• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So the cooking grill has a circular part you can remove. I cleaned that and reseasoned it today figuring that because both parts are sold separately i could save even a few bucks buy having one in decent shape.

And it is! It looks more like cast iron. I could've soaked it in lye to strip it but then I'd need to buy lye.

So i saw my success and returned to the main outter grill. Got that cleaned up pretty well after about an hour of scrubbing. I go to put it in the oven and.........it doesn't fit. I will see if it fits on my gas grill because even though it would be slightly ajar i dont need to heat and stink the house. Tbh i really could get away with using the grill now. I mean it isn't like people aren't using grills in this condition....
Get a motherfucking power washer, or take grates to a self wash carwash. Venmo me 50k for this tip.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know where the grill is guaranteed to fit and could get to a high enough temperature to season?

My akorn.

Im a fucking idiot.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Inaugural lighting to season the grill
20200404_153039.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know nobody cares but....

Didn't get the grill completely covered in oil to season but it's at least go a solid black coating. I can live with this for a while. And i can always reseason. The before was not pretty...

Looks like everything is good to go. Maybe shoulda cleaned the hood a bit more but oh well. Theres something loose somewhere with the hinge because i have to adjust the lid just a touch to latch it.

Just like everyone else temperature control is going to be a steep learning curve for me. It got at 450 and seemed to drop a bit partly because i couldn't build the fire well. I did buy a heat deflector already so.... next week i hope to make some ribs. Have a big csa basket so might not be much room on the week's menu.

All in all this was worth the walk and scrubbing. Really excited to play around with my toy!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Ed, I bet your standard $8 wok from an Asian market would fit right in that center spot. Build up a nice burn and that fucker would rip.

Van Veen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This reminds me... this time I only pulled what I was going to eat and kept the leftover part of the butt whole. That's definitely the way to go. It reheats juicier and doesn't get as much of that nasty oxidized flavor. I pull what I need off the cold shoulder and reheat in a foil packet in the toaster oven. Still tasty almost a week later.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Here's the buns I'll be making for my burgers.

Lizard23

Reaction score
Here's the buns I'll be making for my burgers.

Let us know how they come.

I have made buns a few times before. I always find myself wishing i had just used the big marty’s oversized with sesame seeds. Its sort of like the way I feel when i make my own ketchup (vs heinz).

l

Beckwith

Reaction score
Ate it the next night with the rendered fat and some bbq sauce. Damn good. Tell me some more about smoking a tri tip. Was gonna do some rub, 225 for 90 minutes and the star on the Hestan. Anyone got some other advice? You guys helped on the pulled pork which was delicious.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ate it the next night with the rendered fat and some bbq sauce. Damn good. Tell me some more about smoking a tri tip. Was gonna do some rub, 225 for 90 minutes and the star on the Hestan. Anyone got some other advice? You guys helped on the pulled pork which was delicious.
Cook to temp with tri tip, not time. I recommend 135-140.

Beckwith

Reaction score
Thanks bear. Then sear? Or go a little lighter on temp? Got an thermopro therm coming this week.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.