• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I-banking interview suit suggestions?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RLPL Junkie
ah, my apologies.... I went to a caribbean med school straight after high school, thinking it would be the fastest way to become a doctor (again, at 16 yo, i was in a rush). Therefore I would probably not have gotten into a top 10 b-school coming from a caribbean med school even though I had a 3.93 and a 245/99 on my usmle. As for top 10 b-school: this transition from a recession proof job (medicine) to a career with little stability would only be worth it only if I was able to enter one of the top banks... getting there from a podunk b-school would not be as likely to happen. That said, I also wanted to experience college like a normal person usually does.
As it stands today, I have never been happier in my life. I am living my bliss everyday!

yeah, i was thinking about this. Getting to go to college at 22, that would rock. I hope you are taking advantage of everything, partying it up, the ladies, etc.

I miss college. Sigh.

RLPL Junkie

Reaction score
lmao, got married last year so it's not about the bunnies but def having fun with new friends. it's mostly about being present in the moment. participating in in student council, clubs, and team sports. It's a dream come true! This is gonna be the best yr of my life!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ah, my apologies.... I went to a caribbean med school straight after high school, thinking it would be the fastest way to become a doctor (again, at 16 yo, i was in a rush). Therefore I would probably not have gotten into a top 10 b-school coming from a caribbean med school even though I had a 3.93 and a 245/99 on my usmle. As for top 10 b-school: this transition from a recession proof job (medicine) to a career with little stability would only be worth it only if I was able to enter one of the top banks... getting there from a podunk b-school would not be as likely to happen. That said, I also wanted to experience college like a normal person usually does.
As it stands today, I have never been happier in my life. I am living my bliss everyday!

What kind of orthopedic residency (and where?) would you be competitive enough to match after attending a Caribbean medical school that accepted you without a bachelor's degree?

I'm very intrigued!

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you match Ortho at a US program?

SVS

Reaction score
Are you looking top tier or a boutique firm? East or west coast? The fashion is deferent for each.

Never mind, it doesn't really matter. These guys dress poorly and have huge egos. Don't dress better than them. Seriously, don't do it. I work with investors (aka I-bankers) all day,every day. When I meet with them, I dress respectfully and never better than they do. I've also only worn at tie to one meeting in the last year. (I don't even wear a tie to pitch.) These guys are generally causal.

Also, none of the interns I've known have made enough in a summer to pay for a high-end suit. (These guys get screwed.)

Just get a decent, inexpensive, conservative looking suit. Almost no one will wear a tie and very few people will wear a jacket.

haithman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SVS
Are you looking top tier or a boutique firm? East or west coast? The fashion is deferent for each.

Never mind, it doesn't really matter. These guys dress poorly and have huge egos. Don't dress better than them. Seriously, don't do it. I work with investors (aka I-bankers) all day,every day. When I meet with them, I dress respectfully and never better than they do. I've also only worn at tie to one meeting in the last year. (I don't even wear a tie to pitch.) These guys are generally causal.

Also, none of the interns I've known have made enough in a summer to pay for a high-end suit. (These guys get screwed.)

Just get a decent, inexpensive, conservative looking suit. Almost no one will wear a tie and very few people will wear a jacket.

Ibankers are not "investors"

TalibKweli

Reaction score
I just kept it simple at my interview. Navy Zegna suit with subtle pinstripes, starched white HSM point collar dress shirt, silk tie in black and blue regent pattern, and black Allen Edmond Park Avenues. Topped it off with a run of the mill Seiko dress watch. Now the interview itself was another world. Let's just say finding how many iPods were sold in New York City or walking your interviewer through a DCF model isn't fun with two associates and one VP staring at you cold in the face
laugh.gif

jerseydevil

Reaction score
I recently completed a summer internship at an investment bank and will be soon joining a top-tier "boutique". Looking back, I had one suit for interviews (think cheap suit from Macy's). I may have not gotten any complements on my dress, but I did get great reviews on my work and that's all that matters. You want to be remembered for the quality of your work, not the way you dressed.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mouths & anuses?

Originally Posted by Dan G
If you want to get into an M&A shop that will do in a deal this decade, you should get a job with the FDIC.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads