Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I-banking interview suit suggestions?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RLPL Junkie, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

ThinkDerm!!!! You and I are polar opposites.... I just graduated from med school! Crazy! I matched ortho... but in the end my heart was not in it.

cool man. rough times for medicine and banking.

ortho is cool - seriously, but your heart has to be in medicine to do it.

is your heart in banking? I did it, liked it, was good at it, but felt like I was just there to make rich people richer - not my thing.

Did you do any of the ortho residency? did you do intern year? drop residency during/before/after intern year?

2. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Wow they are still hiring for those postions?

I would if I were in your shoes wear a dark charcoal two button suit, white dress shirt a rep tie (blue is a safe bet)and a pair of well polished black brogues.

3. canvas01

canvas01 Senior member

ThinkDerm!!!! You and I are polar opposites.... I just graduated from med school! Crazy! I matched ortho... but in the end my heart was not in it.

Sorry to jump off topic, but I am curious how you plan to go about convincing banks that I-banking is what you really want to do, especially when medicine is quite different? I am asking because I may be faced with the need to change career paths and am pessimistic about my ability to do so w/out relevant work experience.

4. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

What do you do now, and what are you looking to do?

5. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

So, you spent 4 years in medical school, passed your boards and was competitive enough to get an orthopedic surgery residency - but you then decided your heart was not in it?[​IMG]

6. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Med Students are competitive for finance/corporate jobs when there are a number of students from top MBA programs having difficulty getting these sort of jobs? Curious. Doesn't this send the signal that you don't know what it is you actually want to do with your life? Four or five years prior you were convincing med school interviewers that helping people is what you were born to do, or whatever schpiel most med students give during interviews.

7. Captain.Kia

Captain.Kia Well-Known Member

Med Students are competitive for finance/corporate jobs when there are a number of students from top MBA programs having difficulty getting these sort of jobs? Curious. Doesn't this send the signal that you don't know what it is you actually want to do with your life? Four or five years prior you were convincing med school interviewers that helping people is what you were born to do, or whatever schpiel most med students give during interviews.

We all know thats B.S. [​IMG]

8. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

We all know thats B.S. [​IMG]

first of all, med school can be a stepping stone to other things. If I had not gotten into dermatology, I most likely would have gone (back) to business. Secondly, if you can take the punishment associated with med school, you can do banking, EASY. Furthermore, the medical degree can help with bio-medical field related assessments.

Most people in medical school DO want to help people. I for sure did, and still do. Is it our fault that the medical system - from training onward has major flaws and is getting worse? and then will be further "fixed" just completely making it even worse? Is it fair that every year doctors work more hours and make less money? You can love helping people, but is it right to take a huge financial hit in your wallet for doing so?

9. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Senior member

first of all, med school can be a stepping stone to other things. If I had not gotten into dermatology, I most likely would have gone (back) to business. Secondly, if you can take the punishment associated with med school, you can do banking, EASY. Furthermore, the medical degree can help with bio-medical field related assessments.

Most people in medical school DO want to help people. I for sure did, and still do. Is it our fault that the medical system - from training onward has major flaws and is getting worse? and then will be further "fixed" just completely making it even worse? Is it fair that every year doctors work more hours and make less money? You can love helping people, but is it right to take a huge financial hit in your wallet for doing so?

Is this how you justify to investment banks that you no longer wish to pursue medicine as a career? That you're doing it for the money?

Not judging, just interested in hearing what storyline opens doors.

10. RLPL Junkie

RLPL Junkie Senior member

Right on ThinkDerm.
    teddieriley... you are absurd.
    Bottom line... I graduated high school when I was 15, got into med school straight out of high school, hated it by year start of clinicals but felt I owed it to my family (cultural thing) and older brother who passed away whose dream it was to be a physician.... so I finished the degree, told my family and suffered the temporary role as the outcast (don't look much better now that the financial world is in collapse,lol.) I found myself reading WSJ when I should have been reading NEJM, watching CNBC rather than the health channel, and (i'll be honest) annoyed by the hours in to dollars out of a medical career. I am currently a sophomore at an ivy league school, pursuing my first bachelors (econ and math), and looking to find internships. So this is why I need suit advice.

Still need advice pls.... can you fellas tell me some designers that would work? so far all i have heard is brooks borthers.

11. kfan

kfan Active Member

What kind of med school accepts a fifteen year old out of high school? Was this one of the 6 - 8 year med programs? Good lord, how can they expect a fifteen year old to know what he wants to do for the rest of his life?

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Re: switching from Medicine to the City and vice versa.

Actually a not uncommon move in either direction. I can reel off a not particularly short list of colleagues who either started in the City or have thought about moving back there.

The basic skill set is remarkably similar in many regards - willingness to work long hours in the early years; do a lot of menial/repetitive tasks; respect an often arbitrary hierarchy full of unwritten rules; be good at reading up & assimilating a lot of information quickly; be able to take calculated risks & make judgement calls in tricky or no-win situations; be able to schmooze well as you move up the ranks.

The difference is just the subject matter and personal preference. If you can do well in one, you can do well in the other, on a technical level. Whether you have the ability to enjoy and excel in one or the other, though, depends on personality and particular aptitude. But I can definitely understand the move, in either direction.

13. rbny

rbny Senior member

Since you're looking for a interview suit, I would recommend Brooks Brothers and their "BrooksEase" line that sells jackets and trousers separately. They don't cost that much and the money should be spent on tailoring and shoes.

Good luck with your career decisions.

14. Frogger42

Frogger42 Well-Known Member

Sorry to jump off topic, but I am curious how you plan to go about convincing banks that I-banking is what you really want to do, especially when medicine is quite different? I am asking because I may be faced with the need to change career paths and am pessimistic about my ability to do so w/out relevant work experience.
    Ever hear of Healthcare investment banking? When I rotated through the healthcare group there were actually many MDs(medical doctors)

15. RLPL Junkie

RLPL Junkie Senior member

Exactly! I met a few MD's in the UBS IB group... the non-MD's in that same group told me the MD's run the show... pretty big statement considering guys in IB rarely concede anything (jk!)