• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many meters did you row/erg today?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
Yea its kind of interesting. I've heard good things about the water rower thingy too, I guess its smoother machine. Its been endorsed by former olympians etc...
I've rowed on one, and they really do feel smooth. But their computers don't allow as complicated of workouts or provide as much data as those of C2's, IIRC. More importantly, since there's nothing to crash into if you rush your slide, you don't really get any feedback about how well you're controlling the recovery. And aesthetically, the WaterRower just doesn't seem like something I'd want to fight against, bleed on, puke on. Anyway, today was: 1000m @ 1:47 900m @1:51 800m @ 1:49 700m @ 1:49 600m @1:48 500m @1:50 400m @ 1:51 (I wasted ~7 seconds getting off the erg to puke mucus into a trashcan, then hit the last 170m at a 1:33) 300m @ 1:41 200m @ 1:39 100m @ 1:37 ~1500m with no straps: just arms->just arms @ back->half slide->full slide @ 2:05 250m @ 1:38 250m @ 1:47 (forgot to strap myself back in,
ffffuuuu.gif
) 500m @ 1:41

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sprint work.
6 mins. bike
5 mins. erg warmup

7x(1 min. on, 1 min. off), 5 min. rest between sets:
1st set avg.: 1:45.3
2nd set avg.: 1:45.8
3rd set avg: 1:45.7

(5965 hard meters + 2500 of warmup and paddling during active rest)

Stretch
10 mins. core circuit

Done.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Sprint work.
6 mins. bike
5 mins. erg warmup

7x(1 min. on, 1 min. off), 5 min. rest between sets:
1st set avg.: 1:45.3
2nd set avg.: 1:45.8
3rd set avg: 1:45.7

(5965 hard meters + 2500 of warmup and paddling during active rest)

Stretch
10 mins. core circuit

Done.

Good luck with tryouts. **** even thinking about seat racing is getting me pumped as I type.

Where are you rowing if you don't mind me asking?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks much. I'm rowing for New Trier High School, outside of Chicago. I'm a novice this season, but it's pretty amazing to get to train with our varsity crews over the offseason. The M8+ has finished 4th & 2nd at Head of the Charles and 4th & 3rd at SRAA Nationals the past 2 years. The W8+ has won SRAA Nationals 3 years in a row. One of the varsity men pulls a 6:12 and is headed to USRowing selection camps this summer. It's pretty awe-inspiring.

You still row competitively, right?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks much. I'm rowing for New Trier High School, outside of Chicago. I'm a novice this season, but it's pretty amazing to get to train with our varsity crews over the offseason. The M8+ has finished 4th & 2nd at Head of the Charles and 4th & 3rd at SRAA Nationals the past 2 years. The W8+ has won SRAA Nationals 3 years in a row. One of the varsity men pulls a 6:12 and is headed to USRowing selection camps this summer. It's pretty awe-inspiring.

You still row competitively, right?

Very cool. You keep the rowing up and it'll really leverage your ability to get into an Ivy, if thats the road you want. I'm on West Coast so it isn't quite as noticeable out here, but the 'fraternity of rowers' can go a long way in life ... As in having "collegiate rower" at the bottom of a resume can be an impressive compensating factor.

Myself, I haven't rowed competitively for about 3 years
frown.gif
Every once in a while I get back on erg and start training to compete (Once you're competitive you'll never want to not pull hard) but then it falls off. I fear I'll never get on the water again
frown.gif
but one of these days I'll buy a C2.

Tarzan

Reaction score
Hey just did a high score today
bounce2.gif

First did a 3 minute warmup at level 12 out of 15.

Then went for 6500m at level 13 in 12 minutes. At my usual rate of 500m per minute, I wasn't going to make it, so for some minutes I went up to 28-29 strokes per minute and just made it. The machine said I burnt 165 calories in these 12 minutes.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rich_202
How accurate are the calorie counters on the C2? To the best of my knowledge, the machine doesn't have a menu to enter your body's specs (height, weight, age) like many treadmills.

Because with rowing these do not matter as much (the body's weight is not a resisting force as it is with running). The formula used by the C2 computer is (I believe) a 21 year-old 170lb. man. Adding a decade or 30lbs. or so to that won't change much, since it's really using the wattage input from the rower to calculate energy requirements.

If you're concerned with counting every last calorie, the Concept2 website has a full calculator.

Tarzan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rich_202
How accurate are the calorie counters on the C2? To the best of my knowledge, the machine doesn't have a menu to enter your body's specs (height, weight, age) like many treadmills.

I have mentioned in this thread that unfortunately the gym has no Concept2 rowers, of course you didn't know that. The only rower they have is a Liferower, a "thing" from the 80s that looks like an arcade game, when I did the high score, it had me enter initials
nod[1].gif
When I am doing 3 minute sets at level 12 out of 15 at about 25-27 strokes per minute, it gives me about 40-45 calories burnt. I don't know if this is accurate, I am 6'3" about 180lbs, age 31.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're actually pulling 500m per minute, you should try out for your national team.

And rjmaiorano, thanks for the support. It really means a lot.

Anyway, day 1 of tryouts (5 to go):

Weigh in @ 6'1.5", 177 lbs.

20 mins stairs at high intensity
5 mins stairs, jogging backwards, low intensity

300 situps
200 jumpees
100 pushups

500m @ 1:38
500m @ 1:43
500m @ 1:45
500m @ 1:46

avery

Reaction score
If you're actually pulling 500m per minute, you should try out for your national team.

300 situps
200 jumpees
100 pushups

****, weren't you like 155 pounds when you first started posting on here? how much of a difference has the extra weight made in terms of clothes?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by avery
****, weren't you like 155 pounds when you first started posting on here? how much of a difference has the extra weight made in terms of clothes?

Yup. I put on most of the weight in the shoulders, back, ass, and legs; and also grew an inch and increased bone density. My shirts were a little baggy before and now fit well, if a little tight. I've gone from skinny to slim pants, which also still fit well, but on the tight side. My racing weight will be under 170, and I'm sure I'll naturally lose some weight from crew practice, so all the clothes should end up ok.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wmmk's the man
fing02[1].gif

My finger is slowly, slowly healing...but by the time it fully heals I'll probably be spending spring and summer on the track.
decisions.gif

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

300 situps
200 jumpees
100 pushups

Again, very cool. When I was at my peak I was 6'2" 175lb very similar to you. And my first tryout was much the same. It was pretty much a test of physical ability. After a 3 mile warm up our coach gave us a mile at race pace, then 60 seconds to do as many pushups as possible, then 60 seconds for max situps, then max burpees, then pull ups to max. Maybe 2 mins rest between. It was a **** show

When I came on in college I was lucky to be invited to tryout with no HS experience. I made my name in tryouts by not giving a damn that everyone else was a rower already. The underdog mentality was a ridiculous fuel. If you appreciated my support already, know this, the mental fortitude I gained from rowing (both by myself and with a team) is one of the greatest strengths I've ever gained. It never gets easier, you only go faster
smile.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
~1k warmup @ ~1:55 split 5min @ 1:47 split 4min @ 1:48 3min @ 1:51 2min @ 1:46 1min @ 1:43 15 mins. elliptical 20 mins. core/conditioning circuit for max reps, all lifts at rowing pace: Squat 45lbs., Boxer situps, Wallsits, "Alphabet" (lay on ground, draw abc's with feet), Bent row 45lbs., Burpees, Deadlift 95 lbs., Russians, Line jumps, Kettlebell swings 25lbs., Lunges 45 lbs., Climber, Pushups, Sculler
Much improvement here. Good work!

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarzan
Hey just did a high score today
bounce2.gif

First did a 3 minute warmup at level 12 out of 15.

Then went for 6500m at level 13 in 12 minutes. At my usual rate of 500m per minute, I wasn't going to make it, so for some minutes I went up to 28-29 strokes per minute and just made it. The machine said I burnt 165 calories in these 12 minutes.

The machine may be slightly off here
laugh.gif

Nobody, and I do mean nobody can row 6500 m on a 1 min split. I wonder if many, if any can do 500m on a 1 min split. You may still be in excellent condition, but I'd try a different machine to be sure.

Edit: See this youtube video:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads