How many meters did you row/erg today?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by wmmk, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Tarzan

Tarzan Senior member

HA! Someone dared to do a high score and enter his initials on my machine. Well, on behalf of all SF rowing members, I taught him a lesson today[​IMG] After a 3-minute warmup, I went for a 15-minute ride for the first time. I began at 26-27 strokes per minute, raised for some time to 28, and judging from my 12-minute score last time, I thought it would be relatively easy. BUT[​IMG] My math wasn't very good. As I finished the first half ( 7.5 minutes ) I realised that at that speed I would only tie the high score and to beat it I needed to significantly raise speed because the machine counts only 250m increments. [​IMG] I raised for a bit to 29 strokes and later at 30 but I calculated that I wouldn't do it. For a moment I said ok I can do it with ease next time when I have a better speed from the beginning... And then I thought "What's it worth if I do it easily? It will be more fun if I try to do it under pressure". With 4 minutes to go I raised to 31 strokes/m then at 32 and continued this way until I finished the race at 36 strokes/minute. And yes I just made it. It reminded the good old days during the 80's when I was doing high scores at the arcade games. Yes the resistance of the machine isn't very good even at level 13 out of 15, I didn't feel my legs doing a lot of work, and in the end I had to pull the straps a lot with my feet to get back at the starting position faster. By the way my gym has big rows of treadmills, ellipticals and bicycles and they just brought 3 new treadmills and filled a new room with bicycles for a spinning class[​IMG] And they have just one stupid rowing machine that's more than 20 years old. How do I tell them to get a serious machine like Concept2?

2. why

why Senior member

How do I tell them to get a serious machine like Concept2?

Just tell them. See if others would like one and have them ask for one as well.

3. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

6 x 5 min. feet unstrapped for the 1st five pieces, strapped in for the last one. Floated around 1:52.5 for the 1st 5 pieces, 1:49 on the 6th. It seems I have decent power, but rubbish technique. I over-compress at the catch and my shoulders are too tight throughout the stroke. I also do a bad job of keeping my head steady. Then 300 situps, 200 jumpees, 100 pushups, as 10x(30/20/10) and 8:30 of wall sits. To Pennglock, I pull with the resistance between 3 and 4, because that simulates the resistance of real water (in an eight) best. Apparently 5 or 6 feels more like sculling in a single. And amnesiac, I'm visiting campus on March 30. Not yet sure how much of the day I'm spending there.

4. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

To Pennglock, I pull with the resistance between 3 and 4, because that simulates the resistance of real water (in an eight) best. Apparently 5 or 6 feels more like sculling in a single.

Our team told us 5 and 6 feels like a mens heavyweight eight, and we rowed most of our pieces at that.

Keep up the good work wmmk... rowing unstrapped sucks.

5. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Interesting. Perhaps they have us pulling at such a low resistance because our erg room has such bad ventilation. It also might be an issue with newer vs. older ergs. We're using Model D's; what did you row on in college?

6. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

Our team told us 5 and 6 feels like a mens heavyweight eight, and we rowed most of our pieces at that.

Keep up the good work wmmk... rowing unstrapped sucks.

This is what I've always been told. I believe the C2 website mentions that 5 is roughly water resistance.

As Why has mentioned though, drag does come in to play and is something my coaches never mentioned to me.

7. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

4 mile run
    Rigged an ooooooooooooold Vespoli 8+ shell we use as a clunker

Can't get on the water until I take a swim test and watch a safety video on the 20th, which means I'm spending my next 6 practices erging. I'll try to a lot of feet-out and really one in on technique.

8. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

4 mile run

Can't get on the water until I take a swim test and watch a safety video on the 20th, which means I'm spending my next 6 practices erging. I'll try to a lot of feet-out and really one in on technique.

[​IMG]

9. amnesiac

amnesiac Senior member

4 mile run

I wonder if they show the same US Rowing safety video we watched where the guy gets ejected from the boat after catching a crab.

10. rjmaiorano

rjmaiorano Senior member

I wonder if they show the same US Rowing safety video we watched where the guy gets ejected from the boat after catching a crab.

2 guys actually failed our swim test.

11. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

1.5 mile run
    50 mins. of hills
    1.5 mile run back

12. kabert

kabert Senior member

53 minutes on the Concept II, while watching Rambo IV.

13. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Yesterday:
    5 mile run, broke 40 mins., excited about that
    Core circuits

Today:
    10x500m: around 1:43.5 for 7 of the pieces, 1 was 1:46, another at 1:45, another at 1:42.
    300 situps
    200 jumpees
    100 pushups

14. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Ran 4 miles
    45 min. of core circuits
    Took oars and a launch off the water

15. CunningSmeagol

CunningSmeagol Senior member

I got 2k @ 7:28 a couple days ago. I am still trying to figure it out.