bananimus
Perhaps you may want to check out Certain Dri.

http://www.certaindri.com/

+1000
I had the same problem when I was younger. I bought certain dri as recommended by my doctor and it worked great. As I got older I found I didn't have to use it anymore...not sure why but it worked great when I needed it. I have seen certain dri at sold at Walgreens and other type drug stores.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aluminium hydrochloride is the active ingredient in pretty much all anti-perspirants. It works, as I understand it, by blocking the pores/sweat glands. Something to be aware of is that it can also turn the armpits of your shirts yellow. I don't use anti-perspirant, only a deodorant, as (even leaving the possibility of Alzheimer's disease aside) I don't like the idea of blocking my skin with minute fragments of metal, nor do I want to turn my shirts yellow.

graf

Reaction score
although this prob won't help the original poster, i'd like to point out that after throwing away piles and piles of undershirts with yellow armpits, adidas came out with an anti perspirant/deoderant that uses cotton somehow instead of aluminum, and since i switched to it, no more yellow pits. it is fantastic. i buy it at walgreens. they don't seem to carry it at any of the grocery stores i shop at.

frugle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knugget
From my biology teacher, I would reccomend against the use of aluminum based materials (deodorants, anti-perspirant, and so on). He's read a great deal of articles that show a direct correlation between aluminum and Alzheimer's. Aside from that, how's your physical condition? I always believed that my sweat was from my horrible condition. During cross country season, I hardly sweat, but after the season ended, I begin to sweat once in a while. If the other advice people have given you doesn't work, try running.
That is true, the correlation between aluminum and Alzheimer's has been around for a while, but there hasn't been any significant evidence as of yet as to how much aluminum you actually absorb from deodorant, or whether it is actually any significant amount or not. I'm 6'4" and 167lbs.... I try to cycle about 100 miles a week.... I am not in perfect condition.... but I don't think i'm in bad condition.
Originally Posted by blackgrass
+1000 I had the same problem when I was younger. I bought certain dri as recommended by my doctor and it worked great. As I got older I found I didn't have to use it anymore...not sure why but it worked great when I needed it. I have seen certain dri at sold at Walgreens and other type drug stores.
I tried it.....doesn't work for me.... it just made the sweat kind of goey.....weird.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered talking to your doctor and perhaps getting a prescription for an antiperspirant stronger than OTC brands?

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frugle
I tried it.....doesn't work for me.... it just made the sweat kind of goey.....weird.

Make sure you're using Certain-Dri and not the AM refresher; they're not the same thing. Also, it doesn't start working instantly. It may take a week or so before all the sweat glands close off.

mike22

Reaction score
Go see your doctor and get a prescription for Drysol, it has really made my life a hell of a lot easier. - Mike

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackgrass
+1000
I had the same problem when I was younger. I bought certain dri as recommended by my doctor and it worked great. As I got older I found I didn't have to use it anymore...not sure why but it worked great when I needed it. I have seen certain dri at sold at Walgreens and other type drug stores.

I was going to post this as well. Great stuff.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listen to this one, its the only one that helped me, and it was as easy as switching to a different KIND Of deoderant...

addidas makes an anti perspirant deoderant that doesnt use aluminum, it is a new type of deoderant, and it works immpeccibly, it will change your life.

300.jpg

Just try it, it will really help you...
I suggest this to everyone who hasn't tried it, and has a sweating problem

I find them in my local CVS.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious, but are you sweating like crazy while you just sit around watching TV by yourself?

Or is it when you are in "nervous situations"? Like in public or around other people.

If it's the latter, then treating yourself for a physical problem isn't really going to do you any good. Perhaps you have a slight case of agoraphobia.

I had a roomate my freshman year of college that had the same exact problem you do. Before you have surgery, maybe see therapist for social anxiety.

kakemono

Reaction score
I have hyperhydrosis... but... it is on my hands where I sweat. It is to the point where, when at church, I have to keep my hand on my pant-leg so when shaking someones hand, my hand is dry. It is really embarassing shaking someone's hand with a wet hand... but just as 'wierd' is when someone holds thier hand out to you, you wipe down your hand.

I have looked into the surgery, but... the side-effects can be terrible.

Mr T

Reaction score
I have also had a sweating problem for most of my life.

I used to fold up paper towels under my arms inside my shirts for important situations like job interviews. It worked of course but I couldn't really move my arms much.
I am not talking small pit stains...I used to sweat all the way down to my belt. Very gross.

After years of yellow pitted t shirts and trying every AP I made the mistake of buying plain deoderant...no plugged pores and no alum. The next day I was dry like never before. Can one sweat more using AP? My experience is yes. That was several years ago and I haven't used AP since and never sweat through my shirt now.

rajesh06

Reaction score
I have never been a big sweater - but recently I started using Gillette clinical strength. Its a bit different in that you have to put it on at night - but it really plugs the pores. In fact - I work out in the morning and dont sweat at all and My underarms still smell like deodorant after I shower.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads