• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Inaugural lighting to season the grill
20200404_153039.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know nobody cares but....

Didn't get the grill completely covered in oil to season but it's at least go a solid black coating. I can live with this for a while. And i can always reseason. The before was not pretty...

Looks like everything is good to go. Maybe shoulda cleaned the hood a bit more but oh well. Theres something loose somewhere with the hinge because i have to adjust the lid just a touch to latch it.

Just like everyone else temperature control is going to be a steep learning curve for me. It got at 450 and seemed to drop a bit partly because i couldn't build the fire well. I did buy a heat deflector already so.... next week i hope to make some ribs. Have a big csa basket so might not be much room on the week's menu.

All in all this was worth the walk and scrubbing. Really excited to play around with my toy!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Ed, I bet your standard $8 wok from an Asian market would fit right in that center spot. Build up a nice burn and that ****** would rip.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This reminds me... this time I only pulled what I was going to eat and kept the leftover part of the butt whole. That's definitely the way to go. It reheats juicier and doesn't get as much of that nasty oxidized flavor. I pull what I need off the cold shoulder and reheat in a foil packet in the toaster oven. Still tasty almost a week later.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Here's the buns I'll be making for my burgers.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the buns I'll be making for my burgers.

Let us know how they come.

I have made buns a few times before. I always find myself wishing i had just used the big marty’s oversized with sesame seeds. Its sort of like the way I feel when i make my own ketchup (vs heinz).

l

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ate it the next night with the rendered fat and some bbq sauce. Damn good. Tell me some more about smoking a tri tip. Was gonna do some rub, 225 for 90 minutes and the star on the Hestan. Anyone got some other advice? You guys helped on the pulled pork which was delicious.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ate it the next night with the rendered fat and some bbq sauce. Damn good. Tell me some more about smoking a tri tip. Was gonna do some rub, 225 for 90 minutes and the star on the Hestan. Anyone got some other advice? You guys helped on the pulled pork which was delicious.

Cook to temp with tri tip, not time. I recommend 135-140.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks bear. Then sear? Or go a little lighter on temp? Got an thermopro therm coming this week.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I smoke to 120 then quick sear on the IR.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tri tip is traditionally grilled, over oak wood. But there's no law against smoking them. ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads