• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many designers wear their own clothes?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do you think Armani and Donatella wear the same shade of orange bronzer? He looks like a Cheeto.

As Hardy Amies was principally a womanswear designer/couturier with menswear licenses, he may not have worn Hardy Amies.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^You can just imagine them, RJ, kissing each other on the cheek saying, "No, YOU look fabulous." "NO, NO, Donatella, YOU look fabulous!" "No, No..." Meanwhile, both of them look like they tan regularly on Mercury. I doubt it as well for Hardy.
smile.gif
Probably he wears his menswear as much as Pierre Cardin wears his. Cardin's version of hell would probably be to be stuck for eternity being able ONLY to use items with his name on them. He could probably survive (his name is on just about everything), but it certainly wouldn't be a pleasurable existence.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by macuser3of5
wow, first picture I've ever seen of Margiela.

theres lots of people out there that say thats NOT him...

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by G.P.
I am pretty sure he almost always wears his own designs.

sure but he was wearing apcs that day and def not diors

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^I doubt it as well for Hardy.
smile.gif
Probably he wears his menswear as much as Pierre Cardin wears his.

As they said of Dirk Richter, "He's 85 years old and he's DEAD." Actually, he lived well into his 90s, cantankerous as ever.

Cardin's version of hell would probably be to be stuck for eternity being able ONLY to use items with his name on them. He could probably survive (his name is on just about everything), but it certainly wouldn't be a pleasurable existence.
Including terlets, but not jeans. He once famously declared his opposition to the jean. Actually, that may have changed -- I think I saw denim in his boutique. His boutique is a trip.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^I wish I had had the nerve to enter his boutique last time I was in Paris three or four years ago. I just walked past the front and said, "Wow, Cardin still has a boutique???" It definitely wasn't brimming over with customers...

tom2517

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
before Dior Homme launched denim in S/S 03 hedi wore his battered apc ns...good to hear he's gone back to them, in the 4 years his line produced denim they never topped the inspiration.

I am not surprised, Hedi and Dior split, no reason for him to continue to wear Dior.

Fade to Black

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tom2517
I am not surprised, Hedi and Dior split, no reason for him to continue to wear Dior.

you know...with the news going around about Hedi Slimane due to launch his eponymous line in F/W 09/10, a lot of people who hopped on the Dior bandwagon for the jeans commented they were looking forward to the denim. Having gone through 8 pairs of Dior jeans myself, I conclude that if someone mentions they wanna get "hedi slimane" jeans, I will tell them with confidence to go buy a pair of APC NS. I feel that captures Hedi's signature style better than any Diors ever did. Mix those with an HS black tailored jacket and chucks and one is set.

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
i love it when things don't fit or look the way they're SUPPOSED to. Contrived, maybe, but it's spontaneous.
I must adamantly disagree with that statement as a matter of principle

While we're talking about this, I must post this most disturbing picture of the owner of Abercrombie and Fitch. Because of this thread I just remembered the interview, which is one of the most hilarious things I've read about fashion. I think it's worth its own thread.
story.jpg

Medvald

Reaction score
Givency was a customer of Huntsman for bespoke. Famous designers have had suit made by Anderson and Sheppard, Ralph Lauren, Alan Flusser. Tom Ford for example had his tails and white tie made there. The chief designer of Louis Vuitton had a SR tailor make him a suit. Valentino always wears bespoke, never the mens clothes that bear his name.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiranandanihospital