• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the second time this week that I've seen someone say that a high tie bar serves no purpose, but that makes no sense. Even where he has it, the bar keeps the tie lined up and will keep from dangling if you lean over with your jacket open. That's two purposes by my count.

Those clip-on 'spenders, tho... Choc, you need to move the clips just to the outside of each belt loop. They should clip on to the waistband roughly where your crease would terminate if extended to the top of the pants.

In my mind, a tie bar is there to stop a tie from dangling, not keep it up (as a tie pin would). So the ideal placement would be around your natural waist.

The only thing I can agree (and slightly I might add) is the tie, Sander. Does it look or is it a cheap tie to me? No.. but you own a tie company that makes terrific upscale ties so you have a point that I will concede to you ( by the way congrats on the shot out from rake magazine)..The tie bar is fine where it is.. any lower and thats dandy region.. I am not dandyish (those that are kill it on here consistently i.e Tira, Coxacie, Sug not to forget others)..the tie serves to keep a longer tie up a bit.. thats its function..the braces are also a good point.. I move them around quite a bit during the day.. right now they are placed on either side after the first belt loop..that might change when I go to lunch.. but I do get what you mean with that..

This^ and for that replaced with another pic taken where I had the suspenders more spread apart.. Thanks guys!

Thanks; I see it as Monkeyface below, a lower placement would be less dandy. But again, we're really nitpicking here; you always look great.

Isn't a lower tiebar less dandy? Where I wear it you can barely see it with your jacket closed, so it's inherently not as flashy. That's where it's original placement is also supposed to be, making it historically correct, if you care about those things. It's meant to keep the whole tie flat against your shirt, not just the top part.

Anyway, moving it up so that it can always be seen seems more dandy to me, but I guess it depends on what you mean by 'dandy'.

Isolation

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually now I can't under it it does seem a bit high, and I wonder if mine is too. I feel like moving it down half and inch or something would be more than fine, or a bit more just so it likes out, but that's my preference.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Kulata's using the tie bar to give the tie a 'roll'. Can't describe it right, but it's like foofing out a bit between the knot and the bar.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not dandyish (those that are kill it on here consistently i.e Tira, Coxacie, Sug not to forget others)..
That made me laugh. I agree that Sug kills it, but I think he's far from dandy. Yes, dandier than you, but still on the conservative side of things.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That made me laugh. I agree that Sug kills it, but I think he's far from dandy. Yes, dandier than you, but still on the conservative side of things.

you are right.. he is the only one that I could think of when I wrote that statement..but you are more of a dandy dresser... for some reason you did not pop in my head..
I think Kulata's using the tie bar to give the tie a 'roll'. Can't describe it right, but it's like foofing out a bit between the knot and the bar.
Im chocsosa, not kulata...lol

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
AS, what about today? Do the pants give me some dandy cred? ;)

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm still learning what plays well with this suit. The next time, I might go with a lighter blue shirt and a darker pocket square.
I think you're on the right track with your thinking. You could try a dark blue PS (a nice light grey suit like that is about the only thing they look good with), also darker brown, burgundy. White linen square fold would work too. I would stick to a plain shirt (blue or pink would work) as the stripes tend to clash a bit with the PoW check IMO. As for tie, the dark brown shantung works, as would summery prints like these if broken up with an unpatterned shirt as a backdrop:
Just my 2¢.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL @ that panda hat, SB. But wearing it at that angle may be a bit too dandified.
Speaking of which, of course the ideal placement of a tiebar is at the bottom of a deep dark drawer.

Edit: there seems to be a misunderstanding about the meaning of 'dandy'. IMO dandy is not the same as peacock, which seems to be the interpretation here. Am I right?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads